mender

New Unicorn builds

9 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Just because I'm on a crusade of openness here.... and I'm pissed about the wording in the rulebook.

Your statement appears to indicate that you think the stock HP of 170 has an effect on the 180 HP swap being 51 points... It is actually the case that you could have 1 HP or 100 HP or 179 HP and your swap would cost 51 points. Just straightening things out.

but I input 170 and 180 into the swap calculator...

8 hours ago, karman1970 said:

Just wondering, because some sources say they are 148hp and some say they are 150hp.

May be Federal V.S. California emissions?

5 minutes ago, UglyBoost91 said:

May be Federal V.S. California emissions?

Pretty sure they only made a 50-state version. I'll check my owners manual tonight

On 9/22/2016 at 3:04 PM, wvumtnbkr said:

2nd gen rx7 with 3.8 v6.

2250# 205 hp.  16.5 gallon tank before fuel cell.....

375vpi.  Cd of .29.

So, the only unicorn car that made it to the track, and as Rob expected, a good package!

1 hour ago, mender said:

So, the only unicorn car that made it to the track, and as Rob expected, a good package!

The beat part is that the car is even better than that in some ways...  mainly, since I need to claim it as an s5, it is still the 375 pts but now I start with 18.5 gallons of fuel before cell.

Granted,  I went with the 60 degree v6 and have a bit less hp than that, the car is still AWESOME! 

• Like 2

On 11/17/2016 at 8:25 AM, Xph said:

Maybe some snails on an 80 monza..

dekon-monza.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1333628766994

A local guy is selling his H-bodies. If only I were starting a build now.

150 points, fuel cell 20.5 gallons + surge and filler, 350, ST-10 or Muncie swap 25 points, 9" Ford diff for 25 points = 200 points to here. Aftermarket front hubs at 2.5 pts each, lots of springs, 40 pts worth of sway bars, various coolers, the 30 pts of aero shown, etc, etc, etc.

Maybe it's time to reenact the Holbert Monza vs Porsche battle ...

Image result for holbert monza porsche"

Edited by mender
  • Like 4

On 9/23/2016 at 12:05 PM, chbright said:

and 2x brake rule (lol its a merc $$$$$$)

400E brakes is all you need to stop one of these cars on the track, and they are super cheap bolt on and last forever. You can fit a 15" wheel over them too. 

Cheap rotor blanks are $28 a piece and last for a full weekend plus a track day. If you buy frozen rotors expect 3-4 race weekends out of them but they are $$ ST43 pads are available through porterfield and are fantastic.

If you dont like that idea go with 500E brakes and the 300mm rotors but you now need 16" + wheels.

Biggest problem with Running a Merc is the 5x112 bolt pattern on the wheels and the lack of options available.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gkuhn41 said:

400E brakes is all you need to stop one of these cars on the track, and they are super cheap bolt on and last forever. You can fit a 15" wheel over them too. 

Cheap rotor blanks are $28 a piece and last for a full weekend plus a track day. If you buy frozen rotors expect 3-4 race weekends out of them but they are $$ ST43 pads are available through porterfield and are fantastic.

If you dont like that idea go with 500E brakes and the 300mm rotors but you now need 16" + wheels.

Biggest problem with Running a Merc is the 5x112 bolt pattern on the wheels and the lack of options available.

Aftermarket hubs with a bolt pattern change = 2.5 pts each.

4 minutes ago, Gkuhn41 said:

Help me find the hubs i can use ive looked all over and couldnt find stuff.

But then again im a moron. 

Or wheel adapters for free.

Will have to look later, heading out now.

Just now, mender said:

Or wheel adapters for free.

Will have to look later, heading out now.

We asked about wheel adapters, the rules state spacers are free but not adapters. They said they did not want us using the adapters for saftey reasons.

56 minutes ago, mender said:

A local guy is selling his H-bodies. If only I were starting a build now.

150 points, fuel cell 20.5 gallons + surge and filler, 350, ST-10 or Muncie swap 15 points, 9" Ford diff for 25 points = 200 points to here. Aftermarket front hubs at 2.5 pts each, lots of springs, 40 pts worth of sway bars, various coolers, the 30 pts of aero shown, etc, etc, etc.

Maybe it's time to reenact the Holbert Monza vs Porsche battle ...

Image result for holbert monza porsche"

Ray........calling Ray............

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Gkuhn41 said:

We asked about wheel adapters, the rules state spacers are free but not adapters. They said they did not want us using the adapters for saftey reasons.

On the 230slk we have used adapters. We moved to a gm pattern to run high offset wheels.

Because of the offset increase the adapters are thick, like an inch. This allows lots of meat for the adapter, combine this with our proof of materials used to make the adapter, stud material and source, and proof of adapter engineering allowed us to pass tech with them. I don't recall if it cost points or not, we had a few (like 10) to spare either way.

Show up with a thin crappy part and your results i bet will differ. 

You can also redrill (and tap because mercedes) your hubs and rotors, but replacements become an issue then. Good hub adapters like ours are not cheap, 50ish a wheel or more, but the ability to use sub $200 corvette wheels was worth it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gkuhn41 said:

Oh I love the 190e. Think it's a good starting point. But finding manual around va was not easy when I was looking. At the brake parts via 2x are pie in the sky high. Are you guys running a 16v?

12 hours ago, Gkuhn41 said:

Help me find the hubs i can use ive looked all over and couldnt find stuff.

But then again im a moron. 

Not sure this is a good idea but:

https://theinfamousproject.com/yes-5x112-wheels-will-fit-on-5x114-let-me-tell-you-how-i-know/

Might be worth checking out but the hub centric rings better fit well and be durable.

Edited by mender

10 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

starts at 150... with everything being almost free,  one could run a car like this with a 400hp+ engine and dominate. 

32604880-200-Original-1974-IROC-race-series-Camaro.jpg

Tubular front subframe 10 points ...

11 hours ago, mender said:

Tubular front subframe 10 points ...

If they weren't so expensive for a B-Body Mopar I'd consider a 71-74 Road Runner/Charger 10 points but by the time you hang a good set of brakes on it the cost is 3-4k

A unicorm car that I have been thinking about for a bit now...    Honda K20 powered Fiero.  The swap calculates to 253 points, which leaves a ton left over. The engine is lighter and more reliable and better fuel economy. This would give those v6 swap MR2's a run for their mid-engine money.

4 minutes ago, JoeHeitzRules said:

A unicorm car that I have been thinking about for a bit now...    Honda K20 powered Fiero.  The swap calculates to 253 points, which leaves a ton left over. The engine is lighter and more reliable and better fuel economy. This would give those v6 swap MR2's a run for their mid-engine money.

Mmmmmmm 8,000 rpm

26 minutes ago, JoeHeitzRules said:

Isn't only like 12 gallons of fuel?  Yo @mender....