Daytona

j744

I liked the GP part of Daytona, we as a team thought it was going to be worse, but now believe the race was better.  It felt more like a road course and less like a giant oval.  I like to watch Nascar but love to race road courses.  Mike we hope you keep the new course layout.

• Like 3

I'm sure the "power" teams will disagree but can we start a petition to run that course every year?  I bet we can all agree that it was much more fun and technical.  I may be a bit bias but I loved it, suited our car very well.  In my opinion (for whatever that's worth), I think the "new " layout required more driver skill and less reliance on pure HP.  Also less overall mileage on the cars which was nice for us teams who maybe can't afford to put a new engine in every year.  Just a thought....had an absolute blast racing with you guys, as always. 

14 Hours of Daytona on full Rolex...   I only settled for this for this year because the track came up with this construction thing...  And my car is just about one of the slowest cars in the field, but I'd rather have the full circuit...  was the track fun, yes, had a blast...  but I want the Rolex...

Edited by Justin9
  • Like 7

Hi Kevin.   No cell in 802.  Just stock tank - 21.6 gal I believe.    The car was great on fuel (as good as our six-cylinder car with the identical tank) for some reason.  After much debating in the pits, we all agreed this was because we could only use half throttle in the infield because the rear traction was so terrible.  In the morning I remember getting pinched inside in the horseshoe all the way down in second gear (the only time I put it in second the whole stint), and trying to get the hell out of there and beat everyone to the kink but it was loud beside traffic and I was on the limiter roasting the tires for a couple of seconds.  When I checked mirrors at the kink, the entire International horseshoe was enveloped in a thick blue cloud of tire smoke.  It looked like a smoke bomb went off back there.  The tires look really good after the race which seems impossible and it was their second 14 hour race (they were on 801 last year).  Yokohamas.

The car ran out of fuel twice but made it back to pit lane.  That's what happened on the checker lap - Bobby ran out of gas on the back straight and the car flamed out, he bump started and lugged sixth back to pit lane.  He didn't know the race was over because the front stretch flag stand was pitch black. The car took the checker on pit lane.

• Like 1

Bcakes...Again great win for you guys.  You ran a good, consistent pace and it paid off for you guys!  Also a nice reliable car.

You guys were lucky with the fuel!!  I am pretty sure in motorcycle racing that you need to cross an "official finish line" and ending in pit road would cost you the win.  I remember people messing that up and screwing themselves on the win back in the day by pulling in a lap early...Also the Pros pulling in on the last lap (CCS races @ Daytona) not taking the checkered flag to allow the other non-pros to get the win. 

Again congrats!

Yeah I happened to walk up right as it pulled to a stop on pit road, and saw the flag switch from white to checkered. I was really confused because I knew we were only 60 seconds back from you guys the last time I timed you from the paddock. Then the official saying that you guys had not won, which added some drama. That freaking thing sure was fast! Some of the best but most frustrating racing I have done. I would pass you guys in 1, get passed on the short back stretch, pass you back going into the bus stop, then get passed into NASCAR 3 and get gapped by 20 car lengths by the start finish, only to reel you in and attempt a sliding pass on the outside in Turn 1 again. It was so much work to get around you guys, then have you breeze by on the oval like I was tied to a stump. In the wet I had your number (guessing due to open diff), but in the dry it took a few laps and some lucky breaks with traffic to keep you pinned back there so I could get away. Similar deal with the 21, 82 and 95.

• Like 1

Thank you Mark.  We take great pride in being able to say no KSR car has ever finished a Daytona race ahead of us for four years running. :)

We aim to keep that record intact.

In the middle of the race we were 12th. This year was just about putting renters in the car to go have some fun, then I got in the car and made it interesting getting us all the way to second. We had a 4 second spread between all of our drivers with Ethan and I being the quickest. The 4 guys that own the car typically only vary by 1 to 1.5 seconds, and none of us do any "professional" racing. Of course it is all bench racing at this point, but do the math on the potential differences. To keep it close with a car that has 90 hp on us and a 20+ mph advantage "the big track" is ok in my book. How is your record at Sebring vs us ;) This was the first year that our Z did not have any problems at Daytona.

• Like 1

Ok Kevin.  I was just saying that because I know how you are :).   Just friendly smack talk which is good to keep you motivated for next year.  Yes, you do seem to own Sebring, but the one time we did race there we were right behind you for 13.5 hours until the car died suddenly with electrical issues.  Also, by your own description of how a Daytona lap went against us this year, can you imagine what it would have been like with another big straightaway on the full course?  

Furthermore, your car is a purpose built racecar.   We drove ours to and from the track legally (on stock 16 inch rims with 225 tires)  :) 

Even took the kids to soccer camp in it the following morning.

Regardless we enjoy racing you every year and look forward to seeing you looking up at us on the podium next time. 

Edited by bcakes
  • Like 1