Our Wknd of Racing (Kaboom), wrenching, Racing (Kaboom), wrenching, Racing...

Guest Spank

Guest Spank

Our weekend of racing:

Motor #1-- the one that had already done 4 events:

DSC03738_detail.JPG

DSC03732_detail.JPG

DSC03731_detail.JPG

DSC03730_detail.JPG

Then we got the backup motor (motor #2) in and 2.9 laps later:

DSCF0816_detail.JPG

DSCF0820_detail.JPG

DSCF0822_detail.JPG

DSC03735_detail.JPG

DSC03734_detail.JPG

So what do you do when you have blown up 2 motors, have another 7 hours of racing to go the next day, and live 100 miles from the track? Why of course you drive home, get another shortblock (block, crank, rods and pistons), a used unknown head from the shelf, bring it back to the track, stay up all night building a 3rd motor at the track from the remaining good parts of the other two and install it so everyone can drive on Sunday!

DSC03721_detail.JPG

And I'm proud to say motor 3 survived 5.5 more hours of racing. Didn't get done in time for Sunday's start, but once it got on track, it never left the track except for driver changes, refueling and those few initial pits to read plugs and check the temp with a temp gun to make sure the fueling was close enough.

Now I'm wrecked. Carpal tunnel in both wrists flaring up bad. But it was worth it.

Thanks for the great time, organizers, and especially for the garages. They came in real handy! I think I can speak for the others when I say we also really appreciate the recognition for the efforts of ALL of us Chumps, even those who aren't in contention for the overall top 3. Just hearing the words of encouragement, getting a friendly "It's great to see you out there" and even the "simultaneous smile and head shake" gesture makes us want to try that much harder to contribute to the event and come out next time.

Looking forward to seeing you all again real soon. And for the record, I'm now all out of mini engines. So when this current one goes, I'm going to maybe need to try something slightly less agrarian. Or maybe MORE agrarian-- like a John Deere engine.

Looking forward to seeing you all again real soon. And for the record, I'm now all out of mini engines. So when this current one goes, I'm going to maybe need to try something slightly less agrarian. Or maybe MORE agrarian-- like a John Deere engine.

I want to know how in hell you managed to get a $500 original Mini in the first place. :)

I want to know how in hell you managed to get a $500 original Mini in the first place. :)

It was not pretty....kudos to these guys for pulling it together!

We love seeing you out on the track man, good to know you pulled it together!

Guest JKcougarbait

Coming from a team typically plagued with bad luck (crash within an hour of starting our first Lemons race, blown motor within an hour of starting our second Lemons race, and another blown motor within an hour of starting our 1st Chump Car race) I can say I really like these stories! Big props for making those two piles of metal into a race car too!

Here's basically what we started with:

Amazing what can be found once you're in the loop:

more bodies currently for sale on craigslist

more body parts currently for sale

pair of engines and some suspension also currently for sale

Now go build your own.

OK so minimum $250 just for the body, $300 for an engine. Then there's tramsmission, steering, suspension, etc, etc, etc. Yeh, I can see how those original Minis are only $500 cars. :huh:

Guest Methius

OK so minimum $250 just for the body, $300 for an engine. Then there's tramsmission, steering, suspension, etc, etc, etc. Yeh, I can see how those original Minis are only $500 cars. :huh:

You SO don't get it...

Guest Spank

No, that's what the current pricing is. And you didn't read closely-- thats $300 for TWO engines and transmissions and some other parts to boot. However, that's not what we paid (but wish the powerunits were closer so I can have them in my garage already!)

For us, the entire front clip was $250 which included all front suspension and brakes, master cylinders, steering rack, etc. The shell that I'm holding up in the pic came with 1 new rear subframe, 1 old rear subframe with all suspension bits, a fiberglass flip front, a locked up engine and tranny, a new front subframe, 3 doors, and a host of other parts and all for $500. We were able to sell the fiberglass flip front for $250 which allowed us to buy the front clip. Selling the new rear subframe allowed us to get some other needed parts (used heim joints, some new piston rings, oil, a filter, etc). We sold 1 door and traded another door for some other stuff (shocks taken off of a later sportspack mini) We also bought a whole Austin America for $250 and used the head, camshaft and oil pump. Then traded some parts from the 1275 of the AA to get another transmission (we downgraded to an early 3-syncro tranny from the modern 4 syncro tranny), some used 998 flat top pistons, and then I cut up the America and sold off the floorpans, the doors, hood, front clip, dash, etc. We reclaimed some of the wiring from the AA to make a harness for the mini, and I think we ended up using the starter, alternator, water pump and 1 axle from the AA.

It's pretty convoluted, but at the end of the day, we technically have just over $350 in the car minus the rollcage, seat, harness, cutoff switch, wheels tires, brake calipers/pads/shoes/rear wheel cylinders and now a window net.

You are welcome to peruse the build diary at www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/spank and let me know what you think isn't kosher. Oh, and it's dynoed at 58 hp at the wheels. Or rather it WAS. That motor is toast, now. The one that's in there at the end was turning laps about 4-5 seconds slower than the other motor.