Road America June 2014

Chris and I from 4CGM had a great time this weekend at Road America driving for ABR. First off a huge thanks to Glen for inviting us to drive with them, it was a blast.

We arrived at the track Saturday morning and got to enjoy watching the World Challenge, Trans Am and NASCAR races all weekend before our turn on Monday. It was an action packed weekend.

ABR-Glen and the Forum All-stars (LateBreak, skierman64, smileyke, and Mike S the BMW Instructor from MN) had a great weekend. Got to the track on Thursday and took in some exciting racing all weekend, finally got a chance to go explore Road America beyond the paddock (what an amazing place), helped out with the USCA event on Sunday and had a great race on Monday. Big props to the central region staff going out of their way to make sure everyone had a great time, heck they even cooked me a steak dinner :wub: .

We had some manageable mechanical issues, but critically failed to implement a viable backup plan when the original strategy fell apart, although honestly I was having more fun when the pressure to win was gone (maybe that was just because I was finally in the car  B)) . Most importantly though we recovered from major mechanical issues getting the car ready for this race over the last two months, I really thought I was going to have to pull the plug at one point. My rental drivers were probably a little nervous to see how much stuff was still left to do at the track, but they took good care of what we ended up with and getting everyone the most seat time for their money is always our highest goal, so I thank them all their help and doing their part. I probably owe the most thanks to my very patient wife who I'm sure will be expecting some significant compensation for all the garage time I've racked up :ph34r:  

Congrats to NLM on a well deserved win, putting down 6 more laps than anyone else. Apologies to the Speed Concepts car, whom I was enjoying a great battle with before I forced them into a big smokey 4 wheel lock up spin at the bend, I hope no harm came from it. Also to the Stinky Rat Trap car who was surprised by the difference in my pace when the call came in on the radio to stop saving fuel and go for it. Fun to see lots of new cars run well and great variety throughout the field. The Festiva is exceptional, I never would have thought it had that much potential and they have gotten there very quickly. 

Finally, I would like to announce a significant milestone. This race our car completed it's 1,000th lap of Road America  :D. I think we are possibly the first ChumpCar to do so. When we first came to this track I thought it would take forever to learn with 14 corners to figure out and only about 30 laps each stint to work on it. I think I've actually gotten pretty competent at it now and I appreciate that ChumpCar has given me the opportunity to do what I would have never thought possible four years ago having never even driven a road course. 

• Like 6

• Technical Advisory Committee

Finally, I would like to announce a significant milestone. This race our car completed it's 1,000th lap of Road America  . I think we are possibly the first ChumpCar to do so.

Saturday 2011:113

Sunday 2011:95

2012 Spring: 43

2012 fall Sat: 78

2012 fall Sun: 2

2013 Sat: 94

2013 Sun: 8

2013 Chumpionship: 266

2014:153

Our old 88' Integra has run every Chumpcar Road America event. However  it has only completed 852 laps. 

Ludicrous Speed #162 with the Blue MR2 had a great time.  The car worked pretty well, just a little down on power, but no failures.  We had to quickly find a hub after Gingerman last weekend.  We didn't have any contact or spins, and some great battles.  I went side by side with ABR through corner 1 two laps in a row.  It was fun battling since we were fast in different places.  We are looking forward to the fall event!

Chris Shay

• Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee

Also to the Stinky Rat Trap car who was surprised by the difference in my pace when the call came in on the radio to stop saving fuel and go for it.

Nice run ABR!   And I'll say, you certainly went for it at the end.  Fastest lap on 160 of 176?  And then a possibly second fastest lap, less than 1/10th sec slower on the LAST LAP?

Only team to beat that would be that Lotus with their fastest lap on the final.

Pretty impressive to see so many cars running their fastest laps in the last handful of laps!  Love it, seeing how most teams still running hard all the way to checkered.   Would have liked to be there in person.

Thanks, we had been conserving fuel since the second stint, but fell short of a 4 stop strategy. In the last stint we bluffed and ran hard hoping to force NLM to make the same mistake, but it was too late. If it had rained any longer in the morning or we had a single full course caution all day we would have been fine. I will say that driving slow is very difficult, there is almost no rhythm when you are trying to maintain maximum momentum through the corners but lollygagging down the straights, it was such a relief to put the hammer down. 

• Like 4

I had a blast at this race, thanks again to Glen for the invite. With fuel conservation I didn't really battle anyone on the track but still had fun and enjoyed every lap, it's always a treat to drive around Road America, doubly so after watching the Pro's run around on it for the 3 days prior.

PS - If you didn't come for the World Challenge/Trans Am/Nascar/OUSCI during the weekend, you missed out, put it on your calendar for next year if they do it again.

• Like 2