15 members have voted

1. 1. How do you repair a small puncture centered in a good race tire

• Patch
    • Plug
    • Tube
    • Are you f#@*#!g crazy
    • Trash
    • Other, please explain

Ran over a screw with a zero lap tire, never rotated a second time over the screw so no other damage, injury was dead center. Grabbed the plug kit only to be met with team disapproval, got a patch, went racing, tire failed to hold, noticed low on a pitstop 100 laps later, turns out that patch had come half off, the good half required 2 people,jumbo water pump pliers and several big grunts to tear off.

Discuss

• Like 1

Haven't done it with a RACE tire, but I have plugged a brand new RE-11 on my DE car. It is holding up just as well as the other 3 unplugged tires.

• Like 1

I would think with the temp and stress (Lat and Long stretching) we put these through, patching\plugging is a bad idea. It sucks but for what we are doing it really needs to be replaced. It isn't just an air thing either. Displace or cut a belt, steel, nylon, kevlar, whatever, is a quick way to have one of these come apart and that is the second to last thing any of us wants. It loses out to fire by a wide margin but still. It is a simple (but expensive) fix that you and your competitors will thank you for.

Our's rotate 900 times every mile. That's 1800 times at Gingerman and over 3000 times a lap at Watkins. Nick or cut a belt and there is ample opportunity for it to come apart on you.

• Like 3

Since it is a racing tire my first reaction is to use it on a non racecar, but I know a properly applied patch will hold well if not near an edge of the tire.

That mean the tire comes off and grind the surface, apply rubber cement and glue the new patch in place.

If it comes off or leaks it will be a slow leak.

• Like 1

We picked up a screw in the center of the tire I wanted to plug it but we decided to have it patched ,it failed at Charlotte motor SPEEDWAY , glad I put it on the inside .  Man I hate screws on a racecar they end up on the track Pits ,paddock ,and in brand new StarSpec's  .. Dang 

1 hour ago, dogtired said:

Won't do it..... my azzxx is worth more than  $275....

Well we all have our opinions on that... :lol::lol::o

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, okkustom said:

$276.45

Thanks Ray...

24 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

Well we all have our opinions on that... :lol::lol::o

And I have a sweet azz.....

I would have considered it in a pinch, but after reading some of everyone's experiences, I guess I've changed my mind... street car yes, race car no. 

I have also plugged a near-new ($300+) Re-11 and then used it for DE.  That said, it is/was primarily used as a street tire, and is actually still running strong after 5k summer miles and 3 DEs.

For a RACE tire though, I say no way.  Plug it and keep it for DE/practice, when you won't be at 10/10ths.

Edited by Jason B

Plug. I have no problem using them on a rear tire if the hole wasn't humongous. 

Ray, the rr tire at Atl had a plug. Raced over 12 hours and it's still there! Kelly says

the tire STILL has a little "goody" left in it! Hee hee :) 

Maybe not at Daytona...

Edited by sonofamitch