Sebring vids

Philippe

We don't usually have videos ready this quick (thanks Brian)
Start of the race
3:45 - 11:30: Where is everybody?
11:30: Finally other cars...
12:25: "I know you are coming Sri..."
13:44: "Exqueeze me..."
13:55: "Exqueeze me again..."
18:00: #800 BMW for a long time...
...still with the #800 BMW (had it been for position at the end of the race, I would have pushed the issue, but not during the first 2 hours!
7:59: "Is Sebring bumpy? Look at my right side mirror..."
8:39: FCY, skip to 20:20
23:50: "This is where everybody was..."
24:27: spin #319 BMW
25:23: spin #64 Porsche
3:15: "I wish I still had my mirror..."
7:52: #223 Nissan doing some mosquitoes control
9:00 more of the #800 BMW's rear bumper...
10:00 Yellow!
10:08: Passing under yellow!
10:15: stop watching, only FCY
Skip to 18:35: restart
20:40: Shark!!!!
23:50: #917 Porsche
3:00: "I was so happy and impressed the beautifull classic Mustang made it to the end, but it could have ended badly here..."
3:25: " David from our friends the #917 Cone Crushers showing me what not to do in 17...:P"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Philippe said:

For those who come here often:

Philippe (GT30) on the left

Mark (Evilwheel) on the right

So did you remove the gimbal/stabilizer on Mark's stint or was a tire flatspotted? Or did the camera come loose? That is a bit more vibration than you experienced.

• Like 1

Mostly that was front brake shake, I was able to smooth them out a lot and towards the end of the stint it was pretty much OK by then.

The hub was driving me crazy as I couldn't diagnose it was the issue from the seat.  I was thinking axle failing, tie rod loose, wheel bearings, was able to rule out sway bar and or a bad shock being as those items wouldn't cause the car to change direction on its own.    I finally got really pissed at it and chose to ignore it until it broke.    After I made that decision and figured out what the car was doing going into the corners I was able to pick the pace way up.

Congrats, Kevin. That was some super aggressive, very talented driving. I think you may have left a trail of pissed off drivers in your wake, but that's what it takes to win. I would not be able to keep it on the edge like that without crashing, and if all of us drove like that, there probably would not be any cars left on the track after 20 laps. :)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

I may get chastised and called an old stick in the mud for this but whatever.  

This "look how many cars I passed in one lap video contest" that may be escalating, seems unhealthy for the no contact goal of the series.  

Just a thought.  It was a 14 hour race right?

Kevin was just trying to prove that you can win it in the first lap (after a restart). :)

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, SiberianDVM said:

Congrats, Kevin. That was some super aggressive, very talented driving. I think you may have left a trail of pissed off drivers in your wake, and if all of us drove like that, there probably would not be any cars left on the track after 20 laps. :)

Well said.

20 minutes ago, SiberianDVM said:

Congrats, Kevin. That was some super aggressive, very talented driving. I think you may have left a trail of pissed off drivers in your wake, but that's what it takes to win. I would not be able to keep it on the edge like that without crashing, and if all of us drove like that, there probably would not be any cars left on the track after 20 laps. :)

I'm not sure if you're kidding.  KSR's driver is "super-aggressive"?  What specific part of the video?  I see a really solid wheel-man hustling a fast car choosing to take passes in low to medium risk situations.  He's fast, in-control, using momentum, optimizing the revs and reading the upcoming cars.

If the general consensus here is that KSR's driving example is "super-aggressive" then you should hole up in a dark room, watch your own videos and ask yourself honestly, "How can my drivers improve to turn faster lap-times with our existing equipment?".  Sorry but if you can't drive like this guy then all this talk about tuning the PWR, swap rules, FPV values, turbos, blah blah won't get you to the podium.  

@CutlassRacer definitely good driving, congrats on the win.  Your car seems to have some interesting at-the-limit handling.  Curious what your tire wear was like if you were sliding around like that for 14 hours.  

Oh and if you want to see "super-aggressive" driving, watch @Hi_Im_Will's pro driver at WGI.

• Like 4

I agree, the KSR video looked pretty clean to me. I likely wouldn't have tired the move on the final corner going onto the front straight to pass the White E30 in the first part of the video, but that's just me (and I don't know the track either, so who am I to judge), but the rest looked good.

I guess when it comes down to it though, if you are blasting up the side of the track with cars getting off the line slowly, and get squeezed out there is a chance you could ruin a couple of people's day.  There isn't much you can do if the cars aren't going on green, but just be aware that not everyone has the skill and/or desire to win as you do! (Im not chastising, just saying please be ready for someone to do something stupid!)

Congrats to the KSR team though.  That car looks awesome.

• Like 1

If the general consensus here is that KSR's driving example is "super-aggressive" then you should hole up in a dark room

Anytime a driver has to go wheels off to make a pass, and there were some in this 1 lap, then IMO it's super aggressive for CC. Sorry if that's too conservative for you. Maybe you missed the part where I acknowledged his talent. My point is that not all CC drivers are capable of driving that well consistently, and most never will be, no matter how many hours they spend in a dark room. No thanks, I've more enjoyable things to do.

Edited by SiberianDVM
  • Like 1

It was not a goal that I set out to pass a certain number of cars in one lap, it just happened while I was racing. I did not even realize it until I was watching the video. I feel like I gave everyone enough space and only pushed a couple of the passes. I figured that I would get some critiquing for the aggressiveness, but I am fine with it. This is a pretty good example of how I drive, all the time. I try to plan way ahead, sometimes giving up some corner entry to have momentum on exit. Good example of that is the pass on Team Infinity in 7. I saw that I was not going to get even with the big car on the left so I swung back in behind them, overslowed a bit, then went for the inside line when Infinity went deep. Then lots of mirror checking to see where they were and that I was not going to chop them off going up to the next corner. Depending on corner exit, Infinity pulls us down the straights a bit.

The handling of the car was pretty wild for this stint as the tire pressures were 3-4 psi too high in the rear. The car has a welded diff as well (yes we claim it ;) ) which contributes to the looseness of the car. I kinda like the predictability of the welded as you can see I was comfortable enough to slide the car through 17. The big mistake in 16 was from me trying to stay wide open on the switchback to turning left for the setup for 16. I was not happy about that move, but knew nobody was around me and the worst case scenario was me ending up out in the grass.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, thewheelerZ said:

I agree, the KSR video looked pretty clean to me. I likely wouldn't have tired the move on the final corner going onto the front straight to pass the White E30 in the first part of the video, but that's just me (and I don't know the track either, so who am I to judge), but the rest looked good.

I guess when it comes down to it though, if you are blasting up the side of the track with cars getting off the line slowly, and get squeezed out there is a chance you could ruin a couple of people's day.  There isn't much you can do if the cars aren't going on green, but just be aware that not everyone has the skill and/or desire to win as you do! (Im not chastising, just saying please be ready for someone to do something stupid!)

Congrats to the KSR team though.  That car looks awesome.

Thanks, I try to think about every car as I am coming up on passing them. For that white e30 going into 17. I had remembered passing them earlier in 17 and they were leaving a lane and a half to the inside wall at the turn in point there. I watched their initial turn in expecting them to do the same as before, then committed to the inside pass. I would have pinched the wall and or bombed the brakes to avoid contact if needed as I do not want to have contact with another car. At normal race pace, that inside wall is my braking point and I do not use much brakes in 17 so I could have scrubbed a ton of MPH to avoid them had they wanted the lane that I was heading for. I think the most "forced" pass in that video was on the white Porsche in 15. He was following the Prelude pretty tight, then looked like he was leaving the inside lane open so I stuck the car in there.

I think my video is a great example of why we continually finish at the front. I do everything in my ability to get through traffic with the least amount loss of lap time for me and our other drivers do the same, though not to the same extent that I do. At both Daytona and Sebring I had zero contact with other cars.

15 minutes ago, SiberianDVM said:

Anytime a driver has to go wheels off to make a pass, and there were some in this 1 lap, then IMO it's super aggressive for CC. Sorry if that's too conservative for you. Maybe you missed the part where I acknowledged his talent. My point is that not all CC drivers are capable of driving that well consistently, and most never will be, no matter how many hours they spend in a dark room. No thanks, I've more enjoyable things to do.

You mean his "off" at 2:47? On the other side of the curbing is pavement, I don't consider that an off.  Low-risk pass IMO.  Or do you mean 8:15 he swings wide to take the last right onto the straight?  If they didn't want you to drive there they wouldn't have paved it.  Nobody was around so IMO no-risk.  Otherwise, I didn't see anywhere in the video where he's on the grass or dirt.  

The only "risky" moves I saw were:

• 0:37 the white BMW pass seems risky but you can tell with the way it takes a set that he wasn't aiming to pinch the wall.  Low-risk pass IMO.
  • 1:17 he passes 2 cars (BMW and 300ZX) and comes up on the inside of the black Camaro.  I consider this medium risk because Camaro may not have seen him steam up the inside past 2 other cars.  But you can tell by Camaro's line that he left a lane at the apex for some reason. 
  • At 4:31 it's funny to watch the thought process here, "is the left big car or the right big car gonna be faster through here?  I choose right!"  The sketchy part was coming up beside the Infiniti on corner exit, it looks like it might swing right to setup for the next turn, in which case it would have been a coming together.  Medium-risk IMO

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SiberianDVM said:

The only thing that I think could be considered an "off" was putting the two left sides inside of the curbing in Bishop's Bend? I only did that to make sure that I did not have contact with the BMW that I was passing, which looking at the video I did not even need to do. So if my being "aggressive" is making sure that I do not have contact with another car while I am passing them then I am good with that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SiberianDVM said:

Depending on the beholder's experience level, the driving exhibited by @CutlassRacer could be labeled anywhere from out of control to super aggressive to good racecraft. 

Edited by dimitri.mariutto
  • Like 4

Hey it was a renter who no longer runs with the team that crashed it last year. He made a low percentage attempt and lost. We have the car fixed now so that hopefully the air inlet tube does not fall off when there is contact so that the car could make it back to the pits under its own power. Had it not taken 20 minutes to get towed back to the pits for them to fix it last year, we maybe could have still won that one ;)

• Like 1

Kevin.  Thank you for a proper display of driving a race car.  The car control, track knowledge, situational awareness, and race craft you displayed are what every driver should be working towards. If every driver improved in these qualities then they too would be faster and there would be less wrecks, not more.

Your  success as a team is to be admired. Your cars are well built and planned, they are set up properly and turn as they should. Your race strategy impeccable. You teach race craft;  safe driving and taking care of the car is expected on your team.

Congrats!

Edited by kevlow
  • Like 6