JohnMac

Wrench / Driver looking to join or start Tampa area team

Now that my kids are grown and gone, I want to get back into racing. I'm looking for an existing team to join around Tampa - I'm in Pasco county. I road raced motorcycles back in the 80's when I was also a professional mechanic/tuner. 

I love the idea of endurance racing and would enjoy talking to anyone in this area about participating in the Sebring races this fall.

Edited by JohnMac
  • Like 1

While I'm on a team already, if you are on the eastern side (Zepherhills/Dade City) I can always volunteer an extra set of hands if you start your own team.  That is, as long as our car isn't short a cylinder, blowing brake calipers apart, chewing up clutches, you get the idea.  Now the bad... I travel for work... a lot.  So I'd be a true volunteer and not super reliable.  And if you were racing bikes in the 80's, well, I didn't get a license until the early 90's.  But, I'm easy to get along with and am not a know it all.  :rolleyes:

It was recommended that I get some track experience at Sebring = I'm signed up for the April 3rd track day... not figuring that I'll set any track records with my 2015 Mazda 3, however I'm thinking it will be fun.

• Like 1

Hello guys looking for the same raced for two years raced in mich,cleveland,midohio,georgia,and florida . Ran scca itr and itb its going on two year would love to start or join i have a car. Im in sarasota florida now an hr away from tampa thanks sean 9413488956

john I deont know if you have found or founded a team, but i am trying to get a "s3eniors" team rolling....wont race till the fall probably, but i have two built cars waiting for engines ....if possible i thought i would start with the scca driving school at the daytona track  and them maybe some track days   let me know if you have any interest  ( ps wife caught me so i have advertised one car for sale and ....hope she wont divorce me over the orher

On 1/18/2016 at 2:18 PM, Chumpster said:

Where in Pasco are you? I'm in Brooksville in Hernando County

Where are you ? I'm in brooksville also

Btw, any of you guys that are local, if you ever want to stop by, you're always welcome. I'm right on the spring hill/ brooksville border by nature coast high school. 

Also, if you ever want to get some seat time, I can always use another driver for each event

nothing carved in stone YET  ,,,I have two Toyota paseo chump cars all piped and previously raced....have the  engines out ..one for re-ring and 2nd for complete rebuild..... I  winter in bowling green fl (@30 miles from sebring ,,,,   I was looking at a seniors project and have a couple of possible players, but time is always a bit of a problem    I've raced stock cars ,legend cars and scca road race cars, but nothing  since to late 90's   ,,,I turn 70 next year and and looking to take one more kick at the cat

• Like 1

14 hours ago, scoop said:

nothing carved in stone YET  ,,,I have two Toyota paseo chump cars all piped and previously raced....have the  engines out ..one for re-ring and 2nd for complete rebuild..... I  winter in bowling green fl (@30 miles from sebring ,,,,   I was looking at a seniors project and have a couple of possible players, but time is always a bit of a problem    I've raced stock cars ,legend cars and scca road race cars, but nothing  since to late 90's   ,,,I turn 70 next year and and looking to take one more kick at the cat

Hey, Bowling Green is more than 30 miles from Sebring.  I grew up in BG, where do you stay there?  

I ammsnowbird living in bowling green winters..i have two Toyota passeos   engines out and being rebuilt here at home....don't know how it will go, but i'm 69 and want to do sebring and Daytona ,,,,,drop me a line if interested

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎02 at 7:27 PM, scoop said:

just updating    have both the regular and turbo engines rebuilt   be back in florida end oct

I'm revisiting this /thread to see if there's anyone in the Pasco Tampa area looking for a mechanic/crew/driver for Daytona spring 2018?

I'm slowly transforming my 2005 Mazda 3 into a chump car and would like to get some experience with a team before committing to fully gutting the car. 

On 1/18/2016 at 2:18 PM, Chumpster said:

Where in Pasco are you? I'm in Brooksville in Hernando County

Who is this? I'm in Spring Hill/Brooksville...

Justin Garvin 352-200-0371

49 minutes ago, JohnMac said:

I'm revisiting this /thread to see if there's anyone in the Pasco Tampa area looking for a mechanic/crew/driver for Daytona spring 2018?

I'm slowly transforming my 2005 Mazda 3 into a chump car and would like to get some experience with a team before committing to fully gutting the car. 

I have what's left of a Mazda 3 that you can have if you're interested. Still have control arms , gas tank and other stuff

Give me a call or text 352-200-0371

On 12/25/2017 at 11:33 AM, JohnMac said:

I'm interested in helping to put together car... and driving.  I have a wealth of experience and expertise in racing car builds.  I have feee time to help out, Im in Dade City.

-Chris 

Text me  727 389 7715