2014 Eastern Region Chumpionship - VIR

Guest ChumpCar

Guest ChumpCar

Greetings Race Fans!

Sorry for the delay but we've been a little busy keeping track of the 52 cars competing for the coveted Eastern Region Chumpionship title.  We're 3 hours into today's 8-hour race.  The event started with a drivers meeting at 7:00am -- in the dark and slightly misting morning.  By the Green Flag at 8:00am, we had a bona fide light rainfall.  By 10:00am, the rain has gone, the driving line has dried out and cars are turning some wickedly fast lap times.

More to come...

BTW - did I mention that we have a late-80's Chevrolet full-size truck running this weekend?  Cool!  We used to have a C10 running out of Denver in the Central Region (2010-2012) until it got stuffed.

Edit:  Sellers Racing #246, currently in 43rd place, with 122 Laps complete

We need a picture of that truck

Interesting side note... based on a questionable timing issue... that turned out alright.

It turns out that the #190 Saab (Will Race For Beer) is running on some kind of "LIMP" mode with the wet conditions. The turbocharged car can't get the power to the ground in the wet. This condition has allowed the team to run 2 stints on one fuel cell fill -- basically, they can do just under 4 hours. So, they're running a strategy of 2 driver changes per fuel stop, and they're short-stopping their run to approx. 3 hours and 55 minutes. Their first driver runs the full 2 hours and the second driver goes 1:50-1:55.

This mirrors the same strategy that the team utilized in the frozen rain and uber-wet conditions 3 weeks ago at "The 37."

However, tomorrow, the forecast is sunny and dry. Cool, yes, but sunny and dry. We'll see what tomorrow shall bring. We have 45 minutes left in today's 8-hour event.

Sounds protest worthy..... ECU manipulation? Maybe it was a stock part / option for Scandinavian delivery models....

• Technical Advisory Committee

Maybe Robin can share with us his secret.   All I know is that my car gets spectacular fuel economy when only using 1/2 throttle and driving up a gear.    Just saying.

Good job everyone on the great racing so far!    Tight one to the finish!  Wish we could be there in the mix.

Interesting side note... based on a questionable timing issue... that turned out alright.

It turns out that the #190 Saab (Will Race For Beer) is running on some kind of "LIMP" mode with the wet conditions.  The turbocharged car can't get the power to the ground in the wet. This condition has allowed the team to run 2 stints on one fuel cell fill -- basically, they can do just under 4 hours.  So, they're running a strategy of 2 driver changes per fuel stop, and they're short-stopping their run to approx. 3 hours and 55 minutes.  Their first driver runs the full 2 hours and the second driver goes 1:50-1:55.  

This mirrors the same strategy that the team utilized in the frozen rain and uber-wet conditions 3 weeks ago at "The 37." 

However, tomorrow, the forecast is sunny and dry.  Cool, yes, but sunny and dry.  We'll see what tomorrow shall bring.  We have 45 minutes left in today's 8-hour event.

In Piggy we could do a similar run length in case where short straights and relatively short WOT time worked to the cars favor.  Nice and wet with short shifts or gear up strategy makes a big difference.  Sounds like another epic Chumper event.  Wish I hadn't had to work some of this weekend...

Lap times just keep falling.

I just finished my stint with a 1'45.6 which my team tells me was the purple lap briefly, but now BimmerLine #336 has taken back over with a high 1'44.

Our fastest driver is in now though so we'll see what he can do... if it weren't for our four extra pit stops we might be in the top 10. Had an early stop for tire pressure yesterday, two stops for a failed brake light (wire behind the brake pedal came off twice), and one extra driver swap because I only ran 1 hour 15 minutes in the rain yesterday. Blegh.