10  1:19.386 #94    Got a Racin' Probe-lem  1994 Ford Probe GT

11  1:19.595 #165   Osprey Motorsports 1995 Ford Mustang
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a great race, great track, and great event. We enjoyed running and racing with everyone, especially the BMW's (all of them).   The 24 hour race was the race we saw on the calendar and had to en

Look, if you have a compliant BMW, its hard to win in the Northwest.  I would invite anyone from other parts of the country to come out and give it a try.   We've only been trying for a year.   With t

The guy who was running the Quad rotor posted some video! definitly worth a watch!   >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn7dQxA_ujc

At the 22 Hour mark {via Livetiming},

P Laps

1  650 #16    Son of Andre       1989 Ford Mustang

2  629 #922   Clutch on Fire     1987 Toyota MR2

3  628 #25    Squirrels of Fury  1982 VW Rabbit

4  626 #48    Mediocre Motoring  1989 VW Golf

5  624 #94    Got a racin' Probe-lem  1994 Ford Probe GT

6  623 #121   Dragging Dragons   1995 1995 Honda Civic

7  619 #820   Snap Oversteer     1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 

8  618 #65    Osprey Motorsports 1993 Ford Mustang 

9  606 #8     My Little Pony     1986 Ford Mustang

10 595 #104   Rolling Craps      1975 Datsun 280Z

11 576 #557   Dog & Pony Show    1999 Ford Mustang
At the 23 Hour mark {via Livetiming},

P Laps

1  678 #16    Son of Andre       1989 Ford Mustang

2  655 #922   Clutch on Fire     1987 Toyota MR2

3  651 #48    Mediocre Motoring  1989 VW Golf

4  650 #121   Dragging Dragons   1995 1995 Honda Civic

5  649 #94    Got a racin' Probe-lem  1994 Ford Probe GT

6  645 #25    Squirrels of Fury  1982 VW Rabbit

7  643 #820   Snap Oversteer     1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 

8  642 #65    Osprey Motorsports 1993 Ford Mustang 

9  630 #8     My Little Pony     1986 Ford Mustang

10 618 #104   Rolling Craps      1975 Datsun 280Z

11 602 #557   Dog & Pony Show    1999 Ford Mustang

The Final Hour...
Unofficial Finish {via Livetiming},

P Laps

1  700 #16    Son of Andre       1989 Ford Mustang

2  673 #922   Clutch on Fire     1987 Toyota MR2

3  672 #48    Mediocre Motoring  1989 VW Golf

4  670 #121   Dragging Dragons   1995 1995 Honda Civic

5  670 #94    Got a racin' Probe-lem  1994 Ford Probe GT

6  664 #65    Osprey Motorsports 1993 Ford Mustang 

7  660 #820   Snap Oversteer     1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 

8  651 #8     My Little Pony     1986 Ford Mustang

9  645 #25    Squirrels of Fury  1982 VW Rabbit

10 639 #104   Rolling Craps      1975 Datsun 280Z

11 624 #557   Dog & Pony Show    1999 Ford Mustang

12 621 #178   Potatohead Racing  1978 Datsun 280Z

13 586 #32    Olsen Racing Team  1972 MG B

Official Results are in!

Thanks BFastTom for all the updates from live timing!

Absolutely awesome racing out there Chumps! Thanks to all you for coming out and helping us make this event so great!

Results can be found online at:

http://www.mylaps.com/en/events/1154601

or you can download results and lap times at:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3sE_eBHunfsT2RrRjJNLS1kWG8&usp=sharing

Hope to see you all again soon!

~Ben Blas

Timing and Scoring

• Technical Advisory Committee

Congrats son of A and mustang lovers everywhere!!!! wow a 25 lap win that's woppin um pretty good ,only 12 cars within 100 laps of them, MOV penalty going to hurt BAD though....

• Like 2

The mustang camp is getting there cars dialed in. It will be interesting to see what Pinto Dave's camaro will do with a few races under there belts. Fuel will be the equalizer.

It would be fun to see an end of year race with the better teams in the east vs the cental and west at road America. Or maybe Vagas. A 14 hour race to get a bit of strategy involved. That would be interesting!

No Bavarian's in the top 10 is unusual. VW camp has some good teams and drivers out west. Would like to see more of them.

• Like 1

No Bavarian's in the top 10 is unusual.

Not unusual for the West -- this coast has much greater diversity of makes and models, and even more so in PNW than in most places (still haven't figured out why yet); which is why I get irritated when I hear complaints about CC becoming "a one-make series", as up here at least, it just ain't so.

• Like 1

We don't let BMW's on the podium out here in the PNW.  I could be wrong, but I don't remember a BMW winning a ChumpCar race on any of our tracks out here. You are welcome to bring them out and try though, we are a friendly bunch, easy to get along with, and it gives us more cars to pass.

Edited by Randy
  • Like 1

The mustang camp is getting there cars dialed in. It will be interesting to see what Pinto Dave's camaro will do with a few races under there belts. Fuel will be the equalizer.

It would be fun to see an end of year race with the better teams in the east vs the cental and west at road America. Or maybe Vagas. A 14 hour race to get a bit of strategy involved. That would be interesting!

No Bavarian's in the top 10 is unusual. VW camp has some good teams and drivers out west. Would like to see more of them.

The Mustangs out here have always finished well up here... Very common to have more than 1 in the top10, especially on tracks like Spokane and ridge. Son of Andre has won a lot...not sure I know how many times 5 or 6? Only a handful of times NOT in top 10.

We don't let BMW's on the podium out here in the PNW.  I could be wrong, but I don't remember a BMW winning a ChumpCar race on any of our tracks out here. You are welcome to bring them out and try though, we are a friendly bunch, easy to get along with, and it gives us more cars to pass.

Well last year in the first race of the weekend at pacific there was a BMW sweep of Top 3... Does that count? ;)

It was the first thought when you posted that, but pretty sure there have been others.

http://www.mylaps.com/en/events/994893

One of the reasons I think PNW lacks a strong BMW presence is the regular club racing has a really strong BMW attendance. E30s have their own class called PRO3 (faster than spec e30 and roughly 80 cars built) and a bunch of e36/46 3 series & m3s mainly in a big class "ST". So basically having a main racing class in club racing drives up local prices of many of the other spare parts and donor cars. Now there are still quite a few strong competitors but this weekend two of the fast ones didn't finish.

• Like 1

The Mustangs out here have always finished well up here... Very common to have more than 1 in the top10, especially on tracks like Spokane and ridge. Son of Andre has won a lot...not sure I know how many times 5 or 6? Only a handful of times NOT in top 10.

I've often wondered if part of that is due to the PNW tracks being older, and not quite so infested with chicanes and 2nd-gear-corners as modern facilities are.

One of the reasons I think PNW lacks a strong BMW presence is the regular club racing has a really strong BMW attendance. E30s have their own class called PRO3 (faster than spec e30 and roughly 80 cars built) and a bunch of e36/46 3 series & m3s mainly in a big class "ST". So basically having a main racing class in club racing drives up local prices of many of the other spare parts and donor cars. Now there are still quite a few strong competitors but this weekend two of the fast ones didn't finish.

[nod] When K&N West Series ran PIR, ICSCC's PRO3 series was one of the support events -- *44* cars in the field one day, 40 the second. (I wanted to get a photo of it, and post it here captioned "Some Chump's Nightmare", but that would have been cruel and needlessly sadistic. >:) )

• Like 1

Look, if you have a compliant BMW, its hard to win in the Northwest.  I would invite anyone from other parts of the country to come out and give it a try.   We've only been trying for a year.   With the exception of one team member this is the first time any of us have raced, so we are still learning.  Maybe we are not a good yard stick.  If we don't have any problems we can put our car in the top 10 every race, but until this last weekend, we always felt our finishes (with the exception of a couple rain races) were based on who broke in front of us.   This weekend was the first time we felt like we had a real chance to challenge and some bad luck combined with not having the right part in the spares bin (lack of preparation), ended our race.  That's endurance racing.

SoA had us covered,  they were very kind saying that they were disappointed we didn't stick around and challenge them, and I believe they were being sincere (after all who wants a 27 lap MOV penalty :)  )  But we sort of felt that if we had been able to get within striking distance, they were just going to turn up the wick, and not let us get any closer.   They simply have a faster car and they have good drivers to insert when they need it.    And they always get to start several laps ahead of us....except for the next three races  :D

Actually a 27 lap MOV penalty is ridiculous, especially since it was a 24 hour race and their closest competitors dropped out. Give them our penalty and we can have some fun racing with them straight up for the next three races.

• Like 3

As I predicted vocally to many people, this race was a race of logistics and who could keep it on the track.

While there was enough regulars there to normally challenge SoA, nobody stepped up, certainly not us.

After being down for about an hour fixing/replacing a broken CV  and running out of gas TWICE we were down ~30 laps at 5 hours in.

We were not even disappointed when we ran out the second time (changing a filter changed the behavior of the fuel system when low) as we thought we were completely out of any chance at more than a top 10.

Between attrition and the short course being fantastic to us we were able to fight back to 3rd with our sights on 2nd when with about 1 hour to go we lost the CV again. 

Congratulations to everyone that finished a race of this magnitude (24 hours)

And especially to all the new teams who came out to attempt finishing.

• Like 2

What a great race, great track, and great event. We enjoyed running and racing with everyone, especially the BMW's (all of them).

The 24 hour race was the race we saw on the calendar and had to enter no matter what.  Unfortunately crashing at Pacific Raceways made for a bunch of late nights rebuilding the car and we were excited to put the car on track a week ago for a short test at the Ridge.  The car ran well and we rolled on a fresh layer of Rust-Oleum, loaded up the car and headed to run the test day at ORP Friday.  The team discovered quickly that the car was running hot.  I picked up a new radiator in Portland (thank goodness as the radiator then cracked and leaked after lunch in the test) and we got it installed just in time to run the last test session.  The car was still hot, so we changed the thermostat and hoped for the best (all-night engine change not the best before an all-night race).

The race began and the engine temperature was looking good during the formation laps, things were looking up.  We took things slow during the usual green flag craziness but as the race progressed, we got the radio call that the temperatures were climbing and we would need to limit the revs if we had any chance in finishing the race. Orders were handed down not to rev over 4K and not to stay in the draft of another car; water would be added every pit stop.  The team came together and executed doing their best to learn how pull 3rd gear corners and change their style of driving.  Night fell and the fun of driving in a constant dust storm of swirling brown from everyone’s tires thinking the dirt was faster than pavement.  Somehow we emerged when the sun came back up with only 2 heavily flat spotted tires and a bent wheel. Things were looking good and the cool air was what we needed. The cars we were battling had bad luck and we emerged in the lead.

The forced gear changes and low revs transformed the car at this track.  It settled the car and things became smooth and easier to drive at all speeds. With a lead that increased as cars dropped out, I didn’t want to be accused of sand bagging in our last stint. So I ran the last stint as if it was for the win and we were still neck and neck with you guys. I know everyone out there will call BS and form some crazed ideas, but it is simply that we love to race just like you and parade laps just isn’t our style!

Thanks again to everyone who volunteered allowing us to have a blast at such a challenging event at your sleepless expense!  Can’t wait to do it again!

Matt Chambers

#16 Son of Andre

• Like 9

wow 27 lap lead!!! lol

Hey we only have a 1.6 liter! Good news is we only burned 110 gallons of gas. As with most teams we some problems we had to live with but the old Toyota held together... Barely. Left rear wheel bearing was gone and the whole corner would have fallen off if it wasn't for the caliper bracket. Besides getting black flagged twice for dragging exhaust and once for a sparking tire?! it was all gas and go for us. Great race weekend everyone!

Jason

Clutch on Fire #922

Edited by CoF Racing
  • Like 2

We're just happy to have completed the race with only one new dent, making our drivers side door look more like the passenger side door (thanks Finally Racing).  I think we would have done better if it wasn't for horribly long pit stops and having to resort to lift and coast in the heavy braking corners due to our brakes overheating 7 hours in.  Also developed a clutch issue at night that caused us periodic shifting problems every now and then.  

The dust at night made for some interesting laps but overall it was a hell of a lot of fun and I'm glad we decided to go.

What a great race! While it was disappointing our car (Wu Chan Clan #28 Neon) had to retire after hour 10 with a substantial front crank seal leak, our pace was encouraging. I had a few good battles out on track with a number of different cars, but want to apologize to the my little pony team for the contact at T2 about 7 hrs into the race. I thought the door was open for a pass but I clearly misjudged it.

• Like 1