VIR Videos & Photos

Jason B

Alright guys and gals, I know everyone is still recovering from this weekends madness, but lets see some pics/vids!  Given the epicness of this years race, let alone the conditions, there must be hours and hours of highlight reel material!!

Ok, yeah, I know, when starting a thread like this, I should of course post my own pics/videos.... BUT, still waiting for files to transfer, but rest assured, if we have it, you'll see it.

Wesleyw-

Great video- We were having issues with our camera the whole race and missed most sessions.  This video answered one of my questions of passing under yellow- I saw some during my stints, but not as many as in previous races.  But from this video it looked like there were plenty.  I do know that some of the flag stations were difficult to see during the rain and even when not raining, but the ones that you caught on video seemed like people were not fully aware of everything around them.  The one in Roller Coaster my have seemed unfair- I will say that the other passes that you pointed out seemed a little further down track than yours- maybe that's why you got flagged?

Chip - Thanks for your comments... Lots of the drivers out there are not "pros"... we participate in 4 events per year and love it but certainly not expert race drivers.  This was by far the heaviest / longest duration rain event I've been in and it was very difficult just to concentrate on what was happening with my car and the cars around me - definitely driving 7/10th or less a lot of times just to avoid hurting our car or others around us .  The viability to the flag stations was in some conditions very very hard so it was easy to miss a flag.

FYI.. Some people have commented to me about the visibility out of our car.. we did have two good coats of Rain-X on the outside and anti-fog on the inside.. worked well above 30 mph and i did not want to turn on the wipers to risk wiping off the Rain-X... It was actually much easier to see than the video portrays... the camera always puts 10 lbs of rain on ;)

• Like 1

Our visibility was horrible at times, and some flag stations were much harder to see than others.  The one at the end of the back straight was impossible until you were right on top of it- even when it wasn't raining.  Other stations T-1 thru T-6 were much easier, it just seemed that people were concentrating on driving and not being fully engaged with being on track.  This is very understandable given the conditions we had for the race.

This was my first time at VIR and what a great track! I had the pleasure to drive No Mo Money's flyin Miata :) We really had good pace but unfortunately one of drivers got unlucky and hydroplaned into the tires, loosing us 90 minutes in the pits... non the less we came back up and finished in top 25! :)

Paul is a great guy and has a solid team and his miatas are setup perfectly... a big thanks for the seat and opportunity, looking forward to more races with the team in the future! :)

Here are 2 laps from night and 2 laps pushing it during the day, fast lap 3:16.8...  driving at night in the wet was a great learning experience and one to remember! :)

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_W0TCAyiOc

Here are 2 laps from night and 2 laps pushing it during the day, fast lap 3:16.8...  driving at night in the wet was a great learning experience and one to remember! :)

Nice driving- looked like a blast!

I wont ask were the camera was mounted, but you may want to review the rules some (ahem 9.18)

Then we started having issues at about 6 that night. Car started missing. Then, it would barely run at all. We started changing everything. Fuel pump, injectors, plugs, making sure wires weren't grounding on anything, finally replaced the Opti. . .

opti1.jpg

Still didn't fix it. . . If you let the car cool down for about 10 minutes, it would run like a banshee for a half lap (grand course ~4.1miles) then it would just go to crap. No power, limping along. I think it was the ICM or coil; going to replace both to see what sort of effect that has. By the time we had replaced everything else, it was after 9pm and no auto stores were open :/

After we kept trying stuff, one of our drivers took it out. This was a novice driver. He said he got a 'little' squirrely going into the esses after someone brake checked him. Talking to BMW driver who ate our back end, a 'little' squirrely is apparentley completly losing it and ending in the middle of the track with no where to go to avoid contact. . . BMW was totaled; ended up ripping their cross member off the frame rail and even bending their firewall.
Damage to the vette:
crash1.jpg

All fixed.
crash2.jpg

Next morning we had one of our drivers take it out.  One of our brake caliper bolts backed out, causing the caliper to fall off. . . woops. Everything got entangled up, ultimately locking the front right tire. Driver drove it Nascar style back to the pits, plowing the front right completely locked halfway across the track, completely destroying the tire. I'll have to get a pic of that.

Because of all this, we got the "Timex: Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin' " award. We'll be back to VIR at the Dec race. Hope to see you guys back there!

three fast laps from simon says, all low 3:14s.  first is me sat afternoon, second is rob the following stint.  third is me, just a few laps from the end of the race.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCooVInMVh4

Thanks for posting this.. amazing driving and a great way to learn the fast way around the track.

three fast laps from simon says, all low 3:14s.  first is me sat afternoon, second is rob the following stint.  third is me, just a few laps from the end of the race.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCooVInMVh4

Excellent driving in those conditions. I don't think I ever went through Oak Tree that well even in the dry in my 911.

What kind of tires were you using?