Lime Rock 7/21/14

Proud to have put the #137 WTCF Civic in 5th place. What we lacked in straightaway handling was made up for in the corners. 4 drivers with tons of track time and knowledge helped a ton too.

Good job to everyone for keeping it clean. Only 2 fcy was a huge pleasant surprise, it's such a challenging place to race on.

Thanks to Chump and LRP, we'd do it again.

Will

i feel really bad for rb bank.  they had us on pace and passed with about 45 minutes to go.  i stayed within a couple seconds of them.  i had a front row seat of the accident that took them out while they tried to pass the red mr2.

they had us beat.

• Like 2

Fantastic racing today who had a chance to see the little green 318ti? Very consistent and polite while setting the fastest lap! Anyone know who they are?

It's been around the east for quite a while and has always laid down quick laps. Formerly know as Walk of Shame Racing - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Walk-of-Shame-Racing/226657837346014

That is a fun track and the community around it is very picturesque and interesting. Drunken Squirrel Racing had a handful of mechanical/electrical problems that ended in our first DNF. The problems started Sunday with a much higher than expected decibel level. After getting the car loaded back on the trailer and touring the area for two hours we had two shiny new mufflers to install. Of course the old mufflers with thousands of race miles on them didn't want to go easy. Another couple hours of chop, cut and rebuild the new mufflers didn't seem to do much of anything and each of our smartphones was reporting a different db level. We decided to cross our fingers and hope of the best.

When we finally made it to the starting grid Monday morning, the starter decided it was done. We'd be push starting and praying not to stall when picking up or dropping off the pit timers for the duration of the race.

The first stint was going well and Darin set the bar at a 1:03.638 until a corner worker thought the hood was going to fly away. This sentiment is fairly common among people who have never seen the Cougar run. So our first unscheduled stop included drilling holes in the hood and strapping it down with bungee cords.

Not too far into the second stint the left fender decided to let loose from the front support and act like a wing flapping around the track. A déjà vu moment from the Watkins Glen race of the opposite fender. Sawzall and duct tape to the rescue. On the out lap there was a miss understanding and lack of communication between a new driver chump driver and Jerry ended in the penalty box for 5 minutes. The rest of the stint appeared to be going well until the passenger rear tire went down. Luckily it was at the very end of the stint and we were ready in the pits.

My turn in the car. It took about a lap to realize that the new mufflers must be working because I couldn't hear my normal cues to shift. After bouncing off the rev limiter in several inconvenient spots I learned to start watching the tach. I was lucky enough to enjoy a problem free stint. With each lap ending in a little over one minute, it is such a neat track for trying different lines, braking points, turn in points and jumps off the uphill. Nothing like Watkins Glen where you have to make your way all the way around the track and forget what you did last lap or Summit Point - Shenandoah where you've turned so many times that you're trying to keep lunch down.

What turned out to be our last stint left Matt thinking the motor was giving up. It would buck, spit, choke and puke at seemingly random times. We tried fiddling with wires and preparing a replacement alternator and cam sensor while he tried to get around the track. While some of the wire fiddling was in full swing Jerry gave that failed starter cable a yank and saw fireworks. Wire cutters, zip ties and duct tape sent Matt back out with a full functioning car, so we thought.

As usual, Matt was starting to turn some impressive lap times and driving like he's in a golf cart. Somewhere, as he describes it, he was pulling a "particularly hairy move" when he thought a tire blew, no wait "maybe it's a wheel bearing." Then again, "I don't think I have any brakes." Coming into the pits the driver side front wheel looked like it had a little more negative camber than usual. A quick inspection revealed half a missing brake caliper bracket. Further inspection revealed a floppy spindle. No problem, grab a spare assembly and slap it in. So, here's a new/old spindle and strut but where's the caliper bracket? Guess we didn't think of the caliper bracket being a consumable item.

Game over, not a bracket to be found and no one was willing to drive with just one front brake. So ends our streak of finishing every race. Many thanks to all that made this race happen and the teams that came out to compete!

• Like 1

Let me start by saying what a beautiful facility in an amazing setting.  We ended up staying in a B&B across from the track entrance that was built in the 1740's, slightly better than our last stay in Charles Town WV!

Our race was eventful to say the least.  Our 9 hour drive home allowed all of us to come to the conclusion that even without mechanical maladies, Lime Rock may not be the best track for the big Audi.  Momentum was key and we just could not carry the speed through the corners that the other cars could.  We made it up to P6, then our accelerator stuck wide open (insert Audi jokes here.)  As it turns out, we had a little fire coaxing the motor back to life after its 15-18 year nap, and some of the residual extinguisher residue seemed to have turned into goo, and caused the throttle to stick open at one of the odd turns it takes on its journey under the rear of the intake to the front of the motor.

After fixing that, I went out and enjoyed maybe 25 minutes of driving until the brake pedal would go to the floor with no front brakes, only the rears locking up.  It turns out we boiled the fluid, but we could not get the system to even bleed for 45-50 minutes until it finally cooled down enough.  We then went back out and enjoyed two stints, trying to give the leaders plenty of room.

The day ended with me running out of gas with like 8 minutes left.  I pulled over to the safe zone just at the entrance to no name straight.  I explained that I had run out of fuel so they pushed me back to a safe location to wait for the end of the race.  Then one of the crew came back and offered me a cold bottled water, a very nice touch.  Then a few minutes later, another worker came over and the conversation went something like this.  "You guys put on a hell of a show!  Are you an SCCA member?" To which I replied no.  "F&$* SCCA, those guys come out for 20 or 30 minutes and think they are doing something.  Chump comes out and races hard and clean ALL DAY.  The cars may be wrinkled up but that's because your actually racing.  I hope you guys get to come back."  I told him how great a track it was, and hoped we would be invited back.

I apologize for any grammatical errors, chalk it up to lack of sleep.

• Like 8

sport sports blew a head gasket in the first couple laps...   we sourced a spare at a parts store about half an hour away and got it all swapped and running getting about 3 hours and change to enjoy the track.

It was my first time at lime rock and the track was just as technical and fun as everybody told me it was, I really want to get some more track time and finish figuring it out.

did anyboody else find that driving this track for an hour felt like two and most other tracks?

sport sports blew a head gasket in the first couple laps...   we sourced a spare at a parts store about half an hour away and got it all swapped and running getting about 3 hours and change to enjoy the track.

It was my first time at lime rock and the track was just as technical and fun as everybody told me it was, I really want to get some more track time and finish figuring it out.

did anyboody else find that driving this track for an hour felt like two and most other tracks?

I started the second stint under green and Finished under green an hour and a hAlf later. It was physically challenging.

I liked how competitive our little car was compared to the big horsepower cars.

As usual, Matt was starting to turn some impressive lap times and driving like he's in a golf cart. Somewhere, as he describes it, he was pulling a "particularly hairy move" when he thought a tire blew, no wait "maybe it's a wheel bearing." Then again, "I don't think I have any brakes." Coming into the pits the driver side front wheel looked like it had a little more negative camber than usual. A quick inspection revealed half a missing brake caliper bracket. Further inspection revealed a floppy spindle. No problem, grab a spare assembly and slap it in. So, here's a new/old spindle and strut but where's the caliper bracket? Guess we didn't think of the caliper bracket being a consumable item.

Game over, not a bracket to be found and no one was willing to drive with just one front brake. So ends our streak of finishing every race. Many thanks to all that made this race happen and the teams that came out to compete!

Here are a few laps with Rbank before the spindle failure. 

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YzB-Uh2Nag&feature=youtu.be

Well we busted our Chump cherry at Lime Rock. My Alfa did pretty well in its first chump race. The car was way better than we were. First time the car was ever muzzled with a real muffler. It took me  while to find out the thing I thought was a high RPM miss was the rev limiter at 7200.

Brilliant event, fantastic track, lots of really close good racing. We will definitely be back. Plus, not having to feed the 200 plus people that show up at Pasta fest is a plus..

Greg

• Like 1

Great racing with you all out there. Great competition, and courtesy all day from most. I was lucky enough to run the last hour and a half with some good space to put down some fast laps. Unfortunately a couple of mechanical issues put us to many laps down to finish strong. Congrats to Eugene and Team Paisley racing for winning the EC battle. Hope to see you all at WGI in November if not sooner.

• Like 2

Great racing with you all out there. Great competition, and courtesy all day from most. I was lucky enough to run the last hour and a half with some good space to put down some fast laps. Unfortunately a couple of mechanical issues put us to many laps down to finish strong. Congrats to Eugene and Team Paisley racing for winning the EC battle. Hope to see you all at WGI in November if not sooner.

I had a fun time on sunday doing the course walk with you guys...   what was up with your brake failures or whatever.  I saw you guy way off track a couple times while I was driving.

Drunking squirrels video was awesome. It really shows the level of patients and skill needed to maintain fast laps threw traffic while battling fast cars. Getting the timing off when closing in on the puegot before the front straight gave the cougar a run on my inside in turn one that probably would have been a pass if not for the red e36. Then then black mustang got very loose balking me before hill just before the cougar broke. I remember looking at the wheel thinking " thats an odd amount of camber and smoke" Now I know what happened. You guy can drive your asses off in such a professional manner. Its always a pleasure to be able to race with you. The yellow blue crx's supprised the hell out of me with their speed and driving too. Congrats to the winners. I had an extended run in you proximity shortly after the cougar battle and your driving was exellant as well.

• Like 3

My teammate has already summed up our weekend very nicely.  However,  I have a few things to add.  A huge congrats to the podium finishers, especially Rob with Ghetto for their win!  We felt bad about not sticking around for the awards, but we decided to take advantage of the early start home and save on a hotel room on the return trip.  Secondly, while eating at some random diner in Fishkill NY I ran into a race official from LRP.  He stopped me to say what a great show we put on.  They expected a demo derby and said that the lack of work for the tow crews actually resulted in and unexpected issue for them; They typically rotate crews from the front and rear sections of the course so their crews can take breaks.  At one point they had nothing to do for nearly 3 hours and therefore couldn't rotate personnel.  He also asked if we were the team that drove a golf cart to the track from our B&B, which we were.  Damn, we are rednecks.....   

Another great Chump race.  The Schumacher Taxi Miata started the race so quiet we weren't certain it was running but after 2 hours the we got black flagged at 92dB.  It took a 20 minute stop to fabricate a noise fix using an infant formula "coffee" can stolen from the parts bin that I've used to store screws and hose clamps for 28 years.