West Region Chumpionship - Official results thread

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's because our wives, kids, co-workers, distant relatives, that cute girl you talk to at the coffee shop have asked us to stop talking about our racing. We have no other outlet.

Thank you everyone for the Great Weekend! We brought 7 drivers to share the travel expense and none of us had ever driven Laguna (except on Xbox and PlayStation). We all were impressed with the t

My take on the East vs. West.   ChumpCar organization... East... Mike returns emails very quickly with answers. West... What are emails? Pre-race organization East se

On December 8, 2015 at 12:57:53 PM, mender said:

Check SilverFern, one of their drivers must have been a bracket racer! Over 10% of their laps at exactly 2:00.001, and quite a few in a row!

And they didn't get credit for their 1:29.000 or 1:45.001 ... makes me wonder about that 1:47.153 that was four seconds faster than their next fastest and six seconds faster than the next one after that!

I suspect that was a failed transponder.  They used the last lap of 1:56, just put in nine laps at 2:00 as a placeholder, then readjusted the next two laps of 1:45 and 1:29 to make up the difference between 2:00 and the last known of 1:56 for the required number of laps.   

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Mikiel said:

It seems like every race I attend I get involved in some lively battle for position. This time I got to witness one. A battle for 3rd place that lasted 38 minutes. Four laps into my Sunday stint I was passed by Kevin in the Flyin' Hawaiians' Datsun, running in 3rd place. A lap later Jamie went through in Miata PI's car in fourth position, and the fight for 3rd was on!

I was still getting up to speed at first and sometimes they're a bit down the road, but eventually I catch up and you can see some really good racing going on in front of me. Don't watch my horrible driving. Watch Kevin and Jamie fight for the third place trophy like it's made out of Tire Rack gift certificates. The Miata was faster in the curvy parts, despite having a bent front suspension, and the Datsun was quicker whenever the track called for torque. Two wide through the corkscrew multiple times. Inside passes. Outside passes. Defensive lines in every corner. Kevin used lapped traffic whenever he could to get some breathing room but Jamie was having none of it. And every time they were side by side I could see them giving each other a thumbs up and having a great time. I was having a ton of fun following them, trying to stay the hell out of the way, and praying to the racing gods that my cameras were getting all of the action. At one point I nearly took myself out exiting 4, but the racing gods decided to give me a pass. I guess they felt bad about splitting my muffler open and costing us two hours in the pits to chump it back together with a welder and some hose clamps, and in the end we had the video!

Sunday evening we somehow squeezed my team, the Flyin Hawaiians, and Miata PI into my trailer to watch the footage together on the TV. There was so much yelling and cheering and laughing you'd think we were watching a live race and not something we had just participated in a few hours ago. Gentlemen, thank you for the many memories, beers, and the most fun I've ever had in a race car!

Awesome battle guys.  Way to respect each other, your fellow racers, and the boundaries of the track.  Wish I could have been a part of it and looking forward to next year.

• Like 1
On 12/8/2015, 1:51:20, Wendell34 said:

Looking for video of Red BMW convertible 707 crashing on front stretch. Thanks.

Here's the video from onboard the other car: 

https://youtu.be/YJ_WE-MP6HM

Sorry to hear that's the end for that car, it's never a good way to end a race weekend. Like I said when we chatted at the track, as soon as I realized the driver didn't see me I tried to get out of it, but at that point it was too late.

Edited by RArienzale
27 minutes ago, RArienzale said:

Sorry to hear that's the end for that car, it's never a good way to end a race weekend. Like I said when we chatted at the track, as soon as I realized the driver didn't see me I tried to get out of it, but at that point it was too late.

Needs a side view mirror. But should have seen you in the rear view after coming out of turn 11.

15 hours ago, socaljam said:

Sorry to come at you strong here, but pretty sure i was one of those saying hi to you...that you admit that more than one driver "didn't appreciate" you late braking should give you some insight into what you were doing out there...it's what i call the bigger a?? theory of racing, the one who dive bombs off the racing line or the one on the racing line who takes him out.  Your pass on the inside of the corkscrew at 2:26 is pretty suspect and likely a repeated reason for you getting all the waves. 

The weekend was a blast though save for a few of these minor incidents, though one just like this was the reason for the crash on the front straight. 

Hey - no problem here man.. i can take feedback and opinions. I can understand why some might view the 2:26 as a bit on the edge, but one of the reasons it looked closer than it should have was me locking up the brakes.  This caused me to push thru the turn and cut him off (leaving him no room in 8b).  That was not intentional (hence all the wheel input i have just as they lock-up trying to move further left), but part of racing clean is controlling your car at all times so I'll take that as a mistake on my part.

I didn't have contact with anyone last weekend in either stint I drove aside from the very first turn of the first green flag lap. I was hit by the TDI Jetta lightly on the front fender just past apex.  I just have a ton of seat time (6 full seasons racing either a 944, E30 or E46 in sprint racing in PNW) and tend to drive aggressive. 

Thanks for the compliments from the others...

Also -If you are one that likes what you see.  I'm always available to drive with any team if they want to get faster. I bring Data & Video along and can coach any skill level drivers towards some type of improvement (just ask my Alpaca buddies what they learned in one stint from me).  Just private message me to talk more and I would love to help get any team faster in exchange for seat time. :D

• Like 1

Just got home.

Awesome track!!! Hell of a lot more elevation change than i thought it would be.

I brought 7 drivers and two crew. We came to have fun. And boy did we. 

Despite the 1 hour 20 minute stints to fit all the drivers into the rotation, the lack of being able to walk or see most of the track before racing on it, we still managed a 2nd in class and 11th overall. 

I had no clue how to set the car up for this track. So i did a generic alignment. That was wrong. We gathered a lot of data so that next time I will get it right.

We got hit by a sound violation, which sucked because we were ine of the quietist cars out there. I hammered the pipes to aim left and we never got called again. Even when the b pipe flange came apart. Just shows how we got mistaken for another car. But no biggy.

The mufflers really hurt out top end power. She was so flat up top. 

And the track was so slippery. I brought used tires just to get rid of them. Everyone of them is flat spotted. Lol. We even wore one tire down through 2,sets of cords. 

I personally never really got to race anyone. Though the highlight of my weekend was drag racing the white fox body and beating him to the bridge and turn 2. That was a blast. 

It was great to finally meet a lot of you west coasters. Most of you look prettier on the Internet though.  

We had a blast helping the two man team that beat us in class and for 10th place.  Good guys that were nuts to race at this track with 2. 

Had a blast hanging out with the Tesla guys. They were awesome. I love how those guys think. And the porsche is awesome.

We will be back. Now that we have good setup data and will be ready to compete.

• Like 5
11 hours ago, MikeA said:

Hey - no problem here man.. i can take feedback and opinions. I can understand why some might view the 2:26 as a bit on the edge, but one of the reasons it looked closer than it should have was me locking up the brakes.  This caused me to push thru the turn and cut him off (leaving him no room in 8b).  That was not intentional (hence all the wheel input i have just as they lock-up trying to move further left), but part of racing clean is controlling your car at all times so I'll take that as a mistake on my part.

MIke, i appreciate your honesty and response, but I think you underscored the point i was trying to raise.  I posted originally not necessarily to call Mike out( and apologize for any offense), but to understand what, in Chumpcar, qualifies as a clean pass...it was clear to me that this particular one didn't.  

We all make mistakes out there and I would have thought there would more uniform opinion on what happened in the corkscrew.  I have no issues with anyone driving aggressively, as we do ourselves, but any car passing in the braking zone off the racing line that doesn't get in front (I'll accept that various definitions apply, but it seems to me you were well behind the BMW before he turned in), having to lock your brakes, checking the BMW is not a clean pass.  The driving passing is responsible for controlling his car and if the car is locked up, you lose any right you had to the corner.  Had you been hit by the BMW, most racing orgs (keeping my lips sealed about SpecMiata) that I'm aware of would have called this out.

That all being said, 99.99% of this and other races we've been a part of in Chumpcar have been a blast and we're looking forward to more fun in 2016.

jam

Edited by socaljam
12 hours ago, RArienzale said:

How's that Mychon working out for you?  I picked one up last year.  Loved the one I had on my kart.

1 hour ago, socaljam said:

MIke, i appreciate your honesty and response, but I think you underscored the point i was trying to raise.  I posted originally not necessarily to call Mike out( and apologize for any offense), but to understand what, in Chumpcar, qualifies as a clean pass...it was clear to me that this particular one didn't.  

We all make mistakes out there and I would have thought there would more uniform opinion on what happened in the corkscrew.  I have no issues with anyone driving aggressively, as we do ourselves, but any car passing in the braking zone off the racing line that doesn't get in front (I'll accept that various definitions apply, but it seems to me you were well behind the BMW before he turned in), having to lock your brakes, checking the BMW is not a clean pass.  The driving passing is responsible for controlling his car and if the car is locked up, you lose any right you had to the corner.  Had you been hit by the BMW, most racing orgs (keeping my lips sealed about SpecMiata) that I'm aware of would have called this out.

That all being said, 99.99% of this and other races we've been a part of in Chumpcar have been a blast and we're looking forward to more fun in 2016.

jam

I make many passes that look a lot like like Mikes on corner entry, we both have cars that are good on the brakes, but the big difference is that I leave a car width of room on exit.  Mike came all the way across the track on most of those passes.  I've had 5-6 people come find me after a stint just to say thanks for leaving room.  Sounds like Mike already knows what the other drivers think of him.

56 minutes ago, cshay said:

I make many passes that look a lot like like Mikes on corner entry, we both have cars that are good on the brakes, but the big difference is that I leave a car width of room on exit.  Mike came all the way across the track on most of those passes.  I've had 5-6 people come find me after a stint just to say thanks for leaving room.  Sounds like Mike already knows what the other drivers think of him.

+1

we've been flagged for agressive driving but have had zero contact in the past few years. It's the life of a low horsepower car. You HAVE to keep momentum. Wish we had the luxury of just nailing the throttle down the straights  and passing everyone. Anyone can make an easy pass in a straight line. 

btw our car makes 125whp max and our win ratio is above 50% for the pasyt 2 years. not bragging just saying different strokes for different cars. no need to hate. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, jmabarone said:

How's that Mychon working out for you?  I picked one up last year.  Loved the one I had on my kart.

It's actually an EVO3 logger (mounted where the centre console used to be) attached to an external display. It's great in that we have large, foolproof warning and shift lights, as well as backlighting for night races. The AIM analysis software is pretty poor from a driver development perspective, but it's nice to be able to check max values on the sensors to make sure nobody has overreved the engine, water and oil temps remained under control, etc. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, RArienzale said:

It's actually an EVO3 logger (mounted where the centre console used to be) attached to an external display. It's great in that we have large, foolproof warning and shift lights, as well as backlighting for night races. The AIM analysis software is pretty poor from a driver development perspective, but it's nice to be able to check max values on the sensors to make sure nobody has overreved the engine, water and oil temps remained under control, etc. 

Copy that.  I've got an older XG Log.  Someone told me that I'd hate the smaller screen, but I'm a fan of warning lights rather than numbers for the driver.

14 minutes ago, Frylock said:

+1

we've been flagged for agressive driving but have had zero contact in the past few years. It's the life of a low horsepower car. You HAVE to keep momentum. Wish we had the luxury of just nailing the throttle down the straights  and passing everyone. Anyone can make an easy pass in a straight line. 

btw our car makes 125whp max and our win ratio is above 50% for the pasyt 2 years. not bragging just saying different strokes for different cars. no need to hate. 

another +1...it took us a few races to learn the limits of our car to know where we could push and where we needed to back off....MOST of those passes look like how we race...we focus our build on braking and handling...we know what we are capable of and once we get a feel for our fellow racers we know we can make passes like this safely...nobody has told us different...maybe people are keeping to themselves...did 3 days at Laguna and almost all of our passing was on corner entry or exit...we don't have the power on the straights...nobody said peep....we did try our best to hold the inside or outside of whatever corner we were in so we didn't wash into anyones line

Just now, The Wankels said:

Bring Bill, he can give the west another lesson on how to be competitive.  

hahaha  

I was watching those Miatas flying around and that looked like a blast!  I hope our old beater can keep up!   I live in Denver now so the tow will be cut in half compared to this year.  

Hard to believe that anyone would drive across the country and hardly try. ;)

If you were at the Central Chumpionship and were the same distance off the lead you would have been 16th of 67, almost exactly the same as 11th of 45 - but who's counting? :)

• Like 3
15 hours ago, RArienzale said:

Thanks for posting.

We did not want to poop on their parade. It was best to just let the 240sux do that. We had a blast just puttering around the track. 

Mind you, we did some 1:50s and the car has some 1.47s in it with new tires and a correct alignment.

so I lost one second on turn 11. 

I saw a 1:50.032 all the way down the straight, but at the start finish I ended with a 1:51.032.

I could never get that turn 11 correct in my one stint.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

45 cars started. 

We beat 34 of them without really trying. 

In the east that would have put me in last place

:)

There is the trash talking I was looking for!!!!!!

We had a bent/blown RF damper (see page 1) and all twisted up control arms/tie rod after just 25 minutes into Saturday, THEN we ran it out of fuel on the pit lap, had to get towed in... AND still came in 7th...  which by my calc is better than 11th ;)

• Like 5