3rd - Simon Says - 63 - Acura Integra

Laps - Saturday

Sunday:

1st - MR2 Biohazard - 381 - Toyota MR2

2nd - Drunken Squirrel Racing - 72 - Mercury Cougar

3rd - Metric Homes Racing - 296 - BMW 325

Laps - Sunday

Myglobik-watkins-glen-map.jpg

This historic track, founded in 1948 and featuring 11 turns on a 3.4 mile course offers  ChumpCar teams a challenging and beyond exciting venue. On Day 2, Saturday 5/24, we started with 72 cars taking the green flag, but eventually 76 cars logging laps. Despite a few catastrophic failures during yesterday's event, several miracles took place overnight including #747 18091Motorsports.com, who blew an engine but found one on Craigslist and performed an engine swap til the wee hours. Additionally the Honda of Team Karl-Noski-Roessell #22 blew a hole in their block, managed to locate another Honda in a field 10 miles from the track and talked the owner out an engine.  At 4am this morning, they're back in action!  #17 Playschool, a Chevy Lumina lost an engine as well but had a Rochester-based team mate that scored at the local wrecking yard. After dropping the new engine in, the car immediately fired right up and took the green flag on Day 2.

Let's hope today these chumps can keep the tires on their cars...we had two wheels that had a race of their own...not attached to their respective cars!

Just over two hours into today's race, the race leaders are...

1st Place - #381 MR2 Biohazard

2nd Place #4 Mopar 4 Life

3rd Place #63 Simon Says

4th Place #83 Maximum Oversteer

5th Place #429 Bogie Men Racing

10380726_10152424097252346_246999433730310365560_10152424136897346_7143213699157

The fastest lap time at The Glen for today so far... #381 MR2 Biohazard... 2.17991. Photo courtesy of J.Schneeberger Turn 6 photos

6 Hours of racing at The Glen completed; 2 hours remain. Current results:
1st Place - #63 Simon Says 
2nd Place- #381 MR2 Biohazard
3rd Place - #4 Mopar 4 Life
4th Place- #82 Laughing Clown
5th Place - #72 Drunken Squirrel Racing

1614271_10152424530917346_69547849276943

• Administrators

just got done rebuilding my nose and replacing the transmission. i lost third gear and back the car into the guard rail while leading this morning. car is rebuilt now. hopefully it run later this morning. quiet time. so we cant test.

Guest posnova

Sorry, I didn't post the results for Saturday to mylaps yet.  Lap charts are above (it'll work for now).  I'll get it done this afternoon :)

A Watkins Glen race experience would not be complete without a visit to the incredibly historic Tavern Room at Seneca Lodge. The main lodge was built in time for the first Grand Prix in The Glen, in 1948... the first post WWII road race in America.  Behind the bar, laurel wreaths from the Formula 1 races of the 1970s hang from hundreds of arrows shot into the wall by ace archers who frequent the lodge for archery championships. Suspended from the ceiling are Tires from NASCAR champions.

1966741_10152427213512346_62253618493554

• Like 2

Day 3 at The Glen started with 70 cars (down from 90 teams on Day 1)...btw, the pace truck has a transponder and is in 65 place! Photo courtesy of Matthew Boyce. Current race leaders are:

1st Place #381 MR2 Biohazard
2nd Place #72 Drunken Squirrel Racing
3rd Place #411 Schultz N Co
4th Place #30 Team Koko
5th Place #66 Bavarian Mustache Werks

1966741_10152427188992346_76833272747318
  • Like 2

DAY 3 ***UNOFFICIAL RESULTS***  Top 5 cars headed to impound after racing 435 miles in the last six hours!

1st Place #381 MR2 Biohazard

2nd Place #72  Drunken Squirrel Racing

3rd Place #296 Metric Homes Racing

4th Place #66 Bavarian Mustache Werks

5th Place #30 Team Koko

Photos courtesy of Matthew Boyce Photography

10369192_10152427357922346_8150825650667

• Like 1

Team PunisherGP would just like to thank the organizers and fellow racers on a marvelous weekend of racing at the Glen.  Our first Chumpcar outing was amazing.  Amazingly both of our buzz boxes finished without a mechanical or race incident.  See you at Limerock!

grid.JPG

• Like 3

• Administrators

Much more organized event than the year before. Thanks to Wendy, Sal, Chris and crew! One hell of an event! Though tech for me was a complain. But now no one should be able to complain as I was put through 3 sets of tech inspectors.

Fridays race. Saw us having synchro issues on third gear. My driver entering turn one did not leave enough room for the #99 BMW and they collided. Breaking the left ball joint. After a left front suspension replacement we got back out. With a half hour to go a radiator hose burst. Done for race 1.

Day two started good. But I lost third in the toe of the boot and backed the yellow mr2 hard into the inside guard rail. It broke the splitter and later we discovered the rear trunk lid mountings were severly damaged. Quick repair got us back out. Later some front crash damage blocked flow to the radiator. This end ed our day. We learned how to drive the track with minimal third gear. The last stint third gear was gone and we called it a day with an hour to go. Third gear is required with our car on this track.

So we started at 6pm on a transaxle swap. I rebuilt a trans, my first one, a few weeks ago. It worked perfect. Except for reverse. Had no reverse. I let my guys rebuilt the front of the car while three of us attacked the trans. They did a great job of building a new splitter and rad intake. We finished at 2am.

Race three. Car is awesome. We are equal to bio, simon says honda, the rally baby 318ti, and the cougar. We were battling in the top ten when my made a mental mistake, allowing the mr2 to bite him. He banged up the nose and bent a rim. We got him fixed quick and back out. We were back up in the top 20 with 45 minutes to go when driver pulled the car off the track. The slave cylinder attaches to the transaxle. The bolts that hold the assembly together stripped out and failed. No way to find any gears as the selector cables attach here as well. Day done.

Fun but frustrating weekend. It was great to see teams we have been racing with since 2009.

• Like 4

Chumpcar wgi rookie report:

After all my whining about rules, tech went very well, and after complaining about camping fees , I was delighted that we had full use of the facilities including hot showers.

To the chump that said I would never be happy doing anything. .... well, you couldn't be any more wrong. All of the 91 Chump street team had the time of our lives . We are hooked. We shocked ourselves how competitive we were our first chumpcar event and finished all 3 races with a top 20 saturday. Our pit mates team Shults were super cool.

There were many levels of racing skill there. A few a$$hats out there but mostly good racers.I only used the one finger solute once all weekend. Very exciting. My brother and myself were the only drivers and got more real race experience than most people get in a year. I have been involved in several types of racing and the racers and chumpcar community is by far the best crowd ever.

Many thanks to all the people that made this event happen start to finish.

Oh! And..... FREE LEXAN!

• Like 3

Thanks to the Staff for a great weekend, and the weather was nearly perfect on Saturday while I was there.  Wish I could have run all three days but it wasn't meant to be.  Ran with the #149 / #49 guys in a well set-up car.  I need more FWD seat time to wring out the time I left in the corners so hopefully I wasn't too much in the way.

I must say I thought everyone I was around raced me very cleanly.  Three wide into T-1 / T-2 is a hoot.   B)  

• Like 1

WOW,  what a weekend.   our first ever chump event and what a track to start on.  amazing group of ppl to race with and learn from. sundays racing was espically interesting with all the contact hahaha.   can't wait for out next one at calabogie :D