Jump to content
House

Another Tire Company Hat in the Ring

Recommended Posts

Firestone Indy 500

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Indy+500

 

Nothing listed on the site for TW but if you take a look at the picture you can see what looks like a 240 stamped on the side. It is 2-something anyway. Starts at 16" and goes up. Looks like a cheap alternative. The jam packed 225/50R16 size has this tire listed at $91.10. Looks like they ripped off their sister's RE-11A but meh. Might be worth a look-see if you would like to save $80+ for a set.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, flyinglizard said:

"American Racer" also has a new tire 180 race tire. 205/50/15 is the only size tho. I test their road race slicks but have not tested the 180 tire yet. 

Do you have any details on the AR tire?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We tested the American Racers on my autocross car and they are a very budget tire, no ware near the level of a Hooiser.

Maybe someone could test them to see but I would not be interested in them at this point.

 

Yes they were also slicks and not a treaded tire.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The AR 180 tire is not related  to the  Road Race slick.   Look ontheir facebook page for info. Nothing listed on their site.

 

 

 AS far as the Road race slick,  I am a tire test/development partner. I run the tires against known good values and give the data back to the engineer, who makes changes and so on.  The current test tires are someplace in the 5th generation and getting closer to the Hoosiers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the tread pattern on the American Racer looks like a great dry track only design...according to the person representing American Racer on the facebook page they listing them at $129 msrp..a fair bit higher than most of the usual suspects in that size

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those firestones are just regular street tires, with a 340 treadwear.  I would use something geared towards track use, close to 180 rating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when are they going to use a "200tw" compound and produce a semi slick or full slick(think RA-1)? would you run it? 

Edited by Frylock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought the Hoosier A8s would be a 140/180/"whatever the SCCA sets the stock class rules to" tire.  I imagine it was a noticeable hit on their business when stock class went to street tires only.

Edited by DaveH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These look very similar to the Hoosier Spec Miata tires, which have a treadwear of 40.

If they perform anything like their stock car slicks, they will be a very good tire.

The extra grooving may be a bit more forgiving in the wet - until they are worn off.

 

RR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2016 at 8:15 AM, RedShoeRacing said:

Firestone Indy 500

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Indy+500

 

Nothing listed on the site for TW but if you take a look at the picture you can see what looks like a 240 stamped on the side. It is 2-something anyway. Starts at 16" and goes up. Looks like a cheap alternative. The jam packed 225/50R16 size has this tire listed at $91.10. Looks like they ripped off their sister's RE-11A but meh. Might be worth a look-see if you would like to save $80+ for a set.

 

If you click the "specs" tab on the linked page, the individual tire sizes come up, and they all list as 340 UTQG.  What that actually means with this tire?  Who knows...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On March 18, 2016 at 2:04 PM, flyinglizard said:

The AR 180 tire is not related  to the  Road Race slick.   Look ontheir facebook page for info. Nothing listed on their site.

 

 

 AS far as the Road race slick,  I am a tire test/development partner. I run the tires against known good values and give the data back to the engineer, who makes changes and so on.  The current test tires are someplace in the 5th generation and getting closer to the Hoosiers.

For the racing slicks which compounds have you tested?  Which would you say are the longest wearing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I have no idea what the compounds are. I just measure the shore value at various temps  , collect ,compare the data to known good values and make the report. Rinse and repeat. When the test  model tire get close to the target tire, I get finer data values. Eventually going to blind test with other drivers.

 

 I have  not  run the new DOT tires at all.  I just  spoke  to the engineer of the project- and listen to his results. He said the 205/50/15 is the only size to be made this year and that it was .3 sec faster @    Summit Point on the E30  than the Dunlop,  and made about 9 hrs of testing on the left side. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jsi said:

Google doesn't find any reviews from the US on the Nexen (other than a UK site with only one non street based review saying not great for track days - but not even sure if it is the same tire/compound there) - anybody have feedback on it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not really a give-away price on any of the nexen sizes compared to the usual suspects...tried one of the china brands 2 years ago (nankang)...nothing good to say except the price was right...unless things have improved drastically from that 'benchmark'....if I need to save $$ - hankook...if I have a few extra $$ in the tire fund...bridgestone or yoko-these have proved consistently faster on our car than any other tire...might try the rivals again with the new sponsor.

 

the american racers are priced at the top of the heap for a 205/50r15..... .3 sec faster than dunlop (as stated above) but $25ish more per tire doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Consumer reports did a article on crappy and fake tires coming out of china.  I want good tires on my race and street cars.  I wont buy any tire made in china.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2016 at 1:06 PM, ElectricGold said:

This is the American Racer Tire: 5da91_Radial.thumb600.jpg

re-hashing an old post for a little fyi....this is NOT a chumpy tire...tried a set on the weekend....2150 lb fwd car (no driver)...down to the cords in 3 hours on the front...rears lasted 8 but are now junk...initial grip fell off sharply after 3 or 4 flying laps...never again for us (nankang,american racer,nexen,...blah blah blah)...put on a set of rivals and it was easy to see the difference...have pics somewhere but I think most of you know what a corded tire looks like

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, curtwill said:

re-hashing an old post for a little fyi....this is NOT a chumpy tire...tried a set on the weekend....2150 lb fwd car (no driver)...down to the cords in 3 hours on the front...rears lasted 8 but are now junk...initial grip fell off sharply after 3 or 4 flying laps...never again for us (nankang,american racer,nexen,...blah blah blah)...put on a set of rivals and it was easy to see the difference...have pics somewhere but I think most of you know what a corded tire looks like

 

Goos to know and thank you for taking the time to post up about them.

 

We love the grip the rivals give, just had issues with delamination in the past on our Escort but no issues ever with them on the E36. We are trying the Rivals again on the Escort for the 24hr at VIR as its been a couple of years now, unless it rains, in which case we will run Hankooks..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...