Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Fetterhund last won the day on December 12 2020

Fetterhund had the most liked content!

Community Reputation


About Fetterhund

Profile Information

  • Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
  • Gender
  • ChampCar Team Name
    Fetterhund Motorsports
  • Car 1 Year Make Model
    1997 BMW 528i

Recent Profile Visitors

244 profile views
  1. LOL right! The installer claimed to have decades of experience and has a shop. One positive from this is that it did spur me to start learning how to weld, and a couple sections of tube I have played with look quite a bit better than this and I did a functional job welding the exhaust, but not going to kid myself into welding a critical piece of safety gear. I have a proven and reputable person lined up for that.
  2. Pulled the garbage weld job roll cage out of the car in preparation for a new cage getting properly installed. I knew it was garbage before, but seeing it outside of the car just p****** me off. I got a reasonable settlement to try and make it right, but I am just amazed anyone thought to even try and pass this off...
  3. E46 options are about the same as the E39. Mostly expensive aftermarket options with not many factory retrofit options except for converting to M car diff or a lot of fabrication work. For my E39 I am planning on just running with the open diff to start and then assess from there.
  4. The 12". Ended up needing a new jack to raise the car high enough. Having all that room under the car, and knowing it was absolutely stable, paid for the stands in just the first time using them. Was able to get it all tacked together under the car, then dropped it out and fully weld it outside the car. I am finally happy with the exhaust, sounds good and is fairly quiet, and not raspy.
  5. Bought a full set of the Race Ramps stands and just flat out wonder why I didn't buy them sooner. Redid the exhaust, finally happy with it. Bonus is that I put my newly acquired welding skills to work and welded the exhaust myself.
  6. Looks like Wild Horse Pass raceway (formerly Firebird Raceway) is not long for this world.... Development at Wild Horse Pass | Arizona Opportunity Zone The development plan pretty much is on top of the existing track. Has to be a pretty substantial worry for Bondurant with them just coming out of bankruptcy... If this happens the only road course left in Phoenix will be AMP.
  7. For comparison the guy who messed up my roll cage weld job did this...
  8. I had some spare roll cage tubing and decided to give it a shot. I learned that the welder will trip the breaker in the garage, and tripping the breaker doesn't help make a good weld (you can probably tell in the pic where I lost power). Still gotta move slower.
  9. Starting to feel more comfortable. Worked through a few machine setup issues, having to troubleshoot a machine issue was a great learning experience. Consistency at travel speed is my biggest challenge.
  10. The E46 manifold has the catalytic converter as an integral part of the manifold where the M50 and M52 manifolds do not. I don't think the manifold is the reason for the power improvement as much as going to dual VANOS and the addition of DISA, different factory tuning, etc. The stock BMW manifolds are pretty decent for a factory setup. So I am guessing the tech desk ruling was trying to give "parity" as other cars could remove the catalytic converter without getting charged points for a manifold swap, so they allow switching to the older OEM manifolds.
  11. Figure the #1 thing that has caused me trouble on my build should the next skill I learn. I have a bunch of scraps laying around and a neighbor let me borrow his flux wire welder. It is more fun than I thought it would be. Some things gone better than others, but I like learning things. Going to practice this a bit more and put a gas welder 9n my shopping list. I just have to remember to not get the gun so far from the piece, and not move too quickly. Edit: removed broken picture
  12. I am going to start with open diff and see how it goes. A LSD certainly help with power delivery exiting a turn, but before I look into making changes there, I need to see just how much of an issue it ends up being. One thing I have learned is how many different diff housings BMW has used... way more than expected, and very minimal swap compatibility (although, admittedly, BMW forums are largely useless as they tend to lean towards "if it isn't an M or you turbo it, then leave it stock, or pay big BMW shops to big dollar items" and actual technical data is harder to find.
  13. I know a 540i has been done before, it will be interesting to find out if the lighter 528i does better with less fuel usage and a bit less weight. The primary weakness of the E39 is that there is no inexpensive LSD option for the car, and I am not a huge fan of welded diff's. Going to focus on getting the basic car done first, then start fine tuning.
  14. Have a reputable welder with proven work lined up. Had them inspect the existing cage. The previous welders work was described as "chicken poop" but perhaps with less kind language. So, ordering a new cage. All told, I have learned a ton through it, so not a total loss, perhaps an just expensive lesson. In the meantime I started planning a major clean up of the wiring and elimination of the BMW LCM and GM3 modules. Ordered a new fuel sender unit and will be re-pinning the factory sending unit connector a previous owner the car damaged.
  15. Thanks! I see the original post has also been updated. Now... just gotta see if I can get the car done for it!
  • Create New...