Chump Prototypes

ChumpStang

So, I was sitting around thinking the other day, and the thought "There are alot of awesome cars that are CLOSE to $500, but just can't quite be had for that money." crossed my mind. This thought led to "What if Chump Car had a Prototype class?"...and I had intrigued myself. What if the $500 cars were called the GT class, and a new class was added for $1000 cars? Sort of like ALMS or Rolex. Think of the possibilities! It of course has it's pitfalls, the most outstanding of which being that it would NEVER happen :lol: . But this was my thought, and I'd just like to hear what fellow Chumps have to say (and maybe some cars they would use).

Dont see it happening, but I have thought about the same thing before, well not the same, but just upping the $500 to $750 or $1000....but I would build a car or 2 for a 'gt' class. I bet you would get some wild stuff. Being my team has fieros....I would build a 3800SC fiero or a V8 fiero.

So the track would be more evenly matched it would be a better idea to raise the $500 limit to $1000 for all race entrants. This adds a bit of a safety value to the race because our suspension might get new, used shocks and springs so we could stay on the track at a higher rate. I like the idea, but are many factors that won't make it happen in 2011.

Where's the limit to this theory? Grassroots Challenge money limit, $2010? I really like Grassroots sponsorship! $2010 cars aren't all that hot and engineering would still be a factor.

This is the time to start thinking to 2012, so making an announcement early on about something like this upcoming would be good. Our KY_Spirits 300SX would be a hot factor with $2010 in it.

As Raybo once said, "Dreams does come true."

JAY-chump

Isn't this in part what the EC "class" is for?

EC was a "try before you buy" class to attract IT, SM, etc. racers by letting them use their current cars w/o fear of claiming. It's supposed to "go-away" at some point.

That said, I'd jump at this idea of a $1000 "prototype" class and not look back. Perhaps it could allow the 140 TW tires to help differentiate the two classes. I know it won't happen though.

Why does everyone want to split up into classes? We have enough trouble finding a proper field of $500 cars.

Keep it simple. bring a $500 car... Done.

Plus 1 again. Besides, a $1000 TR6 would only have more metal (less rust and holes) and therefore would only be slower :D

Even if this happened, we'd still stick with the $500 series. Part of the fun is just figuring out how to get a $500 Triumph to finish races.... :blink:

Speed differential would grow - and I for one (90 hp at most) are already worried about keeping up, (out of the way) of some fast cars - to increase the Value - TW reduction - cars go faster - and speed differential increases - in DP rolex the worst accidents I see at the 24 hrs of Daytona (been 12 years running) are DP and GT cars caused by speed differential -

+1 Don't like the rules? Start your own series.

fot pete's sake. We're having a discussion not a gol durn barking session. Go have some moonshine and chill. It is a freaking topic someone wants to hash out.

Want to run us away? I like chump and just want to have fun, not get complain slapped.

I do like the $1000 car + penalty laps and go have fun idea! Sounds good.

Julie

While classes are a terrible, TERRIBLE idea unless fields triple in size, if I were to argue for one, I'd argue for a split series by year. Pre and Post 1990 seems like a reasonable split; Engine performance started to shoot up in the early 90s.