BIR - Donnybrooke

jahnmel

Just driving home from Minnesota. Had a great time in spite of a hole in the radiator on lap 3. JB Weld let us down and ended up with a bolt and a couple of o-rings got us back on the track.

Heard a little talk about boring but whoever thinks flat out into a bank turn that leads into a wide open flat turn is is boring leads a much more exciting life than I do.

• Like 1

Interesting race. A lot of new faces on the track. A lot of familiar faces missing. Last two hours seems the craziest. Don't know what it was; sun going down, or just everyone trying for the lap record but tons of off road and wild driving. Still had a good time, used up a lot of tire, pretty much only on the left side. Wonder why.  :unsure:

Was a good race, we were shaking down our new car after a rough debut at RPM 3 weeks ago.  With fuel filling issues, tires on backorder everywhere, and a suspension that was making the word understeer an understatement (pun intended), we managed to pull off a 3rd place finish.  The track was definitely better suited for the V8's, of which there was a lot.  I didnt think I would ever see a mid 90's v8 Firebird and Camaro in this series, but luckily they DRANK fuel on the straight and were not an issue.

240SX with some Japanese V8 in it.I thought it was EC? Maybe the second page of the declared parts blew away in the wind....

I thought over and over that "this was a mistake, that thing has got to be EC.  Must not have given him a sticker".   

Nope

I didnt have enough time to spend looking at their car with a fine tooth comb, but from what i saw I have to call bull cookies...

Even the guys that pulled up in a $1million truck and trailer, with a full rally race team, even those guys pulled out a totally "within the rules" ford focus and ran all day.  (Kudos to them!)

Getting so tired of this....

The 400SX as it was called, lost their 5th gear during the race. Look back at Mylaps to see when that happened. That is the only reason we had a chance. When they had the entire gearbox they claimed 160 down the strait. No reason to doubt that. Their race craft was good. Seems like they needed to keep to about a 2:01 lap to make it 2 hours. Our strategy, if you could call it that, was to run them a little harder and force an additional stop or a mistake. The bad part is if it worked, we would be hung out to dry with a massive MOV. But, we wanted to go for the win and uphold the Central Region Chumpcar honor. 

Enjoyed seeing the Jagermouse 914ish thing, Purple headed chumps, that great 2 door crown vic and ABR among others. 

• Like 1

We had the Firebird and our buddies had the Camaro.  And, yes, we used tons of fuel.  Amazing how badly you can beat a car and have it hold up for 12 hours. 

Does anyone remember who the photographer was at the track yesterday?  I want to show my little kids a picture of the Dinoco car (240/400SX) and I'm hoping he'll have a few.  They'll be more entertained by that than our car.

Thanks

TBD Team

I heard rumors that there was one individual at Brainerd looking at the 240 and his math was far north of 500 points.  I overheard him say that if the same car shows up at RA for the chumponship it would be sent home in bushel baskets after tear down.

• Like 1

Sounds about right.

Certainly seems that if they are at the chumpionship it is not a matter of IF they get protested but by HOW MANY different parties.

I heard rumors that there was one individual at Brainerd looking at the 240 and his math was far north of 500 points. I overheard him say that if the same car shows up at RA for the chumponship it would be sent home in bushel baskets after tear down.

Roll your own.

IF it's a 1UZFE..........

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=571626

http://collinsadapters.com/index.php/1uzfe-to-s13-complete-swap-kit.html

Oh,and the CHEAPEST A rated "IN" motor is $680.

Lots of 240SX A rated motors in the $500 range.

So it must have been something else.

Or maybe it takes "Common Core" math to make it come out.

WHAT Bugs me I've been running EC because I can't fit a manual transmission and a couple extra coolers under $550.In an Oldsmobile.

Edited by Racedad
  • Like 1

Moss racing had a great time even though we had some mechanical problems blown head gasket I hope.

Once again superclean racing I only seen one contact all weekend I believe to was between Rat patrol and the Festiva not sure what happened I come up on the tail end of it .

I have to thank jahn and Tim in the blue Mustang For leting me run with them after I let the smoke out of my car hoping to make it to Road America to see you guys there .

• Like 1

Roll your own.

WHAT Bugs me I've been running EC because I can't fit a manual transmission and a couple extra coolers under $550.In an Oldsmobile.

540 is the new 500..... ;)

Had a great time running with ABR this weekend. As always, Glen's car ran great and the whole crew did a great job driving. Perfect race, only one 2-off all day, only went over 5 mins by about :30 on one stop for a tire change, no black flags or unplanned stops. 6 penalty laps because E36, lost by about 9. As always, tons of good people and clean driving.

The 400sx was pretty special. Very clean car, obviously well-built, crazy fast, apparently a new era of chumpcar where expensive is good and rules don't matter.

I love how people claim rules don't matter and/or how the car got through tech unscathed... and, yet, nobody knows.  Idle chatter is cheap.  Wait until the staff gets home after working this event and travelling 2,000 miles.  Once they speak, I'll listen.  Meanwhile, it's just idle chatter.

Roll your own.

540 is the new 500..... ;)

160 is the new 140.....?