Campaigning from the World Center of Racing, Lead Sled Racing started as a mediocre idea (it's all Mike's fault) and has blossomed into mediocre race results all while having a ton of fun, consuming too much alcohol, not properly saving for retirement, but most importantly meeting a lot of really great people along the way. 

Capture_zpsfkwvvtla.jpg

Capture2_zpsthtp4cdd.jpg

Capture1_zpszs68mkjh.jpg

Originally the brainchild of Mike, who posts as "Lead Sled", his intention was to get a bunch of old friends together to build and race a car. The original group had various levels of racing experience, some with quite a bit, some with zero. At the time, 2010, we had only heard of the citrus series, so our goal was to have a car complete for a 24 hour endurance race at PBIR.

We needed a car... after mulling around some options, we determined that most of us have owned reasonably serious street cars and have ADD, so we need to be entertained - the car must be a V8. 

The only logical choice was a Lincoln Town Car. Why? Because it was free.... 

but it needed a motor....

Long before 50 page discussions on swap rules, long before "cheaty" was hip with the kids, back from an era when swaps were pure....... We knew the Lincoln MUST have a Vortec truck engine. Why? Because it was free.

The original studly line up was:

Mike Smith

David Castello

Tim Goeman

Joe Pirtle

Somewhere along the way our buddy Geoff Thompson joined the madness, and we also have a couple of "regulars" that drive with us as well, all of whom are friends or we met through Chump.

Fast forward and here we are... 5 years and a lot of races later, we somehow have managed to not kill the Lincoln yet, oh but how we have tried - but she's a tough ol' girl and has served us well. Once some of the growing pains of the build and learning the nuances of endurance racing have come to pass, we have actually had reasonable results at some of the bigger field count races. 

Now there is a new addition to the Lead Sled stable, the Cage Gage Camaro. Technically it is a solo build, but I consider it part of the Lead Sled banner. Personally, I was extremely burnt out on racing, but this "silly" endurance racing has really grown on me and made me realize that I love racing for the sake of racing. Next thing you know, another car is in the works.....

20160114_230815_zps0w5gampk.jpg

See everyone at the track!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Confirmed, I was trying to wrap my head around their swap

Two of our most memorable things from that race were racing "The Shark Car", "WTF is that thing guys?" "I think it's an Infinity, it's fast as sh!t" and racing the JB Bugs guys for the class win. I remember one of the citrus high-ups saying, and I quote, "That motor will never last 3 hours, it doesn't matter what class we put them in..." Oh ye of little faith, we have destroyed every other mechanical system on the car except the engine. 

9 hours ago, dogtired said:

Ya'll were at PBIR in 2010?

I nuked the clutch in the Prelude about 5AM.... cost us the race..... ;)

You probably didn't notice us because we were too busy trying to figure out why we were cooking alternators and trying to scrounge up brake parts for a good 4 or 5 hours of the race.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

That is WAY too flimsy a wheel chock for a car that size. I don't care how many lip glosses are in it...

You sir have a great eye - I NEVER noticed that before..... it is like one of those trick photos where you manage to overlook the finer details of the surrounding B)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The new car looks awesome!! I was hoping to get to do some racing with it. I did not know that you guys had retired and I assumed that we were just at opposite sides of the track for my stint.

Oh, I got one of the gift certs for the Cage-Gage so I will be ordering up a couple of those real soon!

Edited by CutlassRacer
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, CutlassRacer said:

The new car looks awesome!! I was hoping to get to do some racing with it. I did not know that you guys had retired and I assumed that we were just at opposite sides of the track for my stint.

Oh, I got one of the gift certs for the Cage-Gage so I will be ordering up a couple of those real soon!

Good deal, just PM me or email me at david@cagegage.com when you are ready and I will set it up with the discount! 

Thanks, that is a nice compliment coming from you guys, yea super bummed we did not get to do any more dry racing... I saw you early on in the rain, but it took me a good 30-40 minutes to feel the car out and get to the point of trusting it a little in the wet... Ugh, a whole 12 months til Daytona again... Oh well COTA and Sebring will be here before we know it :)