Hastings May 2015

Seem like without TBR on the forum, nothing happens. Did anyone go to Hastings ChumpCar race? 

Ok, I'll start.

Interesting weather, much better than predicted. Still fun. Without Tubby the beer selection was awful. 

Pretty clean event, no major incidents. 

SoDak petroheads are getting it. They have come a long way from last year when there only experience was watching TV and playing video games.

Rat Patrol had the most time being towed by George. Not sure but one of the towed laps may have been the best one. 

• Like 2

The Richard Nixon Opel Ascona was there. The car ran strong until about 15 minutes before the end on Sunday when the oil pressure started fluctuating and the car died and would not start. I am unsure if the two are related. There were 3 BMWs, a Porsche 944, and 7/8th's of a Crown Vic that were clearly faster than everyone else, but there were enough cars of similar performance to make for some great racing. We battled with 3 miatas, 3 RX7s, an Alfa, an Eclipse on Sunday. It really came down to the driver/car combination on which car was passing who. It was great to watch.

As usual, George was a great host and everybody had a great time. George built a track in the middle of nowhere and it is very successful. He should charge a consulting fee as to how it is done. We will be back next year.

• Like 5

It was a great weekend! MPH staff was great as always. George set a new track record - but on a new part of the track, the Flamingo Short Cut. Weather was better than expected, but not always dry. We placed in the top 10 both days, but need to knock off another 9 seconds a lap to play with Chump Faces.

We got hit by another team, but no corner worker noticed, which was probably good - we lost our class race by 1 lap. If we had gotten the black flag, it would have been more.

Sat. it seemed like a lot of the racers were extra aggressive - people were trying to pass me on the outside curbing / rumble strip, and that can't be right (?) can it?

Sunday seemed more like Sunday drivers, much cleaner lines and not running people off the track.

• Like 1

-trying to pass me on the outside curbing / rumble strip

I thought you saw me.  :rolleyes: kidding, I don't think that was me.

Love the Opel, three wheel wonder. If you can, you must look at the 3/4 or 7/8's or whatever Crown Vic coupe. Perhaps the biggest tires in all of ChumpCar.

Car 54 has is going on. Keep on eye on them.

Did get pushed off by a Mitsu after nicely moving over. Didn't get that but in general, clean driving all around. 

Pictures anyone?

We had a great time.

We lost a control arm Saturday that sent me grass tracking towards the wall. Luckily I never got there. On Sunday the steering became very vague, and it turns out the steering rack was toast. We also destroyed a rear trailing arm bracket as the bolts pulled out the body shell.

I gave the Hankooks another chance, but they don't work on my car. Drivers front tires could barely get 4hrs.

I was expecting wear issues after last years race, so was rotating every pit stop. Still burned through 15 tires. 8 brand new ones!

It was great watching the Opel lift its leg. I hope I have it on video.

The shortened Crown Vic is always great to see.

It's a great track, with a great host, and Chumps did another great job. For those that didn't come, you missed out on a great weekend.

• Like 2

We had a great time out there. We were running pretty well for most of Saturday. We ended up losing an oil line off the back of the motor and ultimately may have toasted the motor, or at least spun a rod bearing at minimum. Mistakes were made on our repair in the pits in our haste to get back on track.

I felt that everybody I saw on the track drove fairly in a race competitive manner. Aggressive at times, but never dangerous, as it should be in a race.

I have some race footage of me chasing the Lemonata team in the yellow Miata. There is a cameo of Car 54 and F1 1ab's, however, they were clearly racing at a different level.

We met some amazing people this weekend. Really, really appreciated pitting next to Team Nixon. Great, great people!

https://youtu.be/p6Op-ww_C6I

Edited by Milhaus
  • Like 1

Please PM me or let me know if there were any issues with the Lemonata drivers.

On Sunday afternoon, I had quite a battle with the white #20 RX7, and it ended up too deep in the corner and I completed the pass.  I didn't get a chance to talk with them after the race, but I thought it was OK.  If you think otherwise, please let me know.

I thought all the driving was good - didn't see any contact during my stints on Saturday late and Sunday late.

• Like 1

We tried BFG Rivals and corded one badly under lockup.

Ditto to the comments about how George and crew are great hosts.  Hastings is a fun track more people should try.

Overall, we had a really good weekend - 2nd in class A both days with an 7th on Saturday and 5th on Sunday.

Eman, I know at least one of those uncompleted passes was me - last stint on Sunday in the red RX7. Who did you end up having contact with?

And Keith, I didn't know you were following our races out this way! :P

I don't recall an incident with you guys, and none of my other drivers  mention you guys either. I know we were trying like hell to catch up with you!

I'm feeling pretty mellow so I'm not going to call anyone out. Wasn't a big deal.

Edited by Eman911

We had a great time.

We lost a control arm Saturday that sent me grass tracking towards the wall. Luckily I never got there. On Sunday the steering became very vague, and it turns out the steering rack was toast. We also destroyed a rear trailing arm bracket as the bolts pulled out the body shell.

I gave the Hankooks another chance, but they don't work on my car. Drivers front tires could barely get 4hrs.

I was expecting wear issues after last years race, so was rotating every pit stop. Still burned through 15 tires. 8 brand new ones!

It was great watching the Opel lift its leg. I hope I have it on video.

The shortened Crown Vic is always great to see.

It's a great track, with a great host, and Chumps did another great job. For those that didn't come, you missed out on a great weekend.

15 tires? No wonder you were trying to give away the carcasses! We used up 2 new Direzzas and 1 used one on Saturday. Our 3 Y/O 400 treadwear Kuhmos went the distance on Sunday. I think our laptimes illustrate how grippy they weren't.

Lemonata...as you can see in the video I rather liked the way your driver drove as I raced him. I hope I didn't piss anybody off.

One of my drivers got t-boned in the race but we were totally cool with it. Stuff happens and none of it was intentional. We screwed our air dam back on and moved on. The other driver felt horrible and came and apologized. I think everybody was in control and having a great time.

My only regret is that we couldn't run on Sunday. We were able to get pretty toasted on Saturday night in Hastings so it wasn't a total loss.

• Like 1

Tires, what to buy? I brought 6 new Hankooks to Hastings knowing that it was hard on tires. At the 8 hour mark I had to replace the left front as it was starting to cord at the very outer edge. I also run 4 degrees of negative camber so it beats me why I was getting so much outside wear. Hastings is just an abrasive track. I had one set of Hankooks last from MAM to Hallett and through Brainerd and still have a lot of life left. I was running Rivals and while they stick well, I found them to be very fragile. I don't think that they adhere the tread to the casing very well. I brought 3 half used Rivals to Hastings and sold them to Samluke. I am glad that he got some use from them.

• Like 1

We ran a set of Direzzas on saturday that had ~7hrs on them and they made the whole 12hr and probably have at least another 7hr race in them.  Switched to the Hankooks for Sunday and they looked great after the 6hr.  We are running a ~1900lb. car though which helps.

Overall the racing was very good, a lot of room given by a lot of cars.  I didn't see much outside of normal chumpcar racing from a contact standpoint.  Saturday as the day progressed and brakes/tires started to wear I saw a lot of drivers that were maybe pushing their cars past their limits, lots of lock ups and offs, especially in turns 4 and 9.

Great track, great staff.  As was said above, this is one race that is run really well and if you missed it, put it on the schedule for next year.

• Like 2

We had a load of fun!  The car ran great the whole weekend and we had our best weekend to date.  (Red Miata)  We got to know some great new people and enjoyed racing with everyone.  I am always impressed with Chumpfaces its fun to watch a car that performs so well, kudos to the drivers the machine is just nuts and bolts with out great drivers.

Thanks to the Chump staff, and George and his staff.  They do an awesome job of making you feel at home.

• Like 1

We had a blast (#56 RX-7, SoDak PetrolHeads). Our goal was just to finish the full 18 hours, but getting a class win on top of that was awesome. To come out and do as well as we did really makes all the hard work worth it. The racing was excellent, most everybody seemed to be aware of their surroundings. My drivers and I have very little experience (coming into this race we all had less than 10 hours track time each), so if we made a mistake or did something you didn't like I assure you it was solely due to inexperience and not malice. We're learning as fast as we can and are looking forward to the next race! Hastings was a fun track and I have met very few people as gracious of a host as George.

Edited by jackrabb1t

Moss racing had a great time this weekend thank you to all the racers and made such an awesome weekend I hope to see all of you at Brainerd.

Sanluke don't know if you'd want to try them but we run the nitto nt05 we Raced all Weekend on one set and I think the grip really well or you could just drive slower I would pick the second one If I were you :)

Jmoss, I am definitely going to try something different or go back to Direzzas.

Neither the BFG Rivals or the Hankooks can handle the abuse on my car. Syptoms are the same, ie the outer edges of the front tires chunk. My car is fairly heavy. It looks like the Hankooks work fine on lighter cars.

The rears handle it better, although drivers rear was also having issues, but not to the extent of the fronts.

Rotating helps, but not enough.

As you say, we could back it down from 11 10ths to just 10 10ths, then they may last😄

post-835-0-48136000-1432121358_thumb.jpg

Edited by Samluke