Reports from NJMP Please

kent merkle

So far I here that 12 of 33 cars are already out!!!

#shouldhavetakenshad

Yes, lots of mechanical problems for people today. I am not sure of any details but there were quite a few e30/e36s with issues early on. We were laying down quite the smoke screen with the "new" 1969 cougar the first few laps. Turns out the trans case has a crack. After a tranny swap we got to drive the new boat. I figured out jumping curbs in big old cars with leaf spring rear suspension is a ton of fun.

• Like 1

Yes, lots of mechanical problems for people today. I am not sure of any details but there were quite a few e30/e36s with issues early on. We were laying down quite the smoke screen with the "new" 1969 cougar the first few laps. Turns out the trans case has a crack. After a tranny swap we got to drive the new boat. I figured out jumping curbs in big old cars with leaf spring rear suspension is a ton of fun.

It didn't happen if we don't see pictures or video.

Seems like jumping curbs and a cracked trans case could be related.

Does anyone have guesses as to why the turnout was so low? I expected to see 40-50 teams at this awesome track.

I heard from several folks that Lightning "isn't their favorite", and some folks who are doing Summit and/or WGI and couldn't swing it.  Team Wrec Miata was there, new livery included, and had an absolute blast.  We thought the track was a lot of fun, and there was a lot of very close, very courteous racing going on (for the most part).  I have a feeling that next years turnout will be higher ;-)

I'll be putting up some highlight (and obligitory lowlight) vids later this week, but here's 8 min of intense (for me anyway) racing.  Basically me finding and chasing down a pack of cars, passing most of them, screwing the pooch, having them all pass me, wash rinse repeat...

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_6ipsDrPCo&feature=youtu.be

• Like 1

Does anyone have guesses as to why the turnout was so low? I expected to see 40-50 teams at this awesome track.

It's probably a timing thing- it was for us this year.  We went two years ago and loved the track- very fun to race on, but had the same low turnout- less than 30 I think.  the would be an awesome event with about 60 cars on track. 

We hope it stays on the schedule and we'll probably go next year.

So what are the results?

Two problems with timing:

1) There was an SCCA race, the Devil in the Dark, a 12 hour race on NJMP Thunderbolt that ran Saturday noon to midnight. It's a somewhat famous race in these parts.   The SCCA is scrambling and opened it up to crapcan racers this year who can prove their experience level, so that siphoned off 5-10 teams, and

2) There's a LeMons race at NJMP in two weeks.  Many local teams are hooked into Lemons and haven't tried Chump or enjoy the LeMons format more. 

I hope Chump comes back to NJMP, too, but maybe with a date further separated from these other events.  The track is fun, and it was a great weekend.  The results are up on Mylaps.  I can try to post them here, give me a sec. 

• Like 1

Two problems with timing:

1) There was an SCCA race, the Devil in the Dark, a 12 hour race on NJMP Thunderbolt that ran Saturday noon to midnight. It's a somewhat famous race in these parts.   The SCCA is scrambling and opened it up to crapcan racers this year who can prove their experience level, so that siphoned off 5-10 teams, and

2) There's a LeMons race at NJMP in two weeks.  Many local teams are hooked into Lemons and haven't tried Chump or enjoy the LeMons format more. 

I hope Chump comes back to NJMP, too, but maybe with a date further separated from these other events.  The track is fun, and it was a great weekend.  The results are up on Mylaps.  I can try to post them here, give me a sec. 

LeMons CMP Spring race is this coming weekend also.  May have some crossover effect.

Nice video. Great driving! We had a blast racing with you all this weekend. This was our first Chumpcar race as we progress away from Lemons. See ya at Watkins Glen. #444

Thanks, it was great having you guys out there.  Hopefully someone let you guys know you won the "Team that best demonstrates the spirit of ChumpCar" award.  Talk to Mike Chisek, I think there was a prize!

• Like 1

Actually, for the first time ever I think, I don't have a single complaint about anyone's driving.  There were cars that were tougher to get around than others, but no douchebags or donkey hattery that i saw.  I think the offs were mostly the result of an open track and people pushing the limits.  But I do note that I think I've been to everyone of Mike's come to Jesus talks.  hmmmmm  

• Like 3

This isn't much of a "race report" considering how little actual racing we got in, but here it is...

We arrived with our brand new car around 1PM on Friday, with a heads up from 2 of our more punctual drivers to expect temporary arrangements for tech and paddock.  All in all, it worked out pretty well, though some of the last minute things we wanted to do were a little sketchy being parked on grass with 10mph winds (the wind and sun were non-stop all three days, with short interludes of rain overnight). 

Had to rewire the kill switch (twice) due to the ridiculous loopbacks in the stock Nissan wiring, but finally figured it out.  Put our mad scientist electrical guys to work on that while the hammer swingers among us put on the number plates and decals.  Got the car teched and added some improvements as suggested by Phil (great guy, first time I've met him), even made it under the $500 mark (just).  After we got into the paddock and were able to putter around in the car a bit, realized my "eyeball and string" alignment" just wasn't going to cut it, and decided we would sacrifice Saturday track time for safety and sent the car off bright and early Saturday morning to get corrected. (for reference, the Sears Auto in Millville did a phenomenal job, so if you ever need an emergency fix, now you know)

Car got back around 10:30 or so, and we jumped on to get it out on track.  Realized our temp gauge wasn't working (bad idea on a brand new car) so got that fixed, and finally sent our first driver out after noon.

He reported that the car felt really good, and the tires and brakes were coming up to temp nicely, when on the start of his third lap, the front half of the crank pulley sheared off its bolts, went clanging along the bottom of the car, and bounced its way off into the grass entering Turn 1.  Lost us water pump and power steering, and thus ended our racing day.  

Thought for sure we were done as we exhausted every craigslist ad, parts store, scrap yard and internet forum trying to track down a replacement, when to our amazement, in comes our pulley from the track in the hands of the pit lane ChumpStaff! It was battered and bent and no rational human being would ever think it was fixable... you can guess the rest of that statement!

Two hours of Vice-Grip prying, screwdriver chiseling and punching, grinding wheels, welders, more grinding wheels and pure stupid human tricks, we were able to bolt that damn thing on with a fresh belt and against all reason the motor fired right back up and it ran true (enough) to get us into the race Sunday morning!

Sunday dawned sunny and windy again, but we hit the track ready!  Changed the oil, checked all the fluids, and sent our second driver out to take the green!  We felt great!  Then coming out of the Lightbulb the radio call came in "lost all drive"...  Rolled in, pushed across the start/finish for our first (and only) timed lap of Sunday.  Maybe if we'd pushed a bit faster we could have beaten Rusty Cougar, but they had just enough smoke left in there to make it down pit lane ahead of us ;-)

The flywheel (in some fashion) was no longer concentric with, nor attached to, the crankshaft.  As of yet I have NO idea what the final analysis will reveal... hoping like crazy that it didn't take out the end of the crank.  Spare trannies I've got, spare motors, not so much.

Huge thanks to my teammates for putting up with me and my stressing over the brand new car, and apologies to them as well for the bizarre failures.  

Big thanks also to the entire ChumpStaff for their patience, and to the NJMP safety team for the Saturday tow in (as well as the Sunday assist up that hill into the paddock, that's steeper than it looks).

Nice to meet our paddock mates, we seemed to be a bit of a trio between the Shark guys on one side (love those 635's) and the F-Body guys to our right, both of which had to do some major overnight repairs Saturday into Sunday.. nice to see you make it out on Sunday!

Onward to WGI!

Hey we had a great time. (car 301 white Fireturd trans am) This was our 1st outing and although we only made a few laps Sat Sunday was fun. We had brake issues Sat that went into the night. The guys did a great job basially rebulit the front end and hanging new brakes while I attended a wedding <_<  Sunda was fun and the car hitting on 6 out of 8 made it all day w/o any mechanical issues. Ended up in 20th just putting around and taking 10 minute pit stops. Thanks for not putting us in the paddock. We'll have the engine suspention and brakes sorted for the next race to be more competitive. Car seemed prety decent in the corners even w/ the 170k springs, bushings, links sitting about 3" too high.  Again thanks we had fun.

• Like 1

Jason, I like the big breath after the off.

Some nice driving there though, looks like you were having a ton of fun.

Scott

I heard from several folks that Lightning "isn't their favorite", and some folks who are doing Summit and/or WGI and couldn't swing it.  Team Wrec Miata was there, new livery included, and had an absolute blast.  We thought the track was a lot of fun, and there was a lot of very close, very courteous racing going on (for the most part).  I have a feeling that next years turnout will be higher ;-)

I'll be putting up some highlight (and obligitory lowlight) vids later this week, but here's 8 min of intense (for me anyway) racing.  Basically me finding and chasing down a pack of cars, passing most of them, screwing the pooch, having them all pass me, wash rinse repeat...

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_6ipsDrPCo&feature=youtu.be

Thanks, it was great having you guys out there. Hopefully someone let you guys know you won the "Team that best demonstrates the spirit of ChumpCar" award. Talk to Mike Chisek, I think there was a prize!

I'm embarrassed that we weren't at the ceremony to receive it. We were actually helping some of our less fortunate neighbors load there cars. Mike did find us before we pulled out and gave us this BADASS scorpion trophy. Hopefully next race we'll compete for the win. Most of the teams welcomed us openly, and we made some great new friends. The teams that were condescending to our lemons themed car had karma kick them where it hurts. I did try to find the driver of the 131 who I battled A LOT and apologize if he felt I was holding him up. We were both faster on different parts of the track. I also wish I knew who was driving the Froogle car, he had an incredible save in the S's with me right behind, incredible driving, I sure know my hands were working to avoid a collision. All in all it was the best weekend of racing we've ever had, and we'll be transitioning out of Lemons and into Chump permanently.
  • Like 3