FOCK Racing...we did it!

Snorman

Our first Chumpcar race and our first finish. Despite having to replace a fuel pump barely an hour into the race, and fighting a fuel starvation issue related to the factory siphon setup that caused us to fuel pit every 30-40 minutes (when the car would start to fall down due to no fuel), we made our way up to 40th place. Best lap was a :47 and we were running pretty consistently after settling in around 5-6 hours. Car was in a yard for over four years until early-July when we started working on it.

SZCIoT.jpg

Yr1ZLz.jpg

PRrGVY.jpg

Only one contact, when the race leader got into us in T6 at around 11 hours (yes, we have the video too).

cKoqRo.jpg

It was a great time, and we'll be back for Road Atlanta in February (?) 2016 then Sebring again.

S.

• Like 8

Thanks guys. We're all from central Florida, mostly the Orlando area. Car is stock (no cheaty parts) with a few slightly upgraded open parts and a 178k engine with low compression in #6.

We learned a LOT from watching some of you experienced guys, particularly related to pitting, fueling and organization and are really looking forward to the next race.

S.

• Like 1

How did you guys like starting the race 6 laps down with your completely stock car? Kinda silly eh? Glad to see another Z32 in the field though. Its a cool car, with some areas that are a pain in the butt to work on.

We built the #223 Z32 so we know all about the struggles of running those cars. I hope you have a large accusump on the car, because if you ever put stickier tires on the car, it is going to oil starve very badly with the stock oil pan setup. I highly suggest plumbing your oil pressure gauge with -4an teflon hose and you will see the starvation that I am talking about (if you used the 1/8" copper line that comes with the gauge, you will not see it, but the engine will be eating itself). Check your rod bearings often and go easy on the transmission because it will blow the little clips out of the 3/4 cluster and develop really bad grinding that eventually leads to a broken shift fork.

We may do AMP later this year and we can haul you guys up if you want to pitch in for the transport costs. We are based out of Gainesville.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info and offer!

Yeah...we know about the oiling issue. But for this race, we knew the car was soft in #6 and we were going to have to either do or replace the motor afterwards anyway, so it didn't make the "short list". Either an Accusump or modification to the stock pan. All the stuff that we didn't get to will be addressed for Road Atlanta. The entire team knew not to push the trans, so we're driving it pretty easily. In fact, we set our shift light at 6k.

No issues from tech on the factory glass headlights, but they were also taped up with heli blade tape, so we didn't expect any problems in tech.

S.

How did you guys like starting the race 6 laps down with your completely stock car? Kinda silly eh? Glad to see another Z32 in the field though. Its a cool car, with some areas that are a pain in the butt to work on.

We built the #223 Z32 so we know all about the struggles of running those cars. I hope you have a large accusump on the car, because if you ever put stickier tires on the car, it is going to oil starve very badly with the stock oil pan setup. I highly suggest plumbing your oil pressure gauge with -4an teflon hose and you will see the starvation that I am talking about (if you used the 1/8" copper line that comes with the gauge, you will not see it, but the engine will be eating itself). Check your rod bearings often and go easy on the transmission because it will blow the little clips out of the 3/4 cluster and develop really bad grinding that eventually leads to a broken shift fork.

We may do AMP later this year and we can haul you guys up if you want to pitch in for the transport costs. We are based out of Gainesville.

We originally built our car for Lemons and back then you could sell parts off of the car to add some room into the budget. The lexan that we used to cover the driving lights that we use gets us some extra points with Chumpcar, just like our oil pan, oil cooler, motor mounts, blah blah blah, lol. (if you have been on the forum long you may have seen my complaints about this part of the rules being a little silly in my opinion).

The engine has been really good in our car so far. I may buy another one if I decide to run the 38 at Homestead, if we do not run that one, I will just keep beating the one that is in there. Its getting a little smokey on start up, but seems to still run really well in spite of that.

There are a couple ways to "fix" the fuel system. One is to get a fuel pump bucket from a Neon, which has a really nice siphon feature in the bottom of it and it fills the bucket up when the siphon has fuel on it, then if you go around a corner and the fuel runs away from the siphon hole, you have about a quart of fuel to keep going until you can get fuel back around the siphon hole. The other way is what we currently have on our car and that is a small pump in each side of the tank that feeds a surge tank and the main fuel pump. If you go that route, be sure to research hose that will work with fuels with ethanol in them. That little mistake on our part cost us two races with two cars.

We just unloaded ours from Sebring and I got my eyes on it for the first time. The front end is torn up pretty bad from the brake failure and subsequent off track excursion. The bottom of the core support must have taken a big hit and shoved it back an inch or so, pushing both front tires back in the wheel well, breaking the oil cooler, ripping the tension strut buckets, pulling the air meter off of the air intake tube and generally making a mess of way more stuff that I was originally thinking. Hopefully I have the time to get it ready for AMP because I really want to drive again.

You guys have any thoughts of running Daytona? I have always thought that our chop top slowed us down there so it would be interesting to see how the cars do side by side on the banks!

Oh, I think we were leading at the 11 hour mark with our Lexus, is that who got into you?

Edited by CutlassRacer

Thanks for all the great info. We have talked about a 2nd fuel pump in the passenger side sump along with a surge tank setup on the driver's side. Our primary mechanic is a Nissan tech (and Nissan-trained GT-R "master tech") who has been wrenching on Nissans for many, many years (we sort of feel it's maybe an unfair advantage, lol) and this is a setup he said he's had luck with in the past.

We're already talking about Daytona, so barring anything unforeseen will expect to be there. I would guess Road Atlanta, Daytona and a few trips to Sebring in '16. The rest of the year is pretty tight for several of us with other events (some of us just went to COTA with our regular track cars).

Yeah...that was your Lexus that got into us through T6. No harm, no foul and a few of our guys walked over to your trailer to make nice but nobody was there and we didn't see the car (heard it got towed off). We thought you were pitted further down (22/23?) but couldn't find you there either.

Here is the video...

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gek2HAJKUE4

S.

We originally built our car for Lemons and back then you could sell parts off of the car to add some room into the budget. The lexan that we used to cover the driving lights that we use gets us some extra points with Chumpcar, just like our oil pan, oil cooler, motor mounts, blah blah blah, lol. (if you have been on the forum long you may have seen my complaints about this part of the rules being a little silly in my opinion).

The engine has been really good in our car so far. I may buy another one if I decide to run the 38 at Homestead, if we do not run that one, I will just keep beating the one that is in there. Its getting a little smokey on start up, but seems to still run really well in spite of that.

There are a couple ways to "fix" the fuel system. One is to get a fuel pump bucket from a Neon, which has a really nice siphon feature in the bottom of it and it fills the bucket up when the siphon has fuel on it, then if you go around a corner and the fuel runs away from the siphon hole, you have about a quart of fuel to keep going until you can get fuel back around the siphon hole. The other way is what we currently have on our car and that is a small pump in each side of the tank that feeds a surge tank and the main fuel pump. If you go that route, be sure to research hose that will work with fuels with ethanol in them. That little mistake on our part cost us two races with two cars.

We just unloaded ours from Sebring and I got my eyes on it for the first time. The front end is torn up pretty bad from the brake failure and subsequent off track excursion. The bottom of the core support must have taken a big hit and shoved it back an inch or so, pushing both front tires back in the wheel well, breaking the oil cooler, ripping the tension strut buckets, pulling the air meter off of the air intake tube and generally making a mess of way more stuff that I was originally thinking. Hopefully I have the time to get it ready for AMP because I really want to drive again.

You guys have any thoughts of running Daytona? I have always thought that our chop top slowed us down there so it would be interesting to see how the cars do side by side on the banks!

Oh, I think we were leading at the 11 hour mark with our Lexus, is that who got into you?

Edited by Snorman

Actually, I just watched your video and I do not think that was our Lexus. Ours does not have holes in the back of the trunk lid. I think that was the #730, a car that people have had issues with quite a few times. I heard they were blowing through the end of pit road this year (heard that their transmission was stuck in 4th gear, but that is no excuse to blatantly break the rules and endanger the tech people at the end of pit road!).

• Like 1

Yeah, I see the holes in the deck lid. I apologize for any mistake regarding which car we mixed it up with out there. It sounds like it was the other Lexus. It was no biggie for us. Our guy pitted, we swapped on a new tire and pried the fender off of it and he was back on track so no problems on our part...we had a great weekend.  

We know the KSR Z32 out there is pretty quick, so hopefully we can follow your lead.

S.

Stop giving away neon secrets to different platforms. They chose their car.

;)

• Like 1