VIR something come ON

Ray Franck

Simon Says is kicking butt.

We're running in the top half of the field in our first Chump race. Car is slow in a straight line but good everywhere else.

We sacrificed fuel/pit strategy to get everyone in the car once doing just one hour stints. That cost is quite a few laps.

So far so good.

- 3Brothers Racing

oh oh.

I see a hood up.

I just got home.

TCR-2 had all kinds of fueling issues (we replaced 3 fuel pumps).  It really sucks because, early in the day ( I ran second), it was running *really* good.  At the 40 minute point I think we had the 3rd fastest lap.  Oh well, you know the racing gods...

Feel *really* bad for the 42 and 703 cars on the FCY restart around noon (ish).  The 42 was just freshly built, and the 703 was just absolutely obliterated (it had no trunk afterwards.)  It's a real shame to see two good teams go out like that.  No Panic was in first when this happened as well.  Going full green into a 10 mph conga line is not fun.  I'm so thankful that I caught that green most of the way through Oak tree, rather than near turn 10, where they were just crawling speedwise.  To my understanding no one was hurt either, which is most important.

I'll try and write up a bit more later, and post some video.

-Chris

Edited by Trukk

• Members

People have to remember that the course doesn't all go green when the pace car dives down pit road.  I could see from track side that cars took off and the green was never dropped in most corners.  I couldn't see the accident site so I don't know the status of the flags there, but turns 3-6 never went green then.

• Technical Advisory Committee

VIR doesn't do green at all corners - Lack of flags means go racing.

I was listening to the F&C and had eyes on the situation the whole time.  

I think problem 1 was the pace car was driving too slow and caused a stoppage.  When that happened, some cars overshot the car in front and stopped to let them back by, which resulted in 2 or 3 wide stoppages.  

Station 7 was asleep at the switch and did not notice (or did not say anything) about the stoppages over the hill.  He was standing there with the double yellows out the whole time.  Even before the green fell, the double yellows should have been waving yellow to alert the cars under pace who were catching up to the pack that there was stoppage ahead.

When Control called for FC Green after Start threw the flag, station 7 just pulled in his flags...  He still did not see the impending situation.  

Some cars did a good job avoiding. I would love to see the footage from Ronalds as they went through the grass sideways avoiding that.  Some cars were able to stop, some weren't.  I don't know what the sight line looked like coming over the hill, but I saw the skidmarks from the 42 no panic car and he locked them up for a long way.  I am not sure if he got target fixation and didn't swerve or if there were other cars and he couldn't swerve.  Either way, its a damn shame.

At this point, control called for yellow again.  Station 7 did not call the incident in. 

Control did give station 7 a ear full about STILL not waving the yellow after this...  He did eventually throw the waving yellow and the debris flag...  

Overall, a shitty situation.  I feel terrible about both teams who were taken out, and for the other teams who sustained damage.

Windows%20Media%20Player_2015-03-29_17-0

Windows%20Media%20Player_2015-03-29_17-0

We had a great time in the neon. Car ran really fast with new package, now we need to work on brakes. This happened at the 8th hr. Brake pad backing plate melted around piston...

South course is really tough on brakes.  We had the same thing happen to us 2 years ago here (made it 9 hrs 45 mins, before melt down).  Changed to PFC08's, and no more problems.  

Ducts are now free as well, so do that if you can.

BTW, you guys were rolling out there!

-Chris

Edited by Trukk

VIR doesn't do green at all corners - Lack of flags means go racing.

I haven't been to a ChumpCar race yet where corner stations throw green flags, the only place I have ever seen a green is at the start/finish line.  No yellow means the race is on.