KSRD wreck on the first lap. Not sure if the parties want this posted or not, but we had a good video from the front row seat.  For information's sake:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSdUmXfF5ko

• Like 1

That is a very strange incident and from that view I couldn't blame the BMW at all. The Civic was nowhere near the apex or racing line in 8, 9 or 10 and while he had cars beside him in 8 and 9 he could have easily taken the proper line in 10 which would have kept the Bimmer behind him. The BMW driver could easily have thought the Civic was giving him lots of room to make a pass and it appears that the Civic has no idea the BMW is there and makes a slight move to the right (off the rumble strip) and is then turned around. The video leads me to ask; Was the Civic driver a first timer?

Richard- really? no blame on the BMW??  I hope you are never a race official.

Things to think about.....its October at mosport, cold track, cold tires, start of a 16 HOUR endurance race. Does the Civic need to be maximizing the rumble strip on the start?  Does the BMW need to do these aggressive passes before the start/finish?

This is why Chumpcar penalized the BMW- they saw the blame in their action. It was senseless contact that was totally avoidable if the passer was planning to race 16 hours.

BTW- take another look at the Civic making an adjustment to his turn in as he sees the BMW attempting the apex dive bomb pass...... I think he knew he was there- but never thought he would clip his rear end...

• Like 1

Richard- really? no blame on the BMW??  I hope you are never a race official.

Things to think about.....its October at mosport, cold track, cold tires, start of a 16 HOUR endurance race. Does the Civic need to be maximizing the rumble strip on the start?  Does the BMW need to do these aggressive passes before the start/finish?

This is why Chumpcar penalized the BMW- they saw the blame in their action. It was senseless contact that was totally avoidable if the passer was planning to race 16 hours.

BTW- take another look at the Civic making an adjustment to his turn in as he sees the BMW attempting the apex dive bomb pass...... I think he knew he was there- but never thought he would clip his rear end...

Fault or not, that was the very definition of avoidable contact. The BMW had 2 lanes to his right to give the civic more space.

• Like 2

As new drivers looking to learn something for the next race, was this contact our fault?  Obviously the squeeze after T3 was dumb, but what about T5, did we need to give him room there?

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIs7ARG4BDk 

I have no issue picking up an axle stand and slipping it under the car for wheel changes but the rule and the intention of the rule is about going under the car to work on it, not your hands breaking the plane of the wheel well opening. 

Speaking as a periodic pit nazi (not this weekend though) the problem is the marshal might not know why you're jacking up the car or even if it's obvious somebody might suddenly reach under the car to pull off trim/dirt, retrieve a lug nut etc.    Wendy/Sal have always preached the same message to marshals so as long as they're being consistent in their interpretation it's all good IMO.

That is a very strange incident and from that view I couldn't blame the BMW at all. The Civic was nowhere near the apex or racing line in 8, 9 or 10 and while he had cars beside him in 8 and 9 he could have easily taken the proper line in 10 which would have kept the Bimmer behind him. The BMW driver could easily have thought the Civic was giving him lots of room to make a pass and it appears that the Civic has no idea the BMW is there and makes a slight move to the right (off the rumble strip) and is then turned around. The video leads me to ask; Was the Civic driver a first timer?

Harsh criticisms there. It's a 16 hour race restart with no qualifying prior. No one knows anyone's pace. So fast cars can be behind, and slow cars can be in front. The E30 locked up going into 10. Our driver heard it, and saw him coming and gave him the corner. The E30 then tracked out into our car for seemingly no reason at all.

Officials called us up to the tower with our videos right after the wreck. We had a rear facing and front facing camera. It's much clearer on our onboard that our car didn't make a move to track back in. Our driver had finished tracking out and was driving straight along the track before the E30 made contact.

It was a hard lick for our guy who was hardly a first timer at all. He's passed the AISA race qualifications a number of times and has been at every Chump Car Canada race this year. He's started almost every race for us thus far. This was our first contact incident. Our whole team has always strived to bring our car back as it left the pits.

No one from the E30 team never dropped by to say a word.

Edited by Ziploc
  • Like 2

In the video from the Wheelhouse 626, it looks to me like the Honda initiates contact. The BMW gets pushed to the right as the Honda passes by. I'd love to see it from the other cars though.

The BMW definitely had no business dive-bombing the apex the previous corner, and should have left some room after that pass. Not exactly friendly racing at all.

Six years of ChumpCar racing (30+ events) this was a first with the jack stands while changing a tire. I get it if you're under the car.

Nice video from the 626.  That was me (red integra) on the right locking up the moment I saw smoke and lightly tapped KSRD's crushed Civic as it laid rest.  We wasted 2 perfectly good RS-3s with that emergency braking as they flat spotted...

I still recall an incident with No Budget's civic at Watkins, way less contact than that in T5, barely tapped him side by side, he spun, I didn't, I never got penalized either as we were side by side.

After the race a guy from No Budget came up to our team after the race at Watkins, brought his backup with him, and said "You want to play dirty, watch out, what goes around comes around".  Basically threatens us that there will be retribution because he believed we intentionally ran into him, hence "dirty".

Here is his team doing the exact same thing, even harder contact.  LOL.  Hey look at me I'm running top 5 everybody move outta the way!  SMACK...

Really like to thank SAL and WENDY and CHRIS for another awesome event, our Integra held together and finished the race, kinda...

If I had to choose something to rant, it would be the not enforced pit speeds as people were ripping it while I was standing there fueling.... WTF guys it's 3 seconds you save...

• Like 1

I'm not criticizing the Honda at all I'm merely stating that he was nowhere near the racing line in the previous two corners and had no intention of turning in to the apex in 10. I'll admit that the BMW could be accused of dive bombing the Neon behind the Civic (though the Neon clearly saw him coming and stayed to the left) but the Civic did not turn into the apex at all, he was clearly staying to the outside. His little correction only came when he saw the BMW in his mirror. From the camera's point of view the BMW did not turn in to the Civic.

Could the BMW have been less aggressive? Yes. Could the BMW have moved to his right ten feet? Yes. He was also far more guilty of dive bombing the 626 in nine than dive bombing in ten.

In regards to the 626/Civic contact that was entirely the Civic's fault. Coming out of three the 626 is obligated to stay to the outside because the BMW is on his right but because four is a left he is allowed to come over even though he shuts the door on the Civic (who clearly backed out). Whether the squeeze was intentional (and I don't think it was) the Civic driver now knows that 626 is not only a slower car but that the driver may not have seen him in his mirror. The Civic chose to go into a space that was already closing and hit the 626.

The weekend of team Cash is Good was the worst we ever had and it looks to be the same for lots of teams, but I'm so happy to see teams that don't give up. Lots of cars were in the paddocks on saturday night and made it to the pits on sunday morning. I'm talking about teams like SennaSational, M4L, Big Deal, IDFC, KSRD and many more. Lots of effort and backyard engineering, real chump.

• Like 4

Thanks to Wendy, Sal and the rest of their folks for putting on a great event this past weekend. This was my 6th Chump event and this one by far was the most enjoyable. My apologies for our Rabbit being a speed bump to most of you and we promise to bring something a bit quicker next year ;). We were able to finish in a VW which we usually consider a huge success but that little Rabbit is cooked.

Thanks to Wendy, Sal, Chris and all the marshals and staff for a great weekend...

I'd like to thank Rob with the Black Acura Integra for lending us the bulb to pass tech... Good thing you stopped us on the way off the track to get it back. Thank you.. We owe you one.

It was unfortunate we were the first casualty....  apparently of many throughout the day.

The car was done and not repairable 

Amidst all the drama we were all in good spirits and banded together.. scrambled back to Toronto to work on our second car... with probably a good few weeks worth of work till completion.. We were able to pull it off and fired it up around 4pm.

Best of all... we finished.... not without some miscalculation of fueling... umm... 3 times to be exact.. Haha. But we didn't care... We were 7hrs behind anyways... 

All and All... it was a great weekend. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

THANK YOU ALL... see you next year.

PS. I'd like to make a note... I was over by the BIG DEAL camp when one of the Tubby drivers came over to appologize to one of the drivers for tapping him during his stint... Hats off to you and much respect.

• Like 3

I'm so pumped for next year. I'm very glad I got to be a part of the first season of Chump Car Canada.

Edited by Ziploc

What a great weekend.A few hiccups but overall it was awesome.

1.Sorry to team KOKO.

Here is the video and sorry about the sound our go pro likes to go silent every so often.

Coming down turn 4 and into 5 I thought for sure I could squeeze by you.

This time I braked too hard and locked up and well you can see what happened. After I hit your door I had a vibration in the front and came into the pits where Chris asked if we had made contact. I assured him it was not you and was totally my fault.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9pGhx7L71Y&feature=youtu.be

2. One of my favorite battles of the day was with the number 570 E30. This car was extremely fast up the back straight. The only place I couldnt keep up with it which made for a great battle. Plenty of racing room given, Id love to see the in car of this from the 570 or even Koko when they were behind us.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qoeR19OLcE&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Rich

1.Sorry to team KOKO.

Here is the video and sorry about the sound our go pro likes to go silent every so often.

This time I braked too hard and locked up and well you can see what happened. After I hit your door I had a vibration in the front and came into the pits where Chris asked if we had made contact. I assured him it was not you and was totally my fault.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9pGhx7L71Y&feature=youtu.be

2. One of my favorite battles of the day was with the number 570 E30. This car was extremely fast up the back straight. The only place I couldnt keep up with it which made for a great battle. Plenty of racing room given, Id love to see the in car of this from the 570 or even Koko when they were behind us.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qoeR19OLcE&feature=youtu.be

I love what you did with your tach! I have (I think) the same one (on the same car), and was saying to meself "wtf do I do with numbers 6300-10000???" Well, you answered that question! Set it to read thinking it's a 4 cylinder and the engine cuts at a reading of 6250 x (6/4) = 9375

I got that Sport Comp tach from my buddy almost 20 years ago and he got it at a garage sale for $15. When we were building the car I figured we may as well try it. Installed it and noticed that we were idling at 2000+. Ran it at Bogie and the rev limiter didn't kick in until 10000+ so I figured we either had a very trick DME or the tach wasn't set right. Messed around with it Friday but couldn't get it to read properly so it is as you see. We shift between 9 and 10. On Sunday we weren't even getting in to 5th up the back straight.

I got that Sport Comp tach from my buddy almost 20 years ago and he got it at a garage sale for $15. When we were building the car I figured we may as well try it. Installed it and noticed that we were idling at 2000+. Ran it at Bogie and the rev limiter didn't kick in until 10000+ so I figured we either had a very trick DME or the tach wasn't set right. Messed around with it Friday but couldn't get it to read properly so it is as you see. We shift between 9 and 10. On Sunday we weren't even getting in to 5th up the back straight.

Wow that's even further off than I thought! At least on mine you can adjust the expected Pulses Per Revolution, and based on that it converts the coil pulse signal to an RPM output. I haven't done it in a while, but I think ours is adjusted by holding the big middle button on startup, it will read 1000, 2000, 3000, etc. where 1000 = 1 ppr, 2000 = 2 ppr, etc. etc. for the m20b25, the setting would be 3000 or, 3 PPR. (IIRC)

I'm going to play around with ours at the RA test day on Friday and see if I like the 9000+ shift light !

• Like 1

1.Sorry to team KOKO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9pGhx7L71Y&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qoeR19OLcE&feature=youtu.be

As new drivers looking to learn something for the next race, was this contact our fault?  Obviously the squeeze after T3 was dumb, but what about T5, did we need to give him room there?

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIs7ARG4BDk 

In this instance, I put no blame on you guys, you are driving your line. The only way that pass works by the civic is if you give them the corner.

• Like 1

The civic tried to dive bomb into a corner too late. If wheelhouse was wide I can see the opportunity, but clearly he was running his line.