VIR Update

Vulcan

Fun race today.. we took a 2 hour break during the rainiest part of the day. Our tires were terrible.. Hankook RS-3's.. avoid them in the rain.

Otherwise we had a fun time. Over 320 laps I think. I ended up hitting the tirewall after Turn 13. Protip: Wet grass is slippery. Pushed out and thought I could go two off and hold it, but the car lost grip and just slid straight off instead  Minor damage, some dent pulling and repaint will get it all solved.

After the race I believe there were some protests during impound. I left before anything was resolved and announced so I'm looking forward to hearing what happened.

Finishing order didnt change.

I didn`t go down to impound to find out what happened down there.

Had a blast.  Our new car was fast, but handled like a$$-mange.  Never had a bigger smile in a chump race than when we out dragged Bio-Hazard on the straight :D

Now to do something about the shakey toe out on the rear, and POSTIVE camber on the rear...yikes!

-Chris

Finishing order didnt change.

I didn`t go down to impound to find out what happened down there.

Had a blast.  Our new car was fast, but handled like a$$-mange.  Never had a bigger smile in a chump race than when we out dragged Bio-Hazard on the straight :D

Now to do something about the shakey toe out on the rear, and POSTIVE camber on the rear...yikes!

-Chris

We fought you guys a few times.  Good racing!

The rain made it seem like a 24hr race.

I never knew I could push a car that hard in the rain.

The varying grip and visibility based on the rate of downfall and amount of drying was a really fun challenge.  From mist to semi-dry to a few moments of steady rain with multiple dry and re-wet periods  we really had it all.

Someone said over half were E30's?  Is that true?

SOO happy that the forecast turned out not to be quite the ominous drenching they were making it out to be.  It drizzled, it dried out, drizzled, rained, drizzled, dried out and we even saw a little glimpse of sun early in the evening.  Still, not the "bring an ark" rain event I think everyone was expecting.

We got off to a bit of a rocky start.  The radio didn't want to work at first due to a bad butt connector.  Why can't anything just work?  I was praying for more of a delayed start, but the fog cleared quickly enough and I saw the race start only a few minutes late.  We worked frantically to get it to work and finally did about 8:20.  My brother jumped in to take the first stint and we hit the track around 8:30.  Oh well, we had said from the start this was just to work out the bugs in the new car.

Funny, because it ran pretty flawlessly all day, much to my amazement (it was pretty much untested when we unloaded it).  Our PTT failed during the first stint so 2-way radio became 1-way.  We had a some oil consumption, but its chumpcar so no big surprise there.  Our kill switch handle fell off mid day and went under the driver seat.  We found it (and the bolt miraculously) and the car went back out quickly.  I found that we do need a defog fan when the real rain came down around 4pm.  And RS-3s really are pretty slick in the wet (grip like heck in the dry and have excellent wear though).  That was about the extent of it.  I was EXTREMELY pleased.

I had 3 drivers renting seats and all got 100% of their time.  They came out smiling and all seemed to have a blast.  I'm not sure why we get so much fuel dumping into the exhaust on decel, but the 1-2ft flames seem to be a big hit with the other drivers.  Even The Pobst came over to comment on it, lol.  For all that thought they were loud outside, you should hear them in the car! It wasn't causing any performance or safety issue, so what the heck, let 'er eat.  Our last driver finished his stint at about 6pm and we had climbed from high 60's up to 38, where we had hovered for 2 stints.  To me, that says volumes about the level of competition.  Since the car was still in one piece and we weren't fighting for a top-20, my brother and I decided we had a successful day and pulled the car behind the wall with smiles on our faces and high-5s all around.

I was super impressed with the driving for such adverse conditions.  I didn't see much car-car contact......which is really amazing for as slick as it was at times.   Kudos to all the drivers.  VIR is awesome as always and I actually liked the south course more than I thought I would.  You could see the nearly the whole track from pit road, which made it easy to spot our car, lol.  The chumpstaff do such an excellent job putting on their events...I can't say enough about them.

We do have some video, thought I've been told our mount was a low in the car.  I'll post up what I can.

Congrats to the winners!!  I haven't seen who actually took podium, but the usual suspects were running up top all day.  I'm sure it was a hard fought battle.

-Ryan

AUF Racing Yellowturd

• Like 4

Jerminator and I were there for out first event volunteering and had a great time. Could only work 8 hours due to having to relieve my wife from baby duty, so we didn't see the finish, but really enjoyed being out there. Learned some stuff, met some great people, okkustom talked us into running the kart race at VIR in May to get some W2W time prior to our showing up in August.

While the volunteering was fun, I noticed that after a few hours to pay attention to everything and get used to being out there, my right leg started itchin pretty good. Can't wait for August.

• Like 2

Would like to congratulate all my fellow chumpcar drivers. I expected a lot of carnage due to the weather but it turned out to be one of the cleanist races I've seen in our four years with chumpcar. Congrats to the podium finishers and thanks to Mike and and all the chumpcar staff for a great weekend. Hillbilly

• Like 2

Well, what at race!  We had a good time in spite of a terrible ending.  The new Pig, Porky was OK with Charity package driver Martin starting for us, second race ever, first in this car and first in the wet.  He did a great job.  Nick, our senior driver hopped in next also doing fine in tricky conditions.  Fuel and I jumped in for stint three having a good time with traffic.  Was delighted race went a long time without a safety car.  Spent much of the race in the top twenty, as high as 13th.  There did seem to be a bit more than usual pushing & shoving going on.  In one of my stints I caught a pack of traffic with several other fast, probably front running cars.  Got up the inside on one at Oak tree using slower traffic to favor.  Once on the straight I was also using traffic to favor and this one car just kept pushing over banging me once before I said screw it and opened a hole for them.  

Alas all went wrong in the last ten minutes or so.  A brake problem had been developing in the last 90 minutes or so.  They went wrong big time at the worst possible time at end of straight and Porky went hard into tire wall.

Kudos to the Chump crew for another great event!

• Like 1

Fast drivers and a car with no problems. Surprise it can win...

I got to fill-in and was invited to drive a new ChumpCar. #365 Orange E30. It was a blast. First two hours was more or less a shake down but built well I was up to speed quickly. Did 8-10am and then 6-8pm. Was a blast. Wish I did decide to charge camera back up for video of the second stint.

Another event ran well. Another fun event. A blast to drive and a blast to photograph - See my other thread.

After Road Atlanta and this event I am seriously at a loss though as to the new valuation and rules. BMW E30s and E36s get nerfed. The E36s seem to be around the same speed. When driving in a stock M20 E30 I can stay with them in corners and braking. Lose out on the straights. I get it. E30s got at least 100 but more like 200 dollar increase and they seem to have gotten FASTER across the board. I know of more than one(more like every single one) that would exit Oak Tree many cars behind and STORM past like I was not even moving. Almost every lap an E30 around me I would pull them out of the corner at exit and then once rolling they are gone. Out of sight.

Then we have the same cars... Legend. Integra. Etc. All making the BMWs look like they are standing still on the straights and they seemingly have no one caring about them. I don't know what motor was in the green Integra but lordy. It seems the BMWs have been made the 'bad guys' but I think a lot of people are just turning away from where else speed creep is coming from.

And that only carried over into impound. LOTS of people with the cell phones and flash lights pulled out. Making comments about stuff that is actually stock on the E36... from a respected BMW Shop... while the other 4 cars are left mostly bare. No one cares that the Legend gets a Top5 at every race(I believe) that they don't have a mechanical problem. I know it's beating a dead horse at this point but two races into my 'season' and a bit lost.

• Like 1

Fast drivers and a car with no problems. Surprise it can win...

I got to fill-in and was invited to drive a new ChumpCar. #365 Orange E30. It was a blast. First two hours was more or less a shake down but built well I was up to speed quickly. Did 8-10am and then 6-8pm. Was a blast. Wish I did decide to charge camera back up for video of the second stint.

Another event ran well. Another fun event. A blast to drive and a blast to photograph - See my other thread.

After Road Atlanta and this event I am seriously at a loss though as to the new valuation and rules. BMW E30s and E36s get nerfed. The E36s seem to be around the same speed. When driving in a stock M20 E30 I can stay with them in corners and braking. Lose out on the straights. I get it. E30s got at least 100 but more like 200 dollar increase and they seem to have gotten FASTER across the board. I know of more than one(more like every single one) that would exit Oak Tree many cars behind and STORM past like I was not even moving. Almost every lap an E30 around me I would pull them out of the corner at exit and then once rolling they are gone. Out of sight.

Then we have the same cars... Legend. Integra. Etc. All making the BMWs look like they are standing still on the straights and they seemingly have no one caring about them. I don't know what motor was in the green Integra but lordy. It seems the BMWs have been made the 'bad guys' but I think a lot of people are just turning away from where else speed creep is coming from.

And that only carried over into impound. LOTS of people with the cell phones and flash lights pulled out. Making comments about stuff that is actually stock on the E36... from a respected BMW Shop... while the other 4 cars are left mostly bare. No one cares that the Legend gets a Top5 at every race(I believe) that they don't have a mechanical problem. I know it's beating a dead horse at this point but two races into my 'season' and a bit lost.

Umm......huh?

You were driving a E3x which could keep up with other E3xs ... or not and the E36 that won was well driven but compared to the other cars it was something and then there was a large foam ball thrown by someone using a Honda with speed creep.

Did I get that about correct?

VIR-S is a momentum track in many ways so cars able to carry speed thru the corners will be quite quick upon exit.

I'd also be willing to bet that the top 5 teams and probably most of the top 10 placing teams are based within a two hour radius of VIR.

I myself probably have 30 hours of experience on South Course and I can tell you getting a rhythm there is fairly easy.

How many BMWS were entered?

A great race weekend, congrats to the top teams, regardless of what you ran. As usual Chump Staff put on a great event. Racing in the rain made it interesting but was great for getting experience especially in a rear wheel drive. Our Firebird ran well until the rear end gave out and we had to retire with two hours left.

• Like 2