VIR 12 Hour 2015: Pics and Videos

Trukk

Here is a clip from TCR-2 2nd stint, while I was driving.  There were two very long FCY's that I edited out.  Then at the end my fuel pump died, so my stint ended way early :(

Here are a few notes:

- 1:50 (and many others): LSD slipping *really* bad.  We just couldn't get the power down out of the corners.  Add another item to the 'todo' list.

- 5:10 pass the #7 Brickhouse car.  :5:20 passed under yellow by #7.  Tisk, Tisk Warren :D.  6:30 passed him back (thanks for the point!)

- 10:50 first time our car was ever able to out drag the Enterprise on the front straight

- 14:29 The Yellow Mustang (Atomic or cunclear or something) pointing the wrong way

- 14:50 yup that was a Dodge Stratus on the track (that's a first for me)

- 15:20 Started a really long ballte with the maroon Jetta (#87?).  He was able to make his car nice and wide at the right times (good racecraft), and held me off for a long while.

- 17:30 over drove the chute trying to catch that Jetta

- 22:15 Jetta gets BF'd

- 22:25 Jetta finally makes a mistake and gets held up by the white legend and I finally get by him.  He didn;t pit, and was definately still battling.  Not sure what caused his BF.

- 27:40 Had a carzy long battle with the dark blue E36 for many many laps (was able to stay ahead of him), for about 15 minutes.)  He finally treis to make a pass stick at the top of the chute, but ends up bumping my side, and then backs off.  e barely touched me, it was a lot of fun from my seat.

- 34:50 Jordans sweet 730 Datsun, before it's new aero treatment

- 40:20 got smoked by 'Dinoco' (Team McQueen #295) on the front straight.  Tried everything I had to stick with him. and was able to for 2 laps (thanks to a few yellows and a a white)

- 43:20 Dinoco says "LS powers activate", and is gone.

- 45:10 Holy oil slick batman!  The Silver MR2 puked somehting (oil or tranny fluid for a LONG way).

- 45:30 clipped out the long FCY, and pick up back when the green flag drops right before the 42/703 smashup.

- 50:15 42 & 703 cars all smashed up after the restart

- 52:00 My fuel pump dies :(  Ronalds *barely* misses me, he must have been wondering what they hell I was doing.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTC0YoSHNHk

Yeah, sorry about that. That instance was engine oil (the silver mr2). Had some issues with the lines not staying in place. Nice job saving it into the esses though! Our driver tried to shut it off and pull over as quick as he could.

Stuff happens on the track....all part of racing!

Could have been much worse for you guys.  When that RX8 blew up....holy crap...I've never heard a noise like that.  Sounded like someone threw a basket of ball bearings onto a tin cooking sheet....KLINK KLINK KLINK.

-Chris

Stuff happens on the track....all part of racing!

Could have been much worse for you guys.  When that RX8 blew up....holy crap...I've never heard a noise like that.  Sounded like someone threw a basket of ball bearings onto a tin cooking sheet....KLINK KLINK KLINK.

-Chris

That was my heart breaking that you heard...............  4th VIR race where I saw zero seat time...............  :(

That was my heart breaking that you heard...............  4th VIR race where I saw zero seat time...............  :(

Ouch!

Our cars are pretty damned reliable, but I've had 2 VIR events with no time as well:

- The ice-bowl championship in 2013.  I was scheduled last stint.  They canceled with 2 hours to go :(

- Last years 24, when Ron stuffed our car into the Armco 45 minutes into the race

Drop me a line if you are interested in a seat in TCR-1, we might be able to work something out.  We have a pretty stable lineup of renters, but you never know what the future holds.  Up time on TCR-1 is very close to 98% now, and close to 200 total race hours.  It currently takes 9 laps (H&R springs), but handles like a go cart, and is defiantly in the top 30% speed wise.

-Chris

Drop me a line if you are interested in a seat in TCR-1, we might be able to work something out.  We have a pretty stable lineup of renters, but you never know what the future holds. 

Chris- Don't do it!!!  Dog is cursed and you don't want this on you... :o

Chris- Don't do it!!! Dog is cursed and you don't want this on you... :o

So it would seem Chip.... so it would seem. ;)

However, my prior two rentals went swimmingly. Both were E36s. ....

Thanks for the offer Chris. I hope to have our car right in time for the VIR 24.

Here is a clip from TCR-2 2nd stint, while I was driving.  There were two very long FCY's that I edited out.  Then at the end my fuel pump died, so my stint ended way early :(

Here are a few notes:

- 1:50 (and many others): LSD slipping *really* bad.  We just couldn't get the power down out of the corners.  Add another item to the 'todo' list.

- 5:10 pass the #7 Brickhouse car.  :5:20 passed under yellow by #7.  Tisk, Tisk Warren :D.  6:30 passed him back (thanks for the point!)

- 10:50 first time our car was ever able to out drag the Enterprise on the front straight

- 14:29 The Yellow Mustang (Atomic or cunclear or something) pointing the wrong way

- 14:50 yup that was a Dodge Stratus on the track (that's a first for me)

- 15:20 Started a really long ballte with the maroon Jetta (#87?).  He was able to make his car nice and wide at the right times (good racecraft), and held me off for a long while.

- 17:30 over drove the chute trying to catch that Jetta

- 22:15 Jetta gets BF'd

- 22:25 Jetta finally makes a mistake and gets held up by the white legend and I finally get by him.  He didn;t pit, and was definately still battling.  Not sure what caused his BF.

- 27:40 Had a carzy long battle with the dark blue E36 for many many laps (was able to stay ahead of him), for about 15 minutes.)  He finally treis to make a pass stick at the top of the chute, but ends up bumping my side, and then backs off.  e barely touched me, it was a lot of fun from my seat.

- 34:50 Jordans sweet 730 Datsun, before it's new aero treatment

- 40:20 got smoked by 'Dinoco' (Team McQueen #295) on the front straight.  Tried everything I had to stick with him. and was able to for 2 laps (thanks to a few yellows and a a white)

- 43:20 Dinoco says "LS powers activate", and is gone.

- 45:10 Holy oil slick batman!  The Silver MR2 puked somehting (oil or tranny fluid for a LONG way).

- 45:30 clipped out the long FCY, and pick up back when the green flag drops right before the 42/703 smashup.

- 50:15 42 & 703 cars all smashed up after the restart

- 52:00 My fuel pump dies :(  Ronalds *barely* misses me, he must have been wondering what they hell I was doing.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTC0YoSHNHk

That was me in the Jetta. It was a blast battling with you!  It's always a trick to try to "wipe" someone off on lap traffic but in my case I wiped myself off on the integra.  Not sure who the black flag was for but it wasn't for me. Thanks for posting the video!

The number 42 and 703 car accident was exciting. The corner worker had just put the yellow flag away and we all started accelerating over the hill only to see several cars stopped.  I went to the right just as the 42 car slid by me and into the back of 703.  Sounded like a shotgun in my ear.  Glad everyone was okay. 

That was me in the Jetta. It was a blast battling with you!  It's always a trick to try to "wipe" someone off on lap traffic but in my case I wiped myself off on the integra.  Not sure who the black flag was for but it wasn't for me. Thanks for posting the video!

The number 42 and 703 car accident was exciting. The corner worker had just put the yellow flag away and we all started accelerating over the hill only to see several cars stopped.  I went to the right just as the 42 car slid by me and into the back of 703.  Sounded like a shotgun in my ear.  Glad everyone was okay. 

It was very fun for me as well.  Our car is finally fast enough that I really need to learn the race-craft of dealing with traffic.  You did an awesome job without stepping over the line.  I had a smile on my face for sure!  I was certainly happy that white car was there (I think it was the white legend).  You car is very fast, what engine is in that thing?

If you have any video, I'd love to see it!

-Chris

Edited by Trukk

First thanks for the video. Second I was driving the Brick House BMW that you mention passing you under a yellow flag. I thought I remembered the pass so I just looked at my video and the yellow was waving long before you completed the pass and I thought you early braked into one to get back behind me so you wouldn't get a black flag. At the drivers meeting they mentioned (as they always do) that if you can see the yellow flag even if you are not at or past it, you cannot pass.

First thanks for the video. Second I was driving the Brick House BMW that you mention passing you under a yellow flag. I thought I remembered the pass so I just looked at my video and the yellow was waving long before you completed the pass and I thought you early braked into one to get back behind me so you wouldn't get a black flag. At the drivers meeting they mentioned (as they always do) that if you can see the yellow flag even if you are not at or past it, you cannot pass.

Can you post your video.  I'd love to see it.

In looking at mine, that yellow was a looong way off when I passed you..I know I did not see it.  Coming up the hill crest I saw the yellow, and went down to 70%.

In the grand scheme of things, not a big deal.  I was mostly just bustin Warren's chops.

-Chris

Edited by Trukk

It was very fun for me as well.  Our car is finally fast enough that I really need to learn the race-craft of dealing with traffic.  You did an awesome job without stepping over the line.  I had a smile on my face for sure!  I was certainly happy that white car was there (I think it was the white legend).  You car is very fast, what engine is in that thing?

If you have any video, I'd love to see it!

-Chris

We actually didn't have a camera for this race.  We only recently started running one after my brother bought one, so far we have only "filmed" a couple of races and even then it was only for a few hours until the battery or memory card died or filled up.   I appreciate the comments on the driving it is nice to have some footage to watch and review.  Most of the footage we ever get is of cars flying by us or us by them and only in frame for a few seconds.

As for the engine.... well, I could tell ya but then I'd have to.....   :P

P.s.  It's a VR6.     

• Members
Thank you to all racers who have currently ordered photo packages for VIR. We are in the process of uploading and delivering pre-orders and those that ordered same day or just post event. We wanted to let everyone still interested know that we have a few exciting updates!

-We are extending the free poster print to those ordering post event for the VIR weekend!

-We have a select sample gallery available to view online at the below link! This will give those new to MotorSportMedia an idea of what you can expect!

-We of course back our orders by our iron clad / "No Red Tape" satisfaction guarantee

Sample Gallery - http://www.msmtrackdays.com/highlight-galleries/

Ordering Info - http://www.msmtrackdays.com/new-products/photo-package-chumpcar-12hr-vir-march-28th

MotorSportMedia will be at the following, but not limited to, events: Road America April 2015, Daytona May 2015 and more! Stay tuned for some major updates including Watkins Glen and Sebring photography!

Thanks Again!

Rich

MotoSportMedia+Online+Gallery+VIR+12hr+M

This is probably the most unique photo location I've ever seen at VIR.  I'm still trying to figure out where you shot this from and what corner it is.  Great pic, well done.

Looks like coming out of b!tch.  Probably taken from on or near the control tower?  Just my guess.

-Chris

• Like 1

my guess is this is South Bend

I don't know, you can see the full course 'outside' track off in the distance.  You wouldn't;t see that at southbend.

Obviously it's a really cool shot.  If you have people that have put in a LOT of laps at VIR, and aren't really sure where it was taken from.  MSM does nice work.

-Chris

I don't know, you can see the full course 'outside' track off in the distance.  You wouldn't;t see that at southbend.

Obviously it's a really cool shot.  If you have people that have put in a LOT of laps at VIR, and aren't really sure where it was taken from.  MSM does nice work.

-Chris

but that's new pavement- the green fence line is on north course

They do get some awesome shots!

but that's new pavement- the green fence line is on north course

They do get some awesome shots!

Ahh, I didn't think about the cut through.  I'm changing my vote to the top of the esses then, just before south bend.

Interested to see where this was taken now.

-Chris