AMP Double 7's Results

DuncanDana

Thanks to everyone involved it was a great race for Team Catvalier - 615 , after blowing our engine a few hours in at NCM in 2014 we were happy to finish this race with no mechanical issues or off courses, some 630 miles of track time.

Hopefully we stayed out of the way of everyone but we were happy to finish mid pack with what was likely the slowest average speed car to run the whole time.

Maybe next time we will be a few mph faster and keep up.

12145311_542612082559990_1774279664_n.jp

• Like 5

A friend and myself attended the race both days. The track seemed to be pretty tight in the corners. We were both impressed with the car control through the entire event. Great racing both days. Met a lot of nice people. We will be racing chump next year and look forward to meeting more of the Chump racing family. We met the guys from the 257 team and they had a lot of nice things to say about the central division drivers. Looking forward to next year!

• Like 1

It was a really good weekend for us, oh but what it could have been…

We had our first podium for 5th overall and first class B win on Saturday. That was in spite of a black flag for being over the noise limit, we came in and I stuffed chicken wire into the outlet of the muffler and sent the car back out but we lost 4-5 laps, we finished 6 laps down from the winners. We were able to make up some of the lost laps with some good racecraft by making our final pit stop during a long and very slow yellow about an hour and a half from the end. It got exciting in that last stint since we were right with the Red Rooster E30, my driver was able to pull away then had an off in turn 1 and they closed right back up but he was able to pull back away and secure 5th overall. After the race I pulled the muffler off and packed it full with chicken wire to try to keep it below the noise threshold.

Sunday we had the pace for another good finish but it was not to be. On our first stint the headset came unplugged and the driver missed the call into the pits and ended up running out of fuel, which cost us a lot of time. Then with an hour and a half to go we got black flagged again for noise, this time it would have meant pulling the screaming hot muffler off and repacking it with chicken wire again and since a high finish was out of the question already we loaded up.

It was a great race, I had lots of concern going into this race because of the carnage from last year’s AMP race, that and getting taken out by a dive-bomber at the VIR 24hr seriously had me considering dropping ChumpCar and only focusing on other series. But I am much happier with how this race went, I did have to repair the front end aero Saturday night but that was from my own driver, and the driver of the car he hit ended up coming and apologizing, said he had fuel pickup problem and the car bogged down coming out of 1. So great marks to all the drivers and teams for running on a tight and twisty track in some pretty difficult conditions and keeping it clean.

IMG_20151031_083019_zpsq1zmb29w.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks everyone for putting up with us in car 53 (rattle-can gray Miata).  Only our second race as a team and the first with that car.  I hope we managed to stay out of the way more often than not.  We were super happy that, as a team full of rookies, we managed to make the whole 14 hours without tearing up anything.  Everyone we met was awesome, as well.

The car itself worked almost flawlessly.  Other than a plug wire wiggling loose and third gear getting a little chunky, it was solid mechanically.  We'll need to find some grip before next time, though.  I think all the waving-by wore out my arms more than the driving did  :)

We had a blast in the rain and all of our guys got some experience with the track.   Hope to be working at Road Atlanta in Feb (won't have much time to work on the car between now and then), so we'll see you all again then.

12196314_10154338597134488_2547638115831

Edited by Zedrick99
  • Like 6

Zedrick99 and ElCamino Kid: Welcome to Chumpcar, and congratulations on completing the weekend with such success! I've driven in a lot of endurance races and was driving one of the faster cars this weekend and want to commend both of teams for showing an amazing amount of awareness and track etiquette. Whenever I approached your cars I was given room to pass cleanly and safely. I look forward to seeing you on track again soon.your 

Edited by revvhappy
  • Like 6

Brick House Racing had an amazing weekend.  Saturday we had a clean race and good pit stops and ended up 8th overall.  

Sunday turned out to be our day!  I was dreading the rain but we set the car up for wet conditions and it worked out well.  Walter lead off and quickly moved into the top 3, Fred came next and did a great job (1st time in the car in the rain), I went next and didn't screw up too badly, which left it to are resident ringer Johnnie to bring the car home to a 1st place finish (our first podium finish).  It was a nail bitter with at least three cars fighting for the win in the last 30 minutes. In the end, the Racing Gods took favor on us and we finished 1.9 seconds ahead.

We had a blast racing multiple cars on both days and the driving on everyone's part was very good.  I really enjoyed the bench racing after the fact with several teams.

A big thanks to the the ChumpCar Eastern Region staff for another outstanding race.  You guys make the series awesome.

• Like 11

Brick House Racing had an amazing weekend. Saturday we had a clean race and good pit stops and ended up 8th overall.

Sunday turned out to be our day! I was dreading the rain but we set the car up for wet conditions and it worked out well. Walter lead off and quickly moved into the top 3, Fred came next and did a great job (1st time in the car in the rain), I went next and didn't screw up too badly, which left it to are resident ringer Johnnie to bring the car home to a 1st place finish (our first podium finish). It was a nail bitter with at least three cars fighting for the win in the last 30 minutes. In the end, the Racing Gods took favor on us and we finished 1.9 seconds ahead.

We had a blast racing multiple cars on both days and the driving on everyone's part was very good. I really enjoyed the bench racing after the fact with several teams.

A big thanks to the the ChumpCar Eastern Region staff for another outstanding race. You guys make the series awesome.

Congratulations Warren. Ya'll have worked for it. We were pitted next to you at Daytona way back when.... ;) ya'll have come a long way....

If anyone knows the 633 BMW, I like to tell them sorry for the contact after they started spinning at the top of the hill, I tried finding them after the race, but I couldn't locate them.

I don't believe there was ANYTHING you could have done differently. I got stuck behind them for 10+ laps as they created a longer and longer train. I was tailing back(can right behind you) for 2-3 laps before that happened. They were blocking. They were pinching people down. They would slam the door in brake zones, check you up, and then accelerate down the straight. Or slam the door, drift out of the corner, go across the track, block you and then pinch you off in the next brake zone.

I have video of Hong North on the inside of the last big sweeper as is moving up to pass and the BMW just slides over to run them off the track.

They were eventually black flagged for all of this...

• Like 2

If anyone knows the 633 BMW, I like to tell them sorry for the contact after they started spinning at the top of the hill, I tried finding them after the race, but I couldn't locate them.

I don't believe there was ANYTHING you could have done differently. I got stuck behind them for 10+ laps as they created a longer and longer train. I was tailing back(can right behind you) for 2-3 laps before that happened. They were blocking. They were pinching people down. They would slam the door in brake zones, check you up, and then accelerate down the straight. Or slam the door, drift out of the corner, go across the track, block you and then pinch you off in the next brake zone.

I have video of Hong North on the inside of the last big sweeper as is moving up to pass and the BMW just slides over to run them off the track.

Yeah, the whole incident started because I felt like they were trying to race me, so I was trying to just pick them off when I could because at that point it was raining and I was chasing down the 461 or whoever was leading B at the time...  anyway, we climb the hill, I looked under them but was in no way there and he just sailed it off in there and lost it and came across the my nose... 

Thanks everyone for putting up with us in car 53 (rattle-can gray Miata).  Only our second race as a team and the first with that car.  I hope we managed to stay out of the way more often than not.  We were super happy that, as a team full of rookies, we managed to make the whole 14 hours without tearing up anything.  Everyone we met was awesome, as well.

The car itself worked almost flawlessly.  Other than a plug wire wiggling loose and third gear getting a little chunky, it was solid mechanically.  We'll need to find some grip before next time, though.  I think all the waving-by wore out my arms more than the driving did  :)

We had a blast in the rain and all of our guys got some experience with the track.   Hope to be working at Road Atlanta in Feb (won't have much time to work on the car between now and then), so we'll see you all again then.

12196314_10154338597134488_2547638115831

Great Job guys...   3 years or so ago...  we were a team just hoping to finish half a 14 hour race, and we have been running at like 15 out of 16 so...  keep it up...

• Like 1

Yeah, the whole incident started because I felt like they were trying to race me, so I was trying to just pick them off when I could because at that point it was raining and I was chasing down the 461 or whoever was leading B at the time...  anyway, we climb the hill, I looked under them but was in no way there and he just sailed it off in there and lost it and came across the my nose... 

They were racing everyone. Cars coming through racing for the overall win and they were chopping them down.

I wouldn't mind seeing this if you would share. I can send you my contact info. 

Edited by revvhappy

Wem were in the 944 Porsche #918 and I have to say that overall it was great racing with everyone.  Except for the person who took us out between turn 8 and 9 at around 10:45 AM on Sunday morming we had no issues with anyone excepting some minor bumping and that person came over to say he was sorry for what was, basically a racing indicent as we had been trading positions for over a dozen laps.  Lot's of very close side by side racing, especially through 1.  

Does anyone know who took out the # 918 what a bad deal such nice guys

Thanks for the compliment. We would love to see video of what happened, not to place blame, but to learn about how maybe next time we might be able to avoid the punting into the wall. We finished 7th on Saturday with 2/3 drivers never driving here. Thought we had a good chance of a top 5 for Sunday. Who ever drove your wagon for the first stint on Saturday did a fantastic job, he had that thing rotating around corners like a pro.

Ron H.

918 team owner.

Does anyone know who took out the # 918 what a bad deal such nice guys

Thanks for the compliment. We would love to see video of what happened, not to place blame, but to learn about how maybe next time we might be able to avoid the punting into the wall. We finished 7th on Saturday with 2/3 drivers never driving here. Thought we had a good chance of a top 5 for Sunday. Who ever drove your wagon for the first stint on Saturday did a fantastic job, he had that thing rotating around corners like a pro.

Ron H.

918 team owner.

I was in the silver rx7 when you guys had contact...   you guys were passing me on the left and the momo miata decided to pass you guys on the left late into that turn...   

I'm not sure if the miata was expecting you guys to move right after your car cleared mine or what, he said he felt like the Porsche didn't give him room, but I was watching it all out the corner of my eye and felt like that your car had pretty much stood its ground....  after the contact I also gave the car a little nudge, simply cause I wasn't expecting a massive pileup in a straight section...  (if we can call that part straight).. hated to see that for both cars, sorry it ended your day...   I didn't have any cameras rolling but would have had a great view of it for sure...