The Vegas 13: A Lucky Roll-of-the-Dice

Aleru

I can see a 2.3 getting close, but the cars running 2hrs were not 4 cyls they were 8.

We can run 2 hrs with the turbo-2.3 and the stock tank. The V8 is more power and more fuel consumption, but for this hypothetical, we're also giving them two additional gallons.

No one protested from what I heard.  Looking at timing, its pretty clear almost every car in p1-p4 was cheating as far as fuel cells go.  A Mustang or RX7 should not be able to go 2 hours on a fuel stint yet they did.

Our second place Neon has an 80 gallon cell, we didn't use all of it.

We took 9 to 11 gallons per stint depending on driver.

Any car could have made the full two hours, cell or not.

I'll take your apology for calling me a cheat right here on this thread.

No one protested from what I heard.  Looking at timing, its pretty clear almost every car in p1-p4 was cheating as far as fuel cells go.  A Mustang or RX7 should not be able to go 2 hours on a fuel stint yet they did.  

Our second place Neon has an 80 gallon cell, we didn't use all of it.

We took 9 to 11 gallons per stint depending on driver.

Any car could have made the full two hours, cell or not.

I'll take your apology for calling me a cheat right here on this thread.

^ bolded a key word for you.  

From what I've seen Mustangs tend to be spent a little after a hour depending on how fast/prepped the car is.  I can see cars going the distance if their lap times are considerable slower than the competition.  I know the Miata team I've run with in the past lost 20 minutes per stint when we switched from all-seasons to falkens at BW, although they could still go the distance at Fontana so it was track dependant as well.  Most of the RX7 i've seen seem to fill up around an 1:30, but I'm sure which engine they're running.  The only cars I've seen capable of hitting 2 hour stints while also running competitive times are the BMWs. 

Most of the RX7 i've seen seem to fill up around an 1:30, but I'm sure which engine they're running.  The only cars I've seen capable of hitting 2 hour stints while also running competitive times are the BMWs.

I guess our car must have been cheating on us with its stock tank then.

• Like 1

Let's see it was a Miata, a Dodge Neon, a BMW, and a Mazda RX-7 in p1, p2, p3, and p4. So I guess you think you are talking about us? Well we weren't doing 2 hour stints and we have a stock tank, no fuel cell.  

Oh and wait until the diesels start showing up. Shhhhhhhhhh…….

Speaking of impound - how did the team do that had the run in w the po-po???

Sadly they broke down early in the race….. but went home and came back with another car in the early morning. I don't have the exact facts but that's the basic gist. 

AMAZING weekend in Las Vegas! Congrats to the Top 10 at the "Lucky 13," including winners #195 Door Slammers. Great article coverage in the Las Vegas Review-Journal, see http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/ron-kantowski/how-cool-500-car-ask-one-these-chumps.  Can't wait for the November Chumpionship back in Sin City!

1535473_10152604576107346_77714299975108

Podium includes:

1st Place #195 Door Slammers 

2nd Place #136 Pomona Speed Shop 

3rd Place # 3 Marvin the Martian Racing 

4th Place #37 Roto-Plooker Racing 

5th Place #19 Team 5150 

6th Place #501 Team 5.Slow 

7th Place #106 Das Idiots 

8th Place #114 Zoom-Zoom...BOOM 

9th Place #21 FunHurtz

10th Place #702 UPS

So we are working on that tomorrow when John returns from VIR.  As you know, it will not be on the speedway roval, but the outside Club Course track. We're thinking a Double 7 or 8, parc ferme (like we did this last Chumpionship at Laguna Seca).  It would be a cumulative race (and parc ferme, means you park your car overnight and don't touch it...don't even look at it...unless you are willing to take a penalty). More details to follow shortly. Did post the Auto Club October Supp Rules & Event Schedule today.

And as a reminder...you don't have to have qualified for the Chumpionship to run in this event. Only the folks that qualified are running for the Chumpionship (purse & trophies); the rest of us chumps are running for bragging rights.  In past Chumpionship events, usually only 40% of the field is qualified. Maybe we can do something special for non-qualifiers...like the poker run-type award we did this last weekend. Because everyone driver can use a pair of leopard print handcuffs (and a few chump bucks).

Got back from Vegas and had a blast.  Another great race from the awesome Chump staff.  It was a very clean race except for one over aggressive team that tore up the left side of our car, but hey that’s racing.
Our goal on this high speed roval, in our little 4 cylinder 1.8 Miata, was to finish and try to make top 10 knowing we did not have the horsepower to compete with the faster cars.  (Wait, didn’t a Miata win?)  We were running a freshly rebuilt motor after breaking a rod at Button Willow.  The car ran perfect, not one mechanical issue.  All our pit stops were fuel and driver change only all in the 5min window.  We did have to stop every 1 ½ hours as that’s all we can get out of a stock tank.  I guess we need to invest in a large fuel cell to go the extra ½ hour.  Even after having no issues we still finished 35 laps back, to another 1.8 Miata.  (Interesting).  We did manage to meet our goals, finished the race and came in 9th.   Now I know driver skill has a lot to do with any race and we definitely have work to do, but when you’re up on the roval in a little 4 cylinder full throttle in 5th gear you expect the BMW and RX7 and Mustangs and just about every other car to fly by you, what you don’t expect is another Miata to go by you like your standing still.  (We must be doing something wrong).  We are out there to race and have fun.  We are not complainers or protesters we congratulate the top 3 on a great race but especially to the 195 door slammers in their 1.8 Miata. They have found a way to be extremely fast and according to Chump be legal. WELL DONE.  We will keep on racing, Keep improving and most important keep having fun.  See Yall in Fontana!

• Like 1