Michigan - Motor City Madness Official Results

Had a blast!!! Our first ever podium(3rd Place). Such a shame the car count was low. MIS is an amazing facility and the people are fantastic. This was our first Central Region race and the Chumpcar staff were great. Hopefully the the series will continue to race there because we definitely want to go back.

• Like 2

Had a great time.  This was the first time we got to lead a ChumpCar race.  It was only for one lap as we outlasted all the contenders on mileage.  We ran in the top 5 all day - all the way until 3 minutes left.  Our engine suffered terminal head gasket problems about 11 hours in and it was almost enough to hang in the top five.  Cool thing is we helped three of the top 5 teams.  Little things maybe but it is part of ChumpCar. 

I still like long races and MIS is a fantastic facility.

First time with the Central region and the guys ran a good race. 

Edited by mostmint
  • Like 2

Last year was our first ever Chump race and we destroyed the car 4 hours in. I didnt even get a chamce to drive in 2014. So this year I wanted nothing more than to finish the race. We made it around 7 hours in when the motor started loosing power. The engine was roasted so we swapped in the spare and were able to finish the race. 9th place felt as good as winning a world championship.

My wife kicked mine and the other drivers butt on lap times. She rocks.

It was a great time and I hope to run it again next year.

• Like 2

Daikoku Futo Rejects had a terminal engine failure about 3 hrs into the race. We now have a new PCV system on the block. The hole is about 6 in diameter where part of the crank tried to come out.

Now in process to rebuild the car and get it ready for VIR.

Thanks Chump staff for running a smooth show this weekend. We hope MIS stays on the calendar next year!!!

Red Shoe Racing had a great time, running as high as 8th before the right front hub beat itself to death. Second race in a row it has done that. We think we have a bead on what is causing it (Thanks Ghetto Fab!!!) so we should have it well sorted come Gingerman.

I had a great time playing cat and mouse with the 616 for the first hour + of my stint. Definate highlight of my time in Chump so far. Hope to see you guys on track again soon.

This was our first race with Mike and I must say, we were very impressed. Great race, great staff, please don't let the low car count cancel this event. Shift it back to the August date so we don't conflict with Canada and we should easily be back to 40 cars. 

Horsepower may rule here but it is damn fun chasing those cars back down through the infield if you don't have it.

• Administrators

I'm sitting at the local watering hole since I have today off after a long weekend at MIS.  We had a lot of fun at the Speedway this past weekend.  We showed up Friday around 12:30 pm in Bill Strong style with being the first team there.  We unloaded the Bells Oberon keg and was able to get that tapped by 2 pm.  Thanks for everyone who came up to drink with us and help us try to finish off that keg.  Even though there was a low car count we had a lot of fun.  I always enjoy MIS for some reason, I don't know why yet.  I think it is the people we race with and against.

We started out well for the first 8 laps battling with 991 for the lead until our radiator hose blew off!  I will double clamp that for next race but when we got back out we were in 16th place and 9 laps down from the leader, but there was plenty of time left in the race to catch the leaders.  When I finished the stint I was up in 8th.  We ended up getting up to 5th place and battling with the top teams for a while.  We were catching the Saturn and Spartan until my driver came in and told me the car would not turn right.  We diagnosed this for an hour and a half just to realize the rack was full of air.  We drained it and plugged it to continue on for the last 4.5 hours of racing.  We ended up finishing 4th place and got our first trophy ever which is an accomplishment for our team.  In the past four races we have three top 10s and a top 5 finish.

Thanks to Mike, Brock and Huggy for coming out and putting on an awesome event.  Thanks to the other racers for coming out and making this a fun race.  We hope this is back on the schedule for next year but make it in Sept and you'll get more racers.  Don't do August because you have the 24 hour race and some teams might not be able to make the race two to three weeks later (like Gingerman this year).

We will see you all at the VIR 24!

Start of the race, with Steve chasing Crank Yankers through traffic.  Race starts at ~22min, traffic with CYR at ~26.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIxIxnXTLkw

This was our first race with Central region, and our first podium finish.  Chumpcar put on a great race, only wish more cars could have made it to the race, and stayed in one piece.  

Loved the track, and the infield was far more fun than we ever expected.  Hopefully we'll be back next year, see you all at Gingerman! 

• Like 1

Red Shoe Racing had a great time, running as high as 8th before the right front hub beat itself to death. Second race in a row it has done that. We think we have a bead on what is causing it (Thanks Ghetto Fab!!!) so we should have it well sorted come Gingerman.

That track was hard on the right front corner.  You should have heard our RF wheel bearing howling for the last 3 hours.  Get that focus beefed up, we want to see you at Gingerman!

• Administrators

Start of the race, with Steve chasing Crank Yankers through traffic.  Race starts at ~22min, traffic with CYR at ~26.

This was our first race with Central region, and our first podium finish.  Chumpcar put on a great race, only wish more cars could have made it to the race, and stayed in one piece.  

Loved the track, and the infield was far more fun than we ever expected.  Hopefully we'll be back next year, see you all at Gingerman! 

This was a fun start to the race!  I wish the radiator hose wouldn't of blew off to see what would've happened through the first stint.  Congrats guys!

Start of the race, with Steve chasing Crank Yankers through traffic. Race starts at ~22min, traffic with CYR at ~26.

This was our first race with Central region, and our first podium finish. Chumpcar put on a great race, only wish more cars could have made it to the race, and stayed in one piece.

Loved the track, and the infield was far more fun than we ever expected. Hopefully we'll be back next year, see you all at Gingerman!

Watching your video and I can't believe how much later you can brake than our car. I was already on the phone sorting out different pads for Gingerman. We had new Carbotech XP8 and they were gone 8 hours in. We had to change

to a second set and one new caliper for the final 3 stints.

Good job, we'll see you in August.

Start of the race, with Steve chasing Crank Yankers through traffic. Race starts at ~22min, traffic with CYR at ~26.

This was our first race with Central region, and our first podium finish. Chumpcar put on a great race, only wish more cars could have made it to the race, and stayed in one piece.

Loved the track, and the infield was far more fun than we ever expected. Hopefully we'll be back next year, see you all at Gingerman!

Watching your video and I can't believe how much later you can brake than our car. I was already on the phone sorting out different pads for Gingerman. We had new Carbotech XP8 and they were gone 8 hours in. We had to change

For us, IMHO, If you stick with Carbotech, I would not run any other Carbotech pad then the RP2 compound. The others, as you found out, just don't last long enough.

I would also look to see if they have PFC 08 for your car. If so, switch... We run Frozen rotors with PFC 08. Got 41 hours out of the last set of pads (both front and rear) and can get another race out of the rotors, possibly two...

For us, IMHO, If you stick with Carbotech, I would not run any other Carbotech pad then the RP2 compound. The others, as you found out, just don't last long enough.

I would also look to see if they have PFC 08 for your car. If so, switch... We run Frozen rotors with PFC 08. Got 41 hours out of the last set of pads (both front and rear) and can get another race out of the rotors, possibly two...

I talked to Mark at Frozen Rotors. He is recommending Raybestos ST-43. We will use OE rotors because we have a brand new set on the shelf and this car only has two more races this year.

I talked to Mark at Frozen Rotors. He is recommending Raybestos ST-43. We will use OE rotors because we have a brand new set on the shelf and this car only has two more races this year.

We're running the PFC08s.  Get them if you can, we get up to 40 hours out of a set of pads depending on the track.  Used the carbotechs on other cars - the RP2s work ok, but anyting XP wont last.

Edit - we run the cheapo rock auto rotors, usually get 2-3 events out of a set.

Edited by Hi_Im_Will

+1 for using PFC08s. We just did 18 hours at Watkins and now MIS on a set of pads and rotors! We could get another 3 to 4 hours out of them if needed

They are wicked. We did 14hrs Mosport + 18hrs Watkins, still have 20% left on fronts, rears are done though (no cooling).

Maxima blew clutch disk to pieces.  Car ran really well until 5th stint.  We had a new clutch in trailer but figured that for the 1.5 hrs to fix we would only place 5th. So we decided to start drinking CYR's beer, since they couldn't drink it all by themselves. :D

• Like 3

Maxima blew clutch disk to pieces.  Car ran really well until 5th stint.  We had a new clutch in trailer but figured that for the 1.5 hrs to fix we would only place 5th. So we decided to start drinking CYR's beer, since they couldn't drink it all by themselves. :D

:(   You guys had the win in the bag too!.  We were pushing hard to keep up, but were going to need an extra fuel stop.  Will the maxima be back together for GIngerman?

• Technical Advisory Committee

Brilliant!

• Technical Advisory Committee

Any more stories from the trenches?   Like what happened to the Maxima?   Would love to hear their story since they looked to be running very strong.

They almost beat Gort's track record, they were running fast times very consistently too!