West Region Chumpionship - Official results thread

Mikiel

Here are the Official Results, direct from Alex Guzenski. I'm copying his post below. Thanks for getting this up, Alex!

Hello Chumps,

Excellent racing this last weekend. Thank you to all who participated and supported us in this event and 2015 season. We hope to see you in 2016!

Here are the MyLaps race results for the 2015 Chumpionship race at Laguna Seca:

http://www.mylaps.com/en/events/1226557

Results for download:

Lap Times: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3sE_eBHunfsYi12NUdtRVBuSGc/view?usp=sharing

Results: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3sE_eBHunfsbXVGczJreFJrdm8/view?usp=sharing

Check SilverFern, one of their drivers must have been a bracket racer! Over 10% of their laps at exactly 2:00.001, and quite a few in a row!

And they didn't get credit for their 1:29.000 or 1:45.001 ... makes me wonder about that 1:47.153 that was four seconds faster than their next fastest and six seconds faster than the next one after that!

8 minutes ago, mender said:

Check SilverFern, one of their drivers must have been a bracket racer! Over 10% of their laps at exactly 2:00.001, and quite a few in a row!

And they didn't get credit for their 1:29.000 or 1:45.001 ... makes me wonder about that 1:47.153 that was four seconds faster than their next fastest and six seconds faster than the next one after that!

We had that issue at VIR south, we ran the fastest lap time by about 10 seconds or so... not..

• Like 1

The Schumacher Taxi Service had fun despite losing a clutch partway into Saturday and spending 3.5 hours replacing it.  We were renamed Shoemaker in the standings for some reason too.  Anyway, good, clean racing, super fun track, and I enjoyed and was envious watching the Miatas flying around the track.  Makes me want to bring ours out next year!  Does anyone know if it's full already?

Thanks for hosting us, and thanks to two of my teammates who will do 45 hours of driving each way to make this possible.  It's only 19 from Denver (south route) so i may do that in '16. :)

Wow - What a blast last weekend was and always enjoyable to have great racing & good conversations with fellow racers all weekend long.  I had the opportunity to drive with my regular team (Son Of Andre) and a long time friend's team (Alpaca Racing).  This was my first trip to Laguna and it was well worth it... plus I got to drive two cars!

I will save the SoA discussion for the team captain (and i expect a good video of our driving as usual).   I will say I enjoyed passing the 400SX/Team McQueen during my stint on Sunday & we had a good time chasing each other around for over an hour.  

Anyhow... enjoy the video of the civic.  I had to utilize it's biggest strength (brakes) since it was one of the slowest HP cars last weekend.  I did manage a 1:56 which was pretty decent for the car.. and I received a few "birds" from some of the drivers who didn't appreciate my late braking.

Alpaca Racing - Passing highlights.

• Like 2

Sorry to come at you strong here, but pretty sure i was one of those saying hi to you...that you admit that more than one driver "didn't appreciate" you late braking should give you some insight into what you were doing out there...it's what i call the bigger a?? theory of racing, the one who dive bombs off the racing line or the one on the racing line who takes him out.  Your pass on the inside of the corkscrew at 2:26 is pretty suspect and likely a repeated reason for you getting all the waves. 

The weekend was a blast though save for a few of these minor incidents, though one just like this was the reason for the crash on the front straight. 

Mike- nice driving. It's a race not a wait. I think I would have pulled most of those moves, too. I wouldn't call those passes where you've already offset your car a lane over from the car ahead and telegraphed your intention to pass dive bombing. I think dive bombing is staying right on a competitor's bumper, then diving out of line and bombing the car in past them. 

• Like 1

At first watching the video I thought there were some dive bombs, but you're driving a Miata.  Bimmer drivers (like us at this race) can wait for the straights to make passes, but Miatas MUST pass in the twisty stuff.  So I thought your driving was fine and understand.  Looked like fun, hopefully we can run our Miata out there sometime...

Completely disagree...it's the responsibility of the passing car to make a safe pass...it's the "intent" of the BMW to follow the racing line to the inside corner...that Mike was "telegraphing" his intent to make an unsafe pass doesn't make it a safe pass.  He was well behind the BMW at the end of the braking zone...BMW was already turning in.

Like I said before, if this were just one incident, chalk it up to overly-agressive driving and one bad decision, but Mike even admits more than a couple of racers took exception.

@socaljam What car do you drive?  I think some of mikes passes were aggressive but they really were no worse than I would in my Miata.  Like Ben Dawson says, and I agree, dive bombing is pulling out late and stuffing it in there.  If a BMW, Mustang etc leaves the door wide open into a deep braking zone, its mine!  

• Like 1

It seems like every race I attend I get involved in some lively battle for position. This time I got to witness one. A battle for 3rd place that lasted 38 minutes. Four laps into my Sunday stint I was passed by Kevin in the Flyin' Hawaiians' Datsun, running in 3rd place. A lap later Jamie went through in Miata PI's car in fourth position, and the fight for 3rd was on!

I was still getting up to speed at first and sometimes they're a bit down the road, but eventually I catch up and you can see some really good racing going on in front of me. Don't watch my horrible driving. Watch Kevin and Jamie fight for the third place trophy like it's made out of Tire Rack gift certificates. The Miata was faster in the curvy parts, despite having a bent front suspension, and the Datsun was quicker whenever the track called for torque. Two wide through the corkscrew multiple times. Inside passes. Outside passes. Defensive lines in every corner. Kevin used lapped traffic whenever he could to get some breathing room but Jamie was having none of it. And every time they were side by side I could see them giving each other a thumbs up and having a great time. I was having a ton of fun following them, trying to stay the hell out of the way, and praying to the racing gods that my cameras were getting all of the action. At one point I nearly took myself out exiting 4, but the racing gods decided to give me a pass. I guess they felt bad about splitting my muffler open and costing us two hours in the pits to chump it back together with a welder and some hose clamps, and in the end we had the video!

Sunday evening we somehow squeezed my team, the Flyin Hawaiians, and Miata PI into my trailer to watch the footage together on the TV. There was so much yelling and cheering and laughing you'd think we were watching a live race and not something we had just participated in a few hours ago. Gentlemen, thank you for the many memories, beers, and the most fun I've ever had in a race car!

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, socaljam said:

He was well behind the BMW at the end of the braking zone...BMW was already turning in.

The braking zone ends at the turn-in point,  Mike was along side.    My only beef with that pass was that he didn't leave the BMW room on the outside after he turned in.  I made a ton of passes in that spot and several were that late, but I left room for someone to take the 8b apex, except for the one time my ABS decided to go into ice mode.   My apologies to whomever received that slide job, it certainly wasn't my intent.

Great video, Mikiel.

That's what is fun about CCWS, running with matched cars in these 20-30 minute battles. We had similar experiences with both Miata PI and the Hawaiians at Fontana.

Great, close racing going back and forth, usually with Miata PI winning the battle in the end.

Glad that you fixed your engine problems for Laguna :)

Maybe see you at the Buttonwillow 24 in April B)

• Like 2

The fact that an 87 924,  89?Rx7,  94 Miata, and ~76? Datsun 260 can battle as closely as we do is insanity and awesome!  Youre 100% right Keith!  Thats why I dont understand why even build a car you know will dominate...  We've noticed slower teams now pointing us by every time we come close.  Thats great, but I am not there to do a track day, I want to battle!!! make me earn it!  Its what I love about the miata too, we cant pull anyone on the straights, have to work for it on the backside!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, KDJones2000 said:

Great video, Mikiel.

That's what is fun about CCWS, running with matched cars in these 20-30 minute battles. We had similar experiences with both Miata PI and the Hawaiians at Fontana.

Great, close racing going back and forth, usually with Miata PI winning the battle in the end.

Glad that you fixed your engine problems for Laguna :)

Maybe see you at the Buttonwillow 24 in April B)

Keith, we're already signed up for Buttonwillow. Can't wait to race against you guys again!

2 hours ago, Mikiel said:

It seems like every race I attend I get involved in some lively battle for position. This time I got to witness one. A battle for 3rd place that lasted 38 minutes. Four laps into my Sunday stint I was passed by Kevin in the Flyin' Hawaiians' Datsun, running in 3rd place. A lap later Jamie went through in Miata PI's car in fourth position, and the fight for 3rd was on!

I was still getting up to speed at first and sometimes they're a bit down the road, but eventually I catch up and you can see some really good racing going on in front of me. Don't watch my horrible driving. Watch Kevin and Jamie fight for the third place trophy like it's made out of Tire Rack gift certificates. The Miata was faster in the curvy parts, despite having a bent front suspension, and the Datsun was quicker whenever the track called for torque. Two wide through the corkscrew multiple times. Inside passes. Outside passes. Defensive lines in every corner. Kevin used lapped traffic whenever he could to get some breathing room but Jamie was having none of it. And every time they were side by side I could see them giving each other a thumbs up and having a great time. I was having a ton of fun following them, trying to stay the hell out of the way, and praying to the racing gods that my cameras were getting all of the action. At one point I nearly took myself out exiting 4, but the racing gods decided to give me a pass. I guess they felt bad about splitting my muffler open and costing us two hours in the pits to chump it back together with a welder and some hose clamps, and in the end we had the video!

Sunday evening we somehow squeezed my team, the Flyin Hawaiians, and Miata PI into my trailer to watch the footage together on the TV. There was so much yelling and cheering and laughing you'd think we were watching a live race and not something we had just participated in a few hours ago. Gentlemen, thank you for the many memories, beers, and the most fun I've ever had in a race car!

Thanks for posting and capturing this Mikiel. It was really fun to battle with Kevin in his Datsun. I had a similar battle with team Bill Strong on Saturday at 1pm. Would love to see that as well. I know he has two rear facing cameras because i was close enough that i could touch them. 

Edited by cafifty
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Miata, PI said:

The fact that an 87 924,  89?Rx7,  94 Miata, and ~76? Datsun 260 can battle as closely as we do is insanity and awesome!  Youre 100% right Keith!  Thats why I dont understand why even build a car you know will dominate...  We've noticed slower teams now pointing us by every time we come close.  Thats great, but I am not there to do a track day, I want to battle!!! make me earn it!  Its what I love about the miata too, we cant pull anyone on the straights, have to work for it on the backside!

It is fun to win but the battle is more fun.  When we were at Laguna in July I had great battles with 5150 and Trunk Monkeys.  

Fun weekend!

Not sure if this is the place, but, here's how our weekend went:

The B-Team "Just Plain Stupid" Chevy powered Lotus Elite (aka "Chotus") lived up to it's namesake - Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious.

We had a legion's worth of work to do to prep for this race.  That combined with conflicting work/travel schedules amongst our team meant the Chotus didn't get off jack stands until Thursday before the race.  Because of this, we didn't realize that our transmission testing was for not -- the lack of resistance meant we didn't notice that the clutch wasn't working (it would shift through all gears while in the air).

Starting Friday, we worked through everything from the pedal box to the bell housing to get the mechanical clutch working - making a few new parts along the way.  Alas, nothing worked, so 15 minutes before race end on Saturday, we decided to go without a clutch -- which meant a shift from 1st to 4th after leaving the pits, and a stall out in 4th when stopping back in the pits.  For reasons not worth explaining, you couldn't even treat it like a crash box and shift when revs were matched...  Just 4th gear all the time.  We did one (!) lap on Saturday and a 110 or so on Sunday.

Sunday's racing was going well - we even managed to eek into the 1:54s with our one working gear, but had a lower a-arm mount on the front suspension fail just as soon as our driver hit the brakes going into 2 (over 100 mph (!)).  He did a 180 in about 0.1 seconds, but luckily caused no other problems with the car or anyone else on track.  Replacing the mount was actually a quick fix, but an inspection showed the other side was fatigued in the same place.  This was at around 3pm on Sunday, so we decided to pack it in at that point & make a plan for re-engineering.

Problems aside, we had another excellent time at Chump.  While our first Chump race was in January, 2010 (back when we ran the A-Team liveried E30 which later turned into the Püssy Wagën), this was only our 4th Chump race.  We always have a blast at Chump and appreciate the size of the field & level of driving on track.  

You may be seeing more of us next year. :)

12294638_10153483816004877_8913445175444675206_n.jpg

12314433_10153487785219877_2023504546433180339_o.jpg

• Like 3

@BrianK - No this is the kind of post we love. The hard work; the heartbreak; the pride; the camaraderie of those who struggle to keep 20, 25, 30 year old cars running for hours.... and then maybe if we are lucky, we get to race too! 

Thanks for the post.