Summit Point

Trukk

I think today was best summed up the the word: Attrition.

Ghetto got blasted, inACURAte got shot, Schultz got sent to the hot box, Red Rooster crowed their way to the pits on a wrecker, Questies was questin for a driveshaft that would stay intact....and on and on and on.

TCR-2 ended up with a spun rod bearing 5 hours in (we were in 5th at that point), TCR-1 (that takes 9 penalty laps!) made it to impound at the end of a long day in 4th.  Ronalds was their usual kick azz self and came in first.

I was surprised that with our bright red springs, no one said anything in impound...not a word.   Yes we claim them (hence our crazy numbers of laps).  Our first time in impound, no one called us a cheater...I FEEL CHEATED! :D

Also, Bill Strong was a pit marshall.....Crazy day 1.

Mike added and extra two hours to the race tomorrow morning, so we get a 10+6, which is awesome.

Crashing out.  See you folks in the morning.

-Chris

• Administrators

I think today was best summed up the the word: Attrition.

Ghetto got blasted, inACURAte got shot, Schultz got sent to the hot box, Red Rooster crowed their way to the pits on a wrecker, Questies was questin for a driveshaft that would stay intact....and on and on and on.

TCR-2 ended up with a spun rod bearing 5 hours in (we were in 5th at that point), TCR-1 (that takes 9 penalty laps!) made it to impound at the end of a long day in 4th. Ronalds was their usual kick azz self and came in first.

I was surprised that with our bright red springs, no one said anything in impound...not a word. Yes we claim them (hence our crazy numbers of laps). Our first time in impound, no one called us a cheater...I FEEL CHEATED! :D

Also, Bill Strong was a pit marshall.....Crazy day 1.

Mike added and extra two hours to the race tomorrow morning, so we get a 10+6, which is awesome.

Crashing out. See you folks in the morning.

-Chris

You want protested? Start even with the field Chris lol

To Mike and the entire Chump Staff,

A big thank you for all that everyone does. This was our teams first race (918 Visceral racing group, white 944) and although we only lasted a little over 3hrs we had a great time!! We cant wait to do it again!

To all our fellow racers out there if we drove a little erratic or just plain bad, we apologize, we will get better. We hope to see everyone again at Lime Rock.

Ron

• Like 1

I'll echo that comment. Mike and crew were top notch as always. Thanks guys!

inACURAte had plenty of issues the first day. We ran up front then a half shaft grenaded. After a 20min swap we came back in 25th place. Several hours went by and we saw as good as 9th or 10th (iirc) then boom the same damn axle. Without a spare we had the pleasure of taking the two good halves of the broken ones and making a "good one". After well over an hour in the pits the car made it back out and finished in 12th.

Today within the first 10 minutes our driver reported vibration. Oh goodie! After the first two hours a peek in the wheel well revealed yet another half shaft blew all the grease out and it was obviously dying. We took bets that it wouldn't make it past 12:20. Add to that, the drivers side rear suspension spring had collapsed which really made things interesting in the rain.

Well....with plenty of babying and not powering out of corners it lasted the rest of the day. I definatley lost that bet. Big thanks to Turtle Eclipse for doing our fire bottle during the last change. Also, great clean driving by all!

post-5831-0-85509900-1434319692_thumb.jp

post-5831-0-45140300-1434319743_thumb.jp

Edited by m3to335

Top Notch Job by Mike, Andrea and the whole crew.

Big thanks to TCR for loaning us their spare alternator when it died with 1 1/2 hrs left to go on Sat while were battling the 370 for P2/P3.  While initially bummed that the alternator died, it allowed us to find that one of the two bracket holding the steering column was snapped off and the other was half the way there, so it was a blessing in disguise.  A detached steering column in the karussell would have been no bueno.  Alt swapped and some ugly welds later and we were set for day 2.

Congrats to InACURATE, you guys were bad fast despite your mechanical woes.  We ended the day P2, our best finish to date.

Thanks again

• Like 3

• Administrators

Not only was Bill Strong there... But Ian Strong was there too as the Pit Out dude! lol.

0613150659.jpg

I took 127 picks or so of what I could during my tenure as a pit marshall. I also observed a lot of good and a few bads. I'll be doing some write-ups about what I saw. By the way... the bads were fueling and heat issues with drivers and crew.

Images are still uploading, so check back later.

https://picasaweb.google.com/104103211866156336989/ChumpCarSummitPoint2015?authuser=0&feat=directlink

I was looking at laps times. 

I'll be back at next years Summit Point.

• Like 1

So TCR had a crazy weekend.

This was our first trip as a team to Summit Point.  We had a full cadre of drivers and crew with us.  We had 14(!) drivers.  Each slated for one stint, and four crew members, plus a lot of friends and family.  In our team, we rent out seats in TCR-1 (the white 144 e30), and then the owners drive TCR-2 (the red 335 e30).  We ended up with a few extra renters (it's hard to say no, to folks we know), so we were going to have a few renters in TCR-2 on Sunday.  One of the positives of renting with us, is that if we have an issue with one car, we can figure out a way to get our renters their track time in our other car (more on that later).

Both cars were completely ready to go, with the exception of a quick plug change for TCR-1 on Friday evening.

Gina and John Schwaebler were up first thing on Saturday.  This was a first for us having husband and wife out simultaneously.  Gina has driven with us a bunch of times, just to spoil things a bit, 3 out of the last 4 races, we've had issues with TCR-2, and TCR-1 has placed higher.  Gina was with TCR-1 for those 3 races (you do the math!).  Anyway, both cars were running fine, although we did have a weird starter issue with TCR-2 at the start, and had to push start it to get it going (the problem never re-manifested, so we'll have to try and figure that one out.)  Up after Gina in TCR-1 was Jonathan Noriega and then Brandon Hodges.  Both had a lot of DE experience, but this was their first time wheel to wheel.  Jonathan went out and was cranking out consistent 1:48 / 1:47 style laps.  He was killing it!  Not to be outdone, Brandon then went out and put down a few  low 1:46's.  His time ended up being fastest of the weekend for us in either car.  In TCR-2, Robert went out for an uneventful stint, followed by Ron.

Ron was running 1:46's in TCR-2 as well and had pulled us up to 5th place, until he heard a POP, and came into pit with a pretty disgusting death rattle.  We pulled the valve cover to see if we had snapped a rocker.  All was well there, so after doing the screwdriver listening test, we isolated the sound, and it looks like we probably spun a rod bearing in that car.  So TCR-2 ended up retired at about 12:30.

Jonathan and Brandon in TCR-1 had driven us up into the top 10, and then Phil Grandfield drove nice consistent 1:50ish times, with no drama, and handed it off to Pat Seminaris.  Pat used to run spec miata, so we had poked fun at him up to his stint about not crashing into other folks, like the spec pinata drivers are known to do.  He also ran nice and consistent like phil, and had us up to P6.  They handed off to our usual closer in TCR-1 (Chris Stanley).  We slid into 4th due to the misfortune of the Schultz & Co car.  They suffered an alternator issue while in P2 with about 40 minutes to go.  They had pulled into the pits with a dead alternator and a dead battery.  We offered up the battery in TCR-2, to help them try and get a podium, even though it probably would have pushed us to 6th place (sometimes you have to make a deposit into the racing karma bank!)  Justin accepted that offer, but then found the steering column issue, and retired their car.

So due to all the attrition of the day, and some nice consistent driving, we ended up at our very first impound, and best finish ever: 4th place.  That is pretty amazing considering our stable was 5 renters, plus one (we had an extra pit stop, because Brandon and Jonathan were running so fast, they couldn't do a full 2 hours each), none had driven wheel to wheel at this track (heck 3 had never driven wheel to wheel before at all, and only 1 had any time on this track) and that car took 9 penalty laps (we never took off the cheater springs from 4 years ago, so it always takes laps).

A big thank you to Mike, for adding on the extra 2 hours on Sunday.  This allowed us to slide the two  renters who were scheduled in TCR-2 over to TCR-1 and get the seat time they had paid for.  Unfortunately, the early demise of TCR-2, left myself and Will (our head wrench) with out any stints for the weekend :(.  Anyway, our first driver on Sunday, was running pretty good, but ended up losing it just after pit in, and smacked a jersey wall pretty hard.  He was shaken up, but was OK.  The car has seen better days though.

Summit_TCR1-1_zpsa2oovbpg.jpg

Summit_TCR1-2_zpsjgwbqepv.jpg

In all our years racing chump we had a bunch of firsts at this race (good and bad);

- First major mechanical that we couldn't recover from in that race and get the car back out (note: technically I did money shift at daytona with 5 minutes to go, but I don't count that :D

- First wreck in TCR-1, that we couldn't fix at the track an continue.  Pretty amazing for our rental car, with 173 on track hours on it. (NOTE: we did wreck out TCR-2 at the 2014 VIR24 in the first 45 minutes.)

- First time in impound

- Highest finish to date (4th).

I also got introduced to a new team that was forming (hello to Tiny, Ward and their crew), as part of the new Mentor/Protege program Mike is putting together.  I talked to those guys a bunch on Saturday, and I'm sure will be trading e-mails and calls in the future with them,.

This weekend really put a hurting on our overall car availability numbers.  To this point TCR-1 had been on track for 162 out of 166 available track hours (over 97% availability).  Missing 4.5 hours on Sunday, takes us down to 95%.  Still pretty amazing numbers for that car.  I'm really hoping we can get both of them fixed back up for the 24 in August.

Thanks again to The chump staff for a great event, and the other teams there.  This is by far the smallest event we've done with chump.  With that said, the driving was excellent (only a couple FCY's, and VERY minor contact all weekend), and the camaraderie in the pits was definitely the best we've encountered.  So while, we had our issues, we still had a blast.

-Chris

P.S. I talked to the diesel rabbit guys.  They told me they had dumped 11 gallons into their car during Saturdays race! unbelievable!

Edited by Trukk
  • Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee

Summit_TCR1-1_zpsa2oovbpg.jpg

Summit_TCR1-2_zpsjgwbqepv.jpg

So sad to see her like that! Let me know if I can help you guys once you figure out the path forward.

I also got introduced to a new team that was forming (hello to Tiny, Ward and their crew), as part of the new Mentor/Protege program Mike is putting together.  I talked to those guys a bunch on Saturday, and I'm sure will be trading e-mails and calls in the future with the,.

Glad Tiny made it up there to watch and talk with you.

So sad to see her like that! Let me know if I can help you guys once you figure out the path forward.

<SNIP>

Glad Tiny made it up there to watch and talk with you.

Huggy,  We could sure use the shell you've put together ;)

Seriously though, we are planning to pull the front apart this week, and see where we stand.  It didn't appear to have an major leaks, when it pulled in (no coolant issues, and just a very small oil leak).  The big thing is going to see if there are any major driveline issues, how bad off the supporting stuff in the engine bay/suspension faired, and then determine how much got deformed in the front (how bad did the frame rails/towers get mashed; obviously the horns are hella bent.)

We'll figure it out, while at the same time figuring out what needs to be done engine-wise on TCR-2.  Lots of logistics, accounting and wrench turning over the next 6 weeks!

-Chris

I'm not sure, but I think we came in 16th overall both days.  Saturday we were out for 90 minutes with no shifting whatsoever, Finally we got enough to bump start the car and bang shift it to 4th and we cruised the entire track in fourth for about 7 hours on Saturday - and also finished Saturday with a flatish front left tire (about 5 psi). FTD on our team of the fourth gear crew by a total novice who has only ever done 1 DE. Only 1 of our 4 has done wheel to wheel prior to this race

Sunday, we made about 7 laps and the clutch exploded. Thanks so much to GHETTO for having the parts we needed. we wound up changing the clutch and missed the entire first 2 hour race minus the 7 laps. After the church break we were back on track about 75 million laps down and were able to fight and claw back to 16th.  It looked like Tokyo drift for about an hour on Sunday when the rain came down. Oh and there was that melting wire issue and no gauges also. Outstanding help and racing from fellow chumpers. Thanks again Ghetto and Chump staff. 162 FONGBROS faded sky blue RX-7

p.s. If you ever need to be schooled on how to do a fast pit stop, watch us, then do the opposite. We even exceeded 5 minutes just doing a driver change. We only had 1 stop all weekend for fuel and driver change that left us with 90 seconds on the clock.

We learned from experience that it CAN be straightened out, and the front sub-structure needs to come off and probably be replaced.  However if the shock mount areas also moved, you are probably looking at a total loss.  Our car looked similar at VIR and with my Excursion pulling it back to kinda straight allowed us to race Sunday after the Saturday accident.  I should have taken pictures, but I wadded it up good in 6 there.  

This winter the guys did such a good job repairing it that you can't tell it was even in an accident except for the new different colored front fenders.  

Edited by Jer

We learned from experience that it CAN be straightened out, and the front sub-structure needs to come off and probably be replaced.  However if the shock mount areas also moved, you are probably looking at a total loss.  Our car looked similar at VIR and with my Excursion pulling it back to kinda straight allowed us to race Sunday after the Saturday accident.  I should have taken pictures, but I wadded it up good in 6 there.  

This winter the guys did such a good job repairing it that you can't tell it was even in an accident except for the new different colored front fenders.  

After our wreck last year at the VIR 24, our passenger shock tower was pointed at the firewall, so that type of carnage can be fixed......we'll find out more when we rip into it this week.

Also Schumacher Taxi Service did very well this weekend.  It was heard in the paddock that part of the succuess was due to the fact that a certain "wrecker or checker" team mate now lives in Colorado and didn't race with the team this weekend....not sure who they were talking about :D

-Chris

Edited by Trukk
  • Like 2

Hahaha yeah that's it. 

Those guys left are clean drivers and know how to take care of a car.  I'm so happy for them with a 3rd and a 4th, fantastic!  I'm sad I missed Summit Shanadoah, one of my favorite tracks.  Maybe next year.

• Administrators

Chris, sorry to see such bad luck over the weekend with the cars.  I'm glad you made it to an impound position.  It looks like the TCR-1 will buff out!   When we hit the wall at Road America the rear end of the BMW was shifted to the passenger's side about 3".  We took it to a frame shop in town and they were able to get it fixed for us and it only cost $330.  I hope you have the same amount of luck.  See you at the 24!

• Like 1

162 FONGBROS faded sky blue RX-7

I was in the Turtle Eclipse car during both rainy sessions on Sat and Sun and had several good laps running with your RX-7 on Saturday. The Turtle isn't the best in the corners, but it pulls pretty good on the straights.