MSR Houston

hg1027

Team Dick Taters got home a little earlier than most, after a single limping lap and 4 hours at our hot rod shop. The engine in the 72 beetle came out 3 times and went back in twice, ending up with a diagnosis of no compression and me eyeing the built motor in the corner of the shop and my team mates eyeing my wallet. This was our first attempt at any kind of racing, and even though this was just meant to be a warm up to the other series event in November, we're all hooked. 

Special thanks to Dr (David? Some sort of nickname? Possibly of Los Peligrosos?) who welcomed us Thursday evening with the line "Ask anyone here for anything, and if they don't help you, they're $%^&*s" and for the consolation beer money as we hauled out on the trailer at 915am, the guys from 280reasonstowin for the drill bits and screws to attach our mirror for tech, ginger race team for the cordless drill ("It's a makita, but I don't think I know where the battery is"), and the lady at the front gate ("Where do we go to check in?" "No idea" "Where should we park?" "I dunno. Sign this waiver.") for giving us the confidence that at least we weren't the most out of place people at the whole track.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hg1027 said:

Team Dick Taters got home a little earlier than most, after a single limping lap and 4 hours at our hot rod shop. The engine in the 72 beetle came out 3 times and went back in twice, ending up with a diagnosis of no compression and me eyeing the built motor in the corner of the shop and my team mates eyeing my wallet. This was our first attempt at any kind of racing, and even though this was just meant to be a warm up to the other series event in November, we're all hooked. 

Sorry to hear about the bad luck on the motor.  We grenaded one 2 hours into our first race.  Guessing you didn't have time to test it out before hand?

Sorry to hear you guys only got a lap. As some prep for next race, might read through all the drama over on the Sebring thread to prep for speed differential. Just don't want anyone getting surprised or worse, hurt.

You missed some ice skating fun in the rain... it got really really slick out there.

https://youtu.be/TmbSy2n5gIU

I really liked the low key 21 car event, no contact that I saw, we had more trouble than anybody else keeping it on the track in the rain, and slowed to a crawl, but had a blast in the dry.

We had a GREAT time, some highlights from the #113 red/white/blue 280zx-

- Won C class.  It was a small field, but hey it's no less awesome.

- After test and tune we were having a major clutch issue.  Turbogrill came to the rescue and made available a spare clutch kit.  Thanks bud, Friday was looking pretty grim.  Let me know if you weren't compensated for that, I wasn't part of that discussion.

- First race with our team fielding two cars (sister 280zx's).  We kept pitstops staggered and surprisingly didn't have too much trouble.  The 5 minute minimum really helped.

- LOT of fun running against another team car.  That's the first car you need to beat.

- My wife (no stranger to racing) ran her first chump race in the other car.  You can bet our team ensured we were on track together, and it sure was fun.  Quite the experience, dang she was fast!

• Like 1

We had an absolute blast, despite the torrential down pour. Thanks to the ChumpStaff, volunteers and corner workers for a great event.   

Thanks CBraden the cool picture, that Opel GT was fast. We were very fortunate to finish in the top five and win D class. I had the most awesome time battling it out with the Bondurant Mustang. We fought it out hard for at least 30 minutes, this was some of the most intense racing I've ever done and look forward to racing with them again. During my first stint the rain set in the heaviest of the day, it had gotten bad enough it was hard to see much past the hood. After the rain slowed down and could see again, I was able to put some decent laps down despite the slick conditions. I was able to make up four positions, from eighth to fourth.

We had a friend race his first race with us and we've got him hooked. We were quite impressed with how he picked it up so well. But he did say he didn't like racing in the rain ;).

Hopefully I have some video of how bad the rain was, if so I'll post some of it.      

• Like 1

On 9/26/2016 at 0:36 PM, turbogrill said:

And next year I will pass all of you!

That Opel didn't like the rain :) (I thought it was a Corvette first....)

Good luck passing all of us! I am hoping for a June or July date, I can't handle that much rain again (watching the video from turbogrill is a good reminder). You have no idea how much the Opel wanted to go sideways in the rain. It stuck very well in the dry, flat awful in the rain.

HTRD I think I have more pictures, I'll try to post them up.

• Like 1

We had a great time in the purple accord, it was trying to kill us in the rain when we should have been faster in a fwd.  We had just installed a huge rear sway bar which made it much better in the dry trying to get rid of some of the understeer  but in the rain the backend was trying to come around us on every corner I just new we had broke something because it was so bad.  We tried to stay out of the way of the fast guys but had fun chasing everyone.  We ended up 8th and was in 4th or 5th up till the rain started to get heavy which was a lot better than I thought we would do.  We built this car thinking it was going to be a one time and done with the other series. We are having too much fun and have done 2 chump races and 2 lemons so we are looking to build a better car.  Thanks to all the Chumpcar staff and volunteers.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Yardsale said:

We had a great time in the purple accord, it was trying to kill us in the rain when we should have been faster in a fwd.  We had just installed a huge rear sway bar which made it much better in the dry trying to get rid of some of the understeer  but in the rain the backend was trying to come around us on every corner I just new we had broke something because it was so bad.  We tried to stay out of the way of the fast guys but had fun chasing everyone.  We ended up 8th and was in 4th or 5th up till the rain started to get heavy which was a lot better than I thought we would do.  We built this car thinking it was going to be a one time and done with the other series. We are having too much fun and have done 2 chump races and 2 lemons so we are looking to build a better car.  Thanks to all the Chumpcar staff and volunteers.

Who was your last driver?

I was doing my best to not being passed by your guys but somehow you managed to pass me in the carousel in the inside (black 280zx with green flames and no hatch).

Seems like we had very similar power but you manage to smoke me in the corners. Driving skill plays a role maybe? You guys been to the track before? Experienced drivers?

Your laptimes are pretty interesting, your best laptime was not very impressive (2.03) but you still manage to place well. Not sure how to analyze that? 

(We placed worse than you and also had worse lap times.)

turobogrill I was the last driver it was just me and my brother in law at this race he was a few seconds slower but we usually run pretty consistent just not very fast that car is very easy to drive and very forgiving.  we learned from our first race the key is to stay out on the track and keep turning laps, we only pitted every 2 hours other than that we just kept turning laps.  We know now if we run into rain we will have to disconnect the rear sway bar we gave up a bunch of positions in the rain.