Portland October 2014

Chump240

Race started dry, track drying. It has been raining since around 2.

We had a motor failure within 30 min or so so the start. The race was red flagged as cars were passing under yellow when I was being towed back to the pits. The red flag gave us enough time to unhook the trailer and leave the track to get our backup motor. Funny how things work.

We will see everyone on the track tomorrow.

Guest posnova

Schwarzchild Radials had a good weekend.  The car arrived, as is typical for my awesome, yet perpetually late teammates, last in the tech line.  The car breezed through tech, competing at $411 TCV.  We’ve got room, but we can never agree what to do, so we just leave it alone (the cheapest option of course).

Friday our renters got a chance to get familiar with the car, and identified that the car needed better tires for the current conditions.  We brought plenty of them (Z1 Star Specs), but none had enough tread depth to deal with the quantity of standing water on the track.  I sourced a set of wheels and tires that would work (fresh Rivals), and for Saturday morning, they arrived and we slapped them on the car.  The conditions of the track were constantly changing.  Super wet, sorta-wet, dry line, back to sorta-wet, back to dry-line, total dry, to super-wet, etc. etc.

Saturday started off great.  The first driver quickly solidified our position in 2nd place.  The 2nd driver went out and maintained position.  Our 3rd driver left in 5th position from the pits and improved to 4th place.  Then, after about an hour and 30 minutes into the 3rd driver’s stint, a vehicle spun directly in front of us, and when it came around, went nose into the passenger front wheel on our car.  We lost a tie rod, shock, wheel, tire, and lower control arm in the impact.  We had to go off-site for a LCA.  Unfortunately, the most direct route to the yard where the LCA was at, was blocked by downed trees from all the wind the area was having.  As was the second route.  As was the third route.  We had to turn around completely, and drive way out of the way to reach the yard.  As time would have it, on the way back we hit end-of-shift traffic right at 5PM.  It is a Saturday, but there’s still enough traffic clogging the freeways to make the journey annoying, and slower.  When the part showed up, the car was assembled in short-order, and was aligned quickly.  Thanks to the team that allowed us to borrow a string alignment kit.

The car was off-track for 4 hours, and 11 minutes.  Drivers 1 and 2 finished out the night with an additional hour 45-ish each and put the car to rest.

In the morning, Sunday, we decided that there might not be 6 hours more pad left on the brakes, so we slapped some fresh front pads on.  Instead of making a run at it, it was decided that the two people we had on crew, would upgrade to drivers for the day.  We cycled 5 drivers in 6 hours, and had a great time.

14th, 32nd, and 12th.  I’ll take it :).  17th best on Friday, 24th best Saturday, 7th best lap time Sunday.

• Like 5

Finally Racing had a great Friday until about 4:59pm. Here's a video of our last two laps.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7j0my7vEMxs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Over the last 20 minutes of the race, we make up over a minute of track time on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place cars. After a phenomenal drive, on the final lap of the race, we pull out to make the pass for 3rd, only to be severely thwarted by standing water

Finally Racing had a great Friday until about 4:59pm.

Over the last 20 minutes of the race, we make up over a minute of track time on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place cars. After a phenomenal drive, on the final lap of the race, we pull out to make the pass for 3rd, only to be severely thwarted by standing water

It's also off camber right there. There's vids of people wrecking there in the dry.

Since this seems to be the post race thread, I've got to send my apologies to the Yellow Jackets. Spoke to some of the team when I got to the pits near the end of the Sunday 6 hour but didn't catch up with the driver on the last stint. I lost the rear of our CRX as it was just starting to rain again with a little over an hour to go in turn 6 and my correction shot me straight into your left rear and spun you around. Not intentional and not the way we drive typically. It broke our car for good and I got a deserved black flag. Just wanted to apologize again.

Thanks John, no worries, our car is no uglier than before :)  We started Sunday really well but the rain stopped and we had some pit stop strategy & execution snafus and a black flag, so we were pretty far back by the time that happened, and continued racing without delay.  

Fun racing with all of you!