Gateway Sprint and Enduro's

55mini

Well let me start this with it was really hot! Both the temperature and the racing with a large group of EC cars and nice group of Chumpcars.

Our first time to the this track and I must say from the team they loved the track and had a blast! With our little Miata it did not much like the sprints as

they EC boys or big motors walked all over us. Now the enduro was another thing as we had our best finish to date, second on day one and fourth on day two,

had to repair a broken exhaust or we would have been right at the top again.

So the big question, would we do this again, you bet if at a cooler weekend as our rear diff did not like that heat very well.

Hats off to Bill, Sandy, Rick, Alex?(sorry if I got that one wrong and to Jillian our new central regional. These guys did an amazing job with the event and under the heat conditions

went the extra to make this event a blast. HATS OFF TO YOU GUYS and major thanks.

Congrats to all that ran and did well in both groups! Crank Yankers did an super job both days.

• Like 2

Indeed, We had a great time!  We don't want leave Sandy out in the thanks to the Chump staff dept.  They all worked hard to make another great event.  

Driving was great by everyone, with several great chump stories that unfolded in the garage area as teams wouldn't give up and kept plugging away.  

Congrats to Crank Yankers, they kept their equipment and people going in the heat all weekend.  

I can't thank all of you enough. The West region crew had a GREAT time and we truly enjoyed serving the central Region. We really enjoy working with you all. Jillian has a great group of Chumps to work with and we would be happy to help anytime we are needed. 

Congratulations to all of you who participated in the Gateway event this weekend.

If there is ever anything we can do, please let us know.

billg@chumpcar.com   sandig@chumpcar.com

• Like 2

Team Got Gear? 1978 Chrysler LeBaron had a disappointing weekend but still had a blast. Fuel feed issues, a broken right front spindle, and a camshaft that no longer turns ruined our track time. Just shedding some more fatigued dirt track parts!  Great people on the teams and on the Chump staff. We are lucky to be able to run at tracks like this. Hats off to the #91 Totes Magotes Motospotes for buying a whole car of craigslist for $200 and installing that engine and running fast for most of the day Sunday. Congrats to all the winners. It was a tough weekend in the heat.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Wagonman13 said:

Team Got Gear? 1978 Chrysler LeBaron had a disappointing weekend but still had a blast. Fuel feed issues, a broken right front spindle, and a camshaft that no longer turns ruined our track time. Just shedding some more fatigued dirt track parts!  Great people on the teams and on the Chump staff. We are lucky to be able to run at tracks like this. Hats off to the #91 Totes Magotes Motospotes for buying a whole car of craigslist for $200 and installing that engine and running fast for most of the day Sunday. Congrats to all the winners. It was a tough weekend in the heat.

Sorry you had such bad luck.  

Its always great to see the car on track and hear the roar.  Each time we heard the roar, we hoped you would keep her going.  

Edited by samluke
  • Like 1

• Administrators

We ended up getting home this morning at 3 am and I finally woke up out of a sleeping coma from this past weekend.  Gateway is always a fun track and a great event.  This was our second year there and both times it has been run by Bill and Sandi.  This team really does an awesome job at running events and putting on a good show.  Jillian is learning from some of the best and she has a lot of good ideas for the Central Region.  Now on to the racing for the weekend.

After a disappointing Watkins Glen weekend I know we only had a week and a half to do some things to fix the car to make sure it was ready to go for Gateway. We only had three drivers for the weekend and we were sharing crew guys with Four Car Garage Motorsports.  In true Crank Yankers fashion we stayed up and drank in Saturday morning.  I think the last time I looked at the clock it was 3:30 am and I was just getting in to bed after visiting Bobby's Place in St. Louis (they wouldn't let my other driver in because he wore camo shorts).  We got up at 6 am to get to the track to get ready for the sprint races.  I knew it was going to be a hot weekend and I'm glad we had the coolsuit system working.  The sprint races were a lot of fun and we had some great battles.  I was in the car for my last sprint race and we battled with F1 the whole sprint race.  I think we passed each other two or three times and we lost to them by 1.5 seconds.  We ended up coming in 3rd overall in the sprint races only 2 points back from F1. 

We only had an hour and a half to get ready for the 6 hour enduro and we noticed some water leaking from the cooling system.  We were installing the lights and we touched the overflow line and it just snapped off.  I'm glad we found this out before the enduro or else it wouldn't have lasted.  We rotated the tires and we were good to go.  After discussing our strategy we found out we couldn't make 3 drivers work because one of my drivers was racing with another team.  So we opted to run the 6 hour race with two drivers.  We started off having some good battles with Team MiElan in their Miata.  They had that thing running really good and we were putting down competitive lap times together.  We noticed our pit stops were going quicker than theirs which put us out to a couple lap lead early on.  We ran all consistent laps between myself and the other drivers and we didn't have any off road excursions or black flags.  We ended up winning the Saturday enduro by 11 laps, but with 10 minutes left the 2nd place team blew their rear diff which is why we had such a large margin.  We enjoyed some cold beers in impound, rotated the tires, checked the oil and headed to the bar to grab some celebration beers.

Sunday morning we woke up and realized we would have a large penalty to make up in order to win the race.  We were on some really bad tires (19 hours total at that time) and we were completely exhausted from the day before.  The good news is the 3rd driver wanted to start the race and I said go for it!  We knew Team MiElan worked hard on getting their car ready for Sunday to be competitive.  We started the race up in the front and we were turning really good lap times (3 to 4 seconds faster than the rest of the field) and thought we may have a chance to make up the laps for the race.  I started to plan our strategy on some fuel saving methods to try and use the 90 min driver max stints to our advantage.  3.5 hours through the race we made up our penalty laps and had a couple lap lead on the next car.  Towards the end of the race I felt a really bad vibration out of the passenger's rear tire.  You could tell the tire was not doing well and may not make it to the end of the race.  The whole day the tires felt really greasy and you could tell they were at the end of their life.  The last pit stop we changed the passenger's rear tire and we were off to finish the race.  We ended the race with a 2 lap lead bringing home the double win for the weekend.  All 3 of us put down similar lap times, we had every pit stop under 5 minutes and we didn't have any black flags or offs all weekend. 

I want to thank all of the racers who came out this weekend especially in the heat.  The corner workers champed it out all weekend.  If it wasn't for them we couldn't have raced at all.  We will see you all at the next race!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Crank Yankers Racing said:

Sunday morning we woke up and realized we would have a large penalty to make up in order to win the race.  We were on some really bad tires (19 hours total at that time) and we were completely exhausted from the day before.  The good news is the 3rd driver wanted to start the race and I said go for it!  We knew Team MiElan worked hard on getting their car ready for Sunday to be competitive.  We started the race up in the front and we were turning really good lap times (3 to 4 seconds faster than the rest of the field) and thought we may have a chance to make up the laps for the race.  I started to plan our strategy on some fuel saving methods to try and use the 90 min driver max stints to our advantage.  3.5 hours through the race we made up our penalty laps and had a couple lap lead on the next car.  Towards the end of the race I felt a really bad vibration out of the passenger's rear tire.  You could tell the tire was not doing well and may not make it to the end of the race.  The whole day the tires felt really greasy and you could tell they were at the end of their life.  The last pit stop we changed the passenger's rear tire and we were off to finish the race.  We ended the race with a 2 lap lead bringing home the double win for the weekend.  All 3 of us put down similar lap times, we had every pit stop under 5 minutes and we didn't have any black flags or offs all weekend. 

Really glad everything worked for you and went with out a hitch. Sad to say we thought we might have a great chance to do well but that went away near the end of our first drivers stint with a broken exhaust. We got it out and welded and back out fairly quickly but we lost too many laps to get fully back in the race. We gave it our very best but had a driver out from heat of Saturday and then some cool suit issues and not able to run full stints. On a short quick track you just can't have any issues to stay up front. So it goes in racing, but again great job Crank Yankers on back to back wins.

This old wrench is really worn out and the heat finally hit me about 45 minutes away from the track, had to have my son take over the truck and trailer for the haul home.

Still one of our best weekends in Chumpcar Racing to date!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Crank Yankers Racing said:

We ended up getting home this morning at 3 am and I finally woke up out of a sleeping coma from this past weekend.  Gateway is always a fun track and a great event.  This was our second year there and both times it has been run by Bill and Sandi.  This team really does an awesome job at running events and putting on a good show.  Jillian is learning from some of the best and she has a lot of good ideas for the Central Region.  Now on to the racing for the weekend.

After a disappointing Watkins Glen weekend I know we only had a week and a half to do some things to fix the car to make sure it was ready to go for Gateway. We only had three drivers for the weekend and we were sharing crew guys with Four Car Garage Motorsports.  In true Crank Yankers fashion we stayed up and drank in Saturday morning.  I think the last time I looked at the clock it was 3:30 am and I was just getting in to bed after visiting Bobby's Place in St. Louis (they wouldn't let my other driver in because he wore camo shorts).  We got up at 6 am to get to the track to get ready for the sprint races.  I knew it was going to be a hot weekend and I'm glad we had the coolsuit system working.  The sprint races were a lot of fun and we had some great battles.  I was in the car for my last sprint race and we battled with F1 the whole sprint race.  I think we passed each other two or three times and we lost to them by 1.5 seconds.  We ended up coming in 3rd overall in the sprint races only 2 points back from F1. 

We only had an hour and a half to get ready for the 6 hour enduro and we noticed some water leaking from the cooling system.  We were installing the lights and we touched the overflow line and it just snapped off.  I'm glad we found this out before the enduro or else it wouldn't have lasted.  We rotated the tires and we were good to go.  After discussing our strategy we found out we couldn't make 3 drivers work because one of my drivers was racing with another team.  So we opted to run the 6 hour race with two drivers.  We started off having some good battles with Team MiElan in their Miata.  They had that thing running really good and we were putting down competitive lap times together.  We noticed our pit stops were going quicker than theirs which put us out to a couple lap lead early on.  We ran all consistent laps between myself and the other drivers and we didn't have any off road excursions or black flags.  We ended up winning the Saturday enduro by 11 laps, but with 10 minutes left the 2nd place team blew their rear diff which is why we had such a large margin.  We enjoyed some cold beers in impound, rotated the tires, checked the oil and headed to the bar to grab some celebration beers.

I want to thank all of the racers who came out this weekend especially in the heat.  The corner workers champed it out all weekend.  If it wasn't for them we couldn't have raced at all.  We will see you all at the next race!

So, I guess Jeff and I are kicked off the team.....

• Like 1

Hi All:

Chief Instigator for Team James Bondo here.  Very well run event (Thanks to Sandy, Bill, Rick, Jillian, and anyone I am forgetting)!  It was an interesting format, and offered a TON of track time. That is, it offered a TON of track time for the teams who didn't hit the wall in the essses like we did. Beyond a few HANS hickeys and a bruised calf, our driver was not injured.

Anyone who finds they have video of our little excursion, please consider sending it to me, or posting it and letting me know where I can find it. Also, I think we need a new E30 shell if anyone has one surplus to their needs.

See you in the snow at Road America

Thanks again,

Mark

4 minutes ago, rx_sasparilla said:

That is, it offered a TON of track time for the teams who didn't hit the wall in the essses like we did. Beyond a few HANS hickeys and a bruised calf, our driver was not injured.

Mark really glad she was OK as it was a pretty nasty hit. At least it was running well to that point unlike Road America.

6 hours ago, rx_sasparilla said:

Anyone who finds they have video of our little excursion, please consider sending it to me, or posting it and letting me know where I can find it. Also, I think we need a new E30 shell if anyone has one surplus to their needs.

I fixed Tyler (Crank Yankers) up with another shell in KC.  Maybe he will have a spare one.  Or you can arm wrestle him for the one he hasn't picked up yet :) 

• Like 1

Team Mid Life Crisis also enjoyed the event and format.  We smashed our windshield in the first official sprint because I forgot to pin the hood down and we missed all but two of the remaining sprints while we got it replaced.  Thankfully a local shop could get it done for us!

Apparently our oil was toast after Saturday and lost its cooling ability and on Sunday we roasted the engine at about 11am and were done.  Still had a great time.  Thanks to everyone for a great event and a very clean set of races.

Mark, we do have video for you and will get it up soon,

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChumpScott said:

Team Mid Life Crisis also enjoyed the event and format.  We smashed our windshield in the first official sprint because I forgot to pin the hood down and we missed all but two of the remaining sprints while we got it replaced.  Thankfully a local shop could get it done for us!

Apparently our oil was toast after Saturday and lost its cooling ability and on Sunday we roasted the engine at about 11am and were done.  Still had a great time.  Thanks to everyone for a great event and a very clean set of races.

Mark, we do have video for you and will get it up soon,

Thanks Scott!  I wonder if the white Miata had a GoPro....

53 minutes ago, ElectricGold said:

Congrats to Tyler and the rest of CYR. After the misery that was WGI for you, glad you were able to have an awesome outing at Gateway..

Let's hope it continues!