mender

New Unicorn builds

So the new swap rule and FPV list has opened up some unique car combos! Here are a few that I thought of so far:

1. Gremlin with 2JZ: 21 gallons, 2756 lbs curb weight, 220 hp, 177 pts

2. Chevette with Ecotec: 12.5 gallons, 2085 lbs curb weight, 150 hp, 200 pts

3. Opel GT with Cosworth Vega: 14.5 gallons, 2076 lbs curb weight, 111 hp, 125 pts

4. Astro van with LS: 27 gallons, 3867 lbs curb weight, 332 hp, 365 pts

Now if we can convince Bob to build the Javelin with some homemade panels that I know he wants to make ...

Edited by mender
  • Like 3

Dont forget the trans/diff one will need unless you want your 2jz bolted up to a obsolete borg warner or a torqueflite although a ecotec/saginaw (or t5, look it up) wouldn't be too bad if one were to get a modern diff.

• Like 1

In all cases, use the transmission that came with the engine for 25 points - except for the Chevette which came with a T5 (yup :P).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mender said:

So the new swap rule and FPV list has opened up some unique car combos! Here are a few that I thought of so far:

1. Gremlin with 2JZ: 21 gallons, 2756 lbs curb weight, 220 hp, 177 pts

Oh man. You could add the 100pt turbo to that and run whatever power level you want.

• Like 1

1973 Opel GT.

Chevy Cruze 1.4T
Chevy Colorado 5-speed

Honda Civic rear disc brakes. MR2 front disk brakes.

16 gallon fuel cell

yes. almost there.

20160514_184532.jpg

• Like 6

2nd gen rx7 with 3.8 v6.

2250# 205 hp.  16.5 gallon tank before fuel cell.....

375vpi.  Cd of .29.

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, LAMR2 said:

Oh man. You could add the 100pt turbo to that and run whatever power level you want.

I knew some people would read between the lines. ;)

14 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

2nd gen rx7 with 3.8 v6.

2250# 205 hp.  16.5 gallon tank before fuel cell.....

375vpi.  Cd of .29.

Was this not possible before? 3800s and T5 are pretty stinkin' cheap.  I've heard of them in Lemons.

2 minutes ago, karman1970 said:

Was this not possible before? 3800s and T5 are pretty stinkin' cheap.  I've heard of them in Lemons.

Not with 2015 values.  Now with everything free and a 75 pt lowering of vpi, you can do it, plus everything else including coilovers....

And still have 80 pts left over.

• Like 1

Saab Sonett V4, swapped to Dodge Neon or PT Cruiser power: 3x HP, +50 to whatever value a Sonett would be. Fuel capacity: 15.8 gallons. Weight: 1,940 lbs. before race alterations.

7 minutes ago, red0 said:

2nd gen MR2 N/A with Camry swap.

For like 5 pts.

Now that aero is cheap, those cars have way more points to set even faster chump records at every track that blitz and McQueen don't show up.

HMMM, 190e options:

Make: Mercedes
Model: 190E
Year: 1986
MPV: 300
Car Weight: 2955 (starting with a 6cyl from Edmunds, 1990)
Original HP: 158
New HP: 200 (via k24a2)
Points Added to VPi: 50
--->NEW VPI: 350

plus 25 for the 5 speed Miata trans now to 375 with lots of points to play with (get to throw in a $400 trans adapter). free ecus and some 50vpi cams and its a nice little power package. issues: intake as TB faces wrong way stock (the #1 issue and new  off shelf part wont fit into 1.5k budget) and header may stick out into the LF frame (s2k header and a flange for $100 in the swap cost potential if stock header wont work).... 425 on the points with that engine (plus hot cams) +  trans to start, would be interesting. if the header and intake are required for clearance and then free and in swap budget, its an easy 200 whp weapon (with cams and free ecu). fwiw, the 1993 version is on 25pts more. still interesting.

Make: Mercedes
Model: 190E
Year: 1993
MPV: 325
Car Weight: 3020 (need the heaviest version)
Original HP: 158
New HP: 240 (j35a2)
Points Added to VPi: 74
--->NEW VPI: 399

plus 25 for the 5 speed Miata trans at 424 with lots of points to play with (get to throw in a trans adapter as long as full engine swap under 1.5k with ease). heavier but oh so cheep in terms of real maintance $. j35a2 odyssey engines are everywhere for cheap, Miata transmissions are fairly plentiful. might eat a bit more gas, and weigh more but really cheap power combo.

both seam a worthy little monsters even if it starts with a 14.5gal tank (euro got a 70L option on the 2.6L engines and 2.3 16v engines, NA only 55L in all models from what I have gathered so far). A cd of .32 on the 16V cars, .34 on others. not too shabby a start. probably not some unicorn of old (well the j35a2 190e was a boogieman last year and its never been built), but be an interesting choice against the e30/e36 horde. 

throw in aero (20 for a wing + splitter now), and a bit of now super cheap suspension, fuel cell w/ surge, and 2x brake rule (lol its a merc $$$$$$) it might be worthy competitor. heck even the lsd from the cosie could be fit up. 

these cars have been stripped to sub 2350lb without composites (https://www.mbca.org/star-article/november-december-2010/racing-1985-190e-cosworth) with the 16v 2.3 cosworth engine, so a conservative estimate of 2400lb to 2500lb dry swap may be possible with the k24 or j35.

personally I like the k-swap better, but idk if it can get there in real $$$. the j absolutely would, but I don't think it be as good a competitor with fuel consumption and weight.

• Like 1

Try it again using the 300d, you might find some interesting things ... ;)

Did you know that the US '86 560SEL is rated at 239 hp? And that a 400e steering box allows the installation of a 560SEL engine into a W124? And that a T5 is probably cheaper than a Miata trans?

Edited by mender
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mender said:

Did you know that the US '86 560SEL is rated at 239 hp? And that a 400e steering box allows the installation of a 560SEL engine into a W124? And that a T5 is probably cheaper than a Miata trans?

You are like the Cliff Clavin of obscure car knowledge. And I mean that in the best possible way.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, mender said:

Do they push like a bus?

I was shop foreman at a M-B dealership for a short while, needed a break from standing in front of a lathe ...

Any particular M-B you're looking at?