The Ridge Road Run

Aleru

Final Results are in! 

Thanks for the incredibly clean and fun racing! Control was awful quiet with the lack of incidents and calls.

If you liked Racing at The Ridge be sure to sign up for our race back here on July 22-24, you'll get a discount if you raced this weekend

Results can be found online at:

http://www.mylaps.com/en/events/1269746

or download the results and lap times at:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3sE_eBHunfsT2RrRjJNLS1kWG8&usp=sharing

Looking forward to seeing you guys back here!

~Ben Blas

Timing and Scoring

Hey Ben, so just wanted to make the point that we were assessed a 5 min penalty for being 27 seconds over our 2hr driver stint but based on our live telemetry the green flag was dropped at 9:02:43 +/- 3 rows on the grid and our last ping prior to pit stop was 11:00:43 which is 1hr 58min. I would like some clarification on this because we had no intent or malice in breaking the rules and we believe we were within the 2hr window.

Can you clarify?

15 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

The race is deemed to start as per the schedule at 9 AM regardless of actual start time.   Did you miss the driver meeting?   

Nope I was there but its deemed started for standard chump car rules of random green drop at 9:00am when cars are dispersed all around the track but shouldnt be when you have a 2x2 start, that's why I asked for clarification.

Edited by westcoastjay

We finally got back after 13 hours of driving.

Thank you Bill, Sandi, and Ben for another race weekend!

We thought our penalty laps were going to carry into this race from our Castrol win, when I asked Bill when they were going to show up in the live timing he said they will stay in Canada.  We started off good in the first two hours but then the rain came which does not make for a happy Mustang.  We toughed it out and made some ground in the drier periods but lost a lot of ground in the wet.  We pitted several times just to clean the water from the inside of the windshield.  We also had a pit to change a tire that was flat spotted in a spin.  We finished fourth, congrats to the winners.

Day two we debated whether to try for a two stop or three stop strategy.  At the start I messed up and forgot to hit the timing retard switch to make the computer happy in start mode.  Everybody left me at the green flag while I finally figured out what was wrong.  Our strategy was sealed as I had to go hard to chase everybody down, even more so when I got motion sickness 1.5 hours in.  We tried hard to go for it but we just couldn't make up the ground.  We were in a solid second place, 1.5 laps off the lead and 1.5 laps up on 3, 4, 5.  With 15 minutes left my driver radios that he went off the end of the straight and is coming in for us to check the car over.  The reply was it looks good from the pits, keep going if it feels ok because a pit will drop us to fifth.  He stayed out and we finished in second.  Congrats to the winners on day two.

Oh, and one bump on the weekend.  It took out a tail light but no big deal as he came over and apologized. 

Edited by Ron_e
  • Like 2

Big thanks to Bill & all the Chumpcar staff for keeping this event alive despite the low turnout. As always it was great seeing and racing with all of you. TRMP is defiantly a premere NW facility. 

On a personal note, I loved seeing another Mustang up front! But....I might be a little biased. :) Congrats Team Tachophobic for a solid finsh on both days.

Brian

Big Thanks to Bill, Sandi and the rest of the track/safety crew. A great weekend, I dont think we had a full course yellow all weekend and no red flags, so really good driving by almost everyone. We had a great weekend with 2nd overall in the 12 hour and 1st in B class. We passed the Martini's in the last hour hour or so and the top three were all on the same lap. Close racing after 12 hours!. The weather gave us front wheel drive guy's an advantage, but we'll take an advantage we can get :)

Sunday we finished 2nd in class...good enough to bag 1st in B class for the weekend :)

Ca't wait for July....c'mon everyone, sign up for The Ridge, it's such an awesome track.

Russ, Team Rusty Rototrs

Edited by droptheclutch
  • Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 2:28 PM, westcoastjay said:

Hey Ben, so just wanted to make the point that we were assessed a 5 min penalty for being 27 seconds over our 2hr driver stint but based on our live telemetry the green flag was dropped at 9:02:43 +/- 3 rows on the grid and our last ping prior to pit stop was 11:00:43 which is 1hr 58min. I would like some clarification on this because we had no intent or malice in breaking the rules and we believe we were within the 2hr window.

Can you clarify?

Every Chump race I've ever been to has said the race start is at 9 AM (or 10 AM) regardless of when they drop the green flag. sometimes timing and scoring can't get pings on everyone until 9:15. Driver sessions still started at 9 and ended at 11.

7.5.2 Within an Endurance Race, no driver shall drive for more than 2 hours consecutively and shall have, at a minimum, sixty (60) minutes rest between stints.

Sorry, but seems pretty clear. Black flag, yellow flag, red flag, pace laps, all count as part of 2 hours.

Thanks to Bill, Sandy, Ben and the whole Chumpcar crew for putting on the race.  Congrats to Rainbow Unicorn for their first win on Saturday and to SoA for their Sunday win.

Our weekend didn't go so well.  Our transmission broke on Saturday and by the time we put in our spare we were already 60 laps down.    Still,several of our drivers had fun runs even though we weren't in contention.   On Sunday our race lasted all of 12 minutes, and I must admit that I was mostly responsible for that.     I made the assumption that the 27 car knew where I was, and clearly that was a very bad assumption.  The colision bent our rear suspension and we couldn't continue.    It was early in the race so it wouldn't have hurt me to back off and make sure he saw me before trying to complete the pass, so I apologize to all those involved:  the 27 team,  my teammates, Chumpcar and to the rest of the competitors.   

Also to  SoA, since I think we had a really good car and we would have given you someone to race against.   I'm beginning to think you guys are bad luck for us, because something always seems to happen to us when you guys are around :-)

A couple videos below.

Here's the video of our entire Sunday race: 

Here is another view of the crash from the 313 car: 

I'd love to see the view from the Martini car.

17 hours ago, kuzimmer said:

Also to  SoA, since I think we had a really good car and we would have given you someone to race against.   I'm beginning to think you guys are bad luck for us, because something always seems to happen to us when you guys are around :-)

Oh man. I noticed you guys were out Sunday and now I know why. Bummer.. It's always good fun racing with you guys.

We still had some tough completion though and you would have been right there. I have to admit luck was on our side Sunday. With Tachophobic's extra stop for a sick driver and Rainbow Unicorn's MOV laps from Saturday, things likely would have turned out different.

Brian

18 hours ago, Frylock said:

How many teams showed up?

As best as I read the timing.  20 teams total.  19 started Saturday and 16 on Sunday. 

(would have "slightly" improved our odds of making the top 15 on Sunday)  :P

Edited by my parts guy
  • Like 1

Hey guys!  Wanted to chime in and apologize for the start on Saturday.  First, we didn't know the start time had changed to an hour earlier, I was first driver and wasn't even suited up yet, got dressed as quickly as I could as the rest of the team finished switching out tires.  Secondly, we somehow missed the fact that it was a 2 by 2 start.  All of the other Chump races that we'd done were single file start type.  I think Rusty Rotors was in front me of getting frustrated that I wasn't lining up, once they radioed and told me it was a 2 by 2, I lined up correctly.  Sorry 'bout that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2016 at 10:08 AM, lenbo211 said:

Every Chump race I've ever been to has said the race start is at 9 AM (or 10 AM) regardless of when they drop the green flag. sometimes timing and scoring can't get pings on everyone until 9:15. Driver sessions still started at 9 and ended at 11.

7.5.2 Within an Endurance Race, no driver shall drive for more than 2 hours consecutively and shall have, at a minimum, sixty (60) minutes rest between stints.

Sorry, but seems pretty clear. Black flag, yellow flag, red flag, pace laps, all count as part of 2 hours.

As best I can recall, this was discussed fairly extensively within the last year or two, and there was variation between different regions as to standard practice---it was not universal as to whether the clock started at the schedule start time or at green.