Pacific Raceways Racing in the Rain

Aleru

Awesome Racing out there Chumps!

Thanks to everyone for coming out and enjoying the beautiful liquid sunshine we have here in Seattle. :)

Saturday's results are in!!

They can be found online at:

http://www.mylaps.com/en/events/1240599

Or download the results and laptimes at:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3sE_eBHunfsT2RrRjJNLS1kWG8&usp=sharing

Hoping to see more fun Racing Tomorrow!

Edited by Aleru
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

What's happening?  The live timing is not working.

Called it a day w conditions set to deteriorate.  Here at home in Tacoma now it's gusting to 50, but the rain has largely subsided.

Hope all is well w dude from the wrecked BMW, best wishes go to him and his team as they go forward 

That was after the fact from the wall impact I believe is what they said.  

Yesterday's afternoon ending spectacle was something I don't think I'll ever see again.  Does anyone have a link to the photographer's website so I can PROVE to people what a drift fest it became?

Edited by odddoylerules
Sp

Wow, bad weekend for lots of folks I hear. It sure was for us. The My Little Pony #8 Mustang appears to be a total loss after getting loose in turn one, sliding into the outside berm and rolling once during our first stint.

Luckily the high dollar containment seat and the NASCAR style roll cage kit from Morrison all worked perfectly and our driver is just fine.

Just shook up.

We've raced this car since 2012 , including "The 36" in Spokane, with varying degrees of success and she'd had a few bumps and scrapes, including last year at Pacific in the EXACT same corner when another driver put her on her side. But then we were able to fix her up and continue on Sunday.

Sadly I think this time she might be beyond fixing.      RIP lil Pony.

As a Team we now have to see what's next.....something American....STAY TUNED

IMG_6012.thumb.jpg.72170fcd8b74edeeea685IMG_6002.thumb.jpg.7e53808bea18b912a1110IMG_6001.thumb.jpg.adba249418929a7739e46

Edited by chevyrat65
add pictures

I guess I don't understand why they pick PR as the first race of the season.  If Chump really wants to run that track, they need to do it at the end of the season so they aren't short 4 or 5 cars for the rest of the summer.

Last year when they raced there, it was about the same result.  4 or 5 cars lost during the weekend.

I guess my balls aren't as big as some other guys.  I didn't run this weekend for this exact reason.  It is a very unforgiving track.

Just now, lenbo211 said:

I guess I don't understand why they pick PR as the first race of the season.  If Chump really wants to run that track, they need to do it at the end of the season so they aren't short 4 or 5 cars for the rest of the summer.

Last year when they raced there, it was about the same result.  4 or 5 cars lost during the weekend.

I guess my balls aren't as big as some other guys.  I didn't run this weekend for this exact reason.  It is a very unforgiving track.

I will never set foot on that track again with any series.

Glad to hear everybody is ok.

53 minutes ago, lenbo211 said:

It pisses me off to no end when I hear crap like this.  Any track can be "unforgiving" in certain conditions.  It's not that we've never seen torrential rain and wind at Portland... or Sebring... or Daytona... or VIR... or Road America... (ad naseum).  Even without inclimate weather we've seen tracks that are hard on cars -- Nelson Ledges anyone?

ChumpCar takes great pride in certain things that we do well -- safety concerns being one them.  Another is that we race in every possible condition, which is what endurance racing is all about.  And another thing ChumpCar excels at is that we've opened the door for racers of every background to run at every possible type of track, from Daytona to Pacific Raceway and from Laguna Seca to Thompson Speedway -- all across the USA.  The variations in these tracks attract a wide variety of drivers and teams that we proudly call Chumps and members.  Some drivers prefer tight, short tracks whereas some prefer big, open, high-speed tracks.  Great racers enjoy them all for the challenges that each present.

Finally, as mere humans, we all have to address our own skill level.  Some tracks are just to much for us.  Some are just right, while a few may seem too easy.  My personal skill-set is different from yours, as is also my racing experience.  I, actually, prefer racing in the rain over racing in dry conditions.  Okay, that's me.  It may not be you.  But, to ask ChumpCar why they chose a particular track, during a particular period of the year, and then (because of weather) cast dispersion against the track and ChumpCar... well, that just shows a person's inexperience in dealing with all the challenges and variables that road racing can throw at you.

I've written off a few cars in my racing history.  Okay.  Next.  It never stopped me and I doubt it will stop folks like Lil Pony.  Those guys get it.  Racing is a risk.  Sometimes the odds are with the house.

John

• Like 10

Agree, at the end of the day you are the one piloting the vehicle and making the decisions.  I instruct at an ice driving school and pretty much without exception when the male drivers mess up it is, "the tires, the brakes, the steering, the ice, the snow, etc."   Pretty much without exception the female drivers will say, "what did I do wrong?"   Yes the track is challenging so you have to treat it with respect.  

Sad to see the four cars toast, glad to hear all ok, hope to see them back on the track soon.   

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, ChumpCar said:

It pisses me off to no end when I hear crap like this.  Any track can be "unforgiving" in certain conditions.  It's not that we've never seen torrential rain and wind at Portland... or Sebring... or Daytona... or VIR... or Road America... (ad naseum).  Even without inclimate weather we've seen tracks that are hard on cars -- Nelson Ledges anyone?

ChumpCar takes great pride in certain things that we do well -- safety concerns being one them.  Another is that we race in every possible condition, which is what endurance racing is all about.  And another thing ChumpCar excels at is that we've opened the door for racers of every background to run at every possible type of track, from Daytona to Pacific Raceway and from Laguna Seca to Thompson Speedway -- all across the USA.  The variations in these tracks attract with wide variety of drivers and teams that we call members.  Some drivers prefer tight, short tracks whereas some prefer big, open, high-speed tracks.  Great racers enjoy them all for the challenges that each present.

Finally, as mere humans, we all have to address our own skill level.  Some tracks are just to much for us.  Some are just right, while a few may seem too easy.  My personal skill-set is different from yours, as is also my racing experience.  I, actually, prefer racing in the rain over racing in dry conditions.  Okay, that's me.  It may not be you.  But, to ask ChumpCar why they chose a particular track, during a particular period of the year, and then (because of weather) cast dispersion against the track and ChumpCar... well, that just shows a person's inexperience in dealing with ll the challenges and variables that road racing can throw at you.

I've written off a few cars in my racing history.  Okay.  Next.  It never stopped me and I doubt it will stop folks like Lil Pony.  Those guys get it.  Racing is a risk.  Sometimes the odds are with the house.

John

I never said anything about rain being the issue. This is the Northwest. We have rainy races sometimes in August. Rain is what it is and actually creates better drivers.  I like to train in the rain because I get to learn car control physics at lower speeds where lost traction at 40 causes much less damage than lost traction at 90. Under the best conditions, PR is probably the most technically difficult and least forgiving track in the Northwest. There is almost no room for error and if you go off track, even at 40, you're almost certain to fold up your car.  Last year at PR was beautiful and that track still claimed 4 or 5 cars.

Granted, any car can be lost at any time on any track, but like you said, there are tracks where the odds are in the house's favor.

I think you made my point exactly. I don't have the skill and guts to take my car there. If I did choose to race there, it wouldn't be the first race of the season so I risk having to miss the entire season building a new car for the next 6 months.  I'll miss running door to door with My Lil Pony and the other casualties.  Who knows, maybe they have time and resources to start from scratch in a couple months before the next race.  I sure hope so.

• Like 2

We love this track, it is my personal favourite even over Ridge. It's technical and fast, I am challenged every time I go there. Have I had close calls? Yes of course.  

As for the first event of the season? For the last three years that it's been on the calendar we have been excited to have it as our first event.  We need that excitement. It's all about knowing when your in too deep and to back off a 1/10th or less ;)

The one thing we as a team always remind ourselves of is the danger and risk.  We like our car, we prep it for the track we are going to run and the anticipated weather conditions for the weekend. We ease into it on our first stint and then give it hell. 

Teams that signed up for Pacific all know the track is difficult. That why they go. As well, how many teams that were there had actually never ran it before? or weren't experienced racers?  I'm pretty sure all teams that sadly wrecked at the track have been there before and knew the risk or potential

For once, I actually agree with a post John has made. 

Edited by turbophil
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Tallstinkyman said:

and then we met ours on Sunday morning..

The driver is fine, the car is not. Infact, the concrete barrier didn't fair so well either.  We thank you all for your concern 

We are glad Eric is ok. That is just a sh!t luck wreck. 

Edited by turbophil
  • Like 2