Bill Strong

Official Race Reports - 2016 Atlanta Motorsports Park (AMP)

On 10/29/2016 at 3:31 PM, Ron_e said:

Another podium dominating performance by all the Mustangs, Camaros, Trans Ams... oh wait, only one class D car in the entire field and it was a Camaro finishing in 8th place and 10 laps off the lead.  Good thing they are getting bumped up by 50 points next year.

Ron_e, be fair. That car was very fast at a track that is more about handling than horsepower. I can only imagine what it could do at a horsepower track. Not sure why they only finished eighth but they seemed to have a podium capable car based on pure speed. Maybe an additional fifty points isn't enough?  :huh:

I thought the BMW M3 was very courteous and easy to see with the orange nose, even though it is the same color as our orange 02. I am curious about the miata team that got a 30 min penalty and mandatory driver change, silver miata, I believe it was the same one that hit me at turn 13 in our first stint Sunday and put us out of the race with a bent center track rod, right control arm and tie rod. 99% of people were clean and courtesy, it was easy to let people by on the inside of the track out down the hill at 13, but they got impatient. Fun track and general very clean drivers. More spares next time...

The #229 E30 had 2 solid days, considering we were running tires that ran VIR and Sebring!! Our 18th place finish on Saturday was cool, since we consistently run mid-pack. This track is not ideal for our cheaty, swapped BMW but it is much fun!! On old tires it felt we were driving a cruise ship!! Other than some kind of kerfuffal with the GT 30 on Sunday which resulted in our first ever black flag, we did well. I was told after the Sunday race was over that we were spilling fuel on the left handers. That was a common issue all weekend, from what I saw. But apologies if we were dumping gas. I will fix that. We tried to stay clear of the faster cars, my shoulder is sore from point bys!! Thanks to Andrea for fun Halloween stuff!! We loaned a spare tire to Randy Pobst to run on the JAS car, then got to see it go by as he passed me!!! What a blast!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 996TwinTurbo said:

Anyone else think the EC cars are getting out of hand?  It was OK at AMP where the speed differential isn't as high - but if this was Road Atlanta or Sebring it would have been much more dangerous.   I will say the BMW drove a great clean race and was very courteous.  

I'm just worried the race series starts getting too far away from what it was intended for as well as for safety reasons with the wide mix of cars and experience.

You should bring out that 996 twin turbo & show those EC cars.

1 hour ago, 996TwinTurbo said:

Anyone else think the EC cars are getting out of hand?  It was OK at AMP where the speed differential isn't as high - but if this was Road Atlanta or Sebring it would have been much more dangerous.   I will say the BMW drove a great clean race and was very courteous.  

I'm just worried the race series starts getting too far away from what it was intended for as well as for safety reasons with the wide mix of cars and experience.

You should bring out that 996 twin turbo & show those EC cars.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BigMoneyWasters said:

The #229 E30 had 2 solid days, considering we were running tires that ran VIR and Sebring!! Our 18th place finish on Saturday was cool, since we consistently run mid-pack. This track is not ideal for our cheaty, swapped BMW but it is much fun!! On old tires it felt we were driving a cruise ship!! Other than some kind of kerfuffal with the GT 30 on Sunday which resulted in our first ever black flag, we did well. I was told after the Sunday race was over that we were spilling fuel on the left handers. That was a common issue all weekend, from what I saw. But apologies if we were dumping gas. I will fix that. We tried to stay clear of the faster cars, my shoulder is sore from point bys!! Thanks to Andrea for fun Halloween stuff!! We loaned a spare tire to Randy Pobst to run on the JAS car, then got to see it go by as he passed me!!! What a blast!!!

As far as fuel spillage, check everything behind the fuel filler door and the covering plate in the wheel well that vents the tank and where the overflow goes. That is assuming the low pressure pump seal has not gotten "displaced" when you rotate the pump in. But I bet you knew that...

• Like 1

I believe the fuel issue dates back to the incident a rental driver had when he spun and pancaked the right side of the car at Road Atlanta. The filler neck was hit pretty hard. Thanks for the input. I will definitely fix it because I hate to be behind a car spilling fuel, so I don't want to be "that guy".

• Like 1

I followed your car for many laps Sunday and it was pouring fuel in both carousels. I was surprised that it kept doing it lap after lap - some cars lose a little fuel after a pit stop but yours kept leaking for at least 15 minutes. I didn't have the speed to pass so I had to be extremely careful to avoid the line of fuel in all the left hand corners.

I'm not a big fan of calling cars out while I'm driving, I know we've had issues in the past and the fuel thing usually goes away within a lap. I was just surprised at how much fuel you were losing over time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigMoneyWasters said:

I believe the fuel issue dates back to the incident a rental driver had when he spun and pancaked the right side of the car at Road Atlanta. The filler neck was hit pretty hard. Thanks for the input. I will definitely fix it because I hate to be behind a car spilling fuel, so I don't want to be "that guy".

Yeah...we were "that guy" at Barber last year. Found out later that the overflow line from the tank had slipped off the expansion tank. It will dump a lot for a long time especially with those 2 rather long left handed carousels at AMP. That braided rubber hose behind that longish metal plate that passes behind the shock also tends to rot out. A new one is somewhat of a beach to feed through the small hole that goes through to the tank, but its manageable. We oiled ours up a bit to make it easier. I suspect some silicone spray would do the trick as well to make it easier.

• Like 1

The Miata's were the biggest offender of fuel spillage that we saw in T6 this weekend.  Called in plenty of them on Sunday- Saturday wasn't that many.

Big weekend. Lots of ups and downs.

1. I got just a few hours sleep all weekend. Including getting home at 2am and then up at 6 to go to work.

2. Camera setup kinda worked. AT&T seemed to be the best network to use. Unfortunately I have Verizon and Sprint.

3. The car I came to race broke 10 minutes in. I did get a pace lap in the pace car as a passenger.

4. The other V6 MR2 team asked me to drive their car in exchange for setup help and review. I did a 1:37.3 on a track I had never driven on, in a car that had too much rear lockup and plowed worse than a snow plow in Atlanta.I got the car up to 10th, ran it out of gas fairly quickly, and then the team worked their way up to 4th, until they had a black flag issue. They are going to the VIR Chumpionship! Good guys, very coool car. Thanks again! That was a blast!

5. My interviews never recorded because of a loss of network signal. 

6. Chip looked awesome behind the timing and scoring computer as seen by the image below

LloydBridges-badweektoquitsniffingglue.jpg

• Like 2

Just so it's clear- that's me in the background in the above photo-

Bill's in the foreground after spending hours getting all the video camera cables correctly routed...

Fun weekend for sure

1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

Big weekend. Lots of ups and downs.

1. I got just a few hours sleep all weekend. Including getting home at 2am and then up at 6 to go to work.

2. Camera setup kinda worked. AT&T seemed to be the best network to use. Unfortunately I have Verizon and Sprint.

3. The car I came to race broke 10 minutes in. I did get a pace lap in the pace car as a passenger.

4. The other V6 MR2 team asked me to drive their car in exchange for setup help and review. I did a 1:37.3 on a track I had never driven on, in a car that had too much rear lockup and plowed worse than a snow plow in Atlanta.I got the car up to 10th, ran it out of gas fairly quickly, and then the team worked their way up to 4th, until they had a black flag issue. They are going to the VIR Chumpionship! Good guys, very coool car. Thanks again! That was a blast!

5. My interviews never recorded because of a loss of network signal. 

6. Chip looked awesome behind the timing and scoring computer as seen by the image below

LloydBridges-badweektoquitsniffingglue.jpg

No wonder I can't find my interview...

AT&T sucked for me. Sometime Saturday afternoon I couldn't even get the Brew Krewe FB page to load so I could post photos and race updates. Probably some dude hogging all the bandwidth...

Glad you got home safe Bill. Thats a pretty rough schedule...

6 hours ago, mindspin311 said:

Oh sweet, we made a thread about AMP more about cars that are or are not winning.

Cool.

Get that shizz out of there and go debate in the MPV thread.

Whatever, it seemed to be OK when the E36 was unfairly treated and EVERY thread evolved into a BMW discussion.  Then it seemed like the squeaky wheel got the grease so I am running with that theory.  Nothing really to debate when you are intentionally double dipped.

#363 Rolling RoadBlock Racing's first race as a team is in the books and we ran into a couple problems through out the race with trying to get the engine not to burp after a few laps but our team kept working at it and trying to find solutions while each of our guys got turns in the car and ran it until the car started to burp again. All-in-All I think we accomplished our basic goals of keeping the car in one piece and getting everyone a chance to race. All of our drivers picked up in speed from day one to day two which was a boost of confidence and the car picked up 6 seconds in our best time from Saturday to Sunday as well. Really looking forward to making improvements to the car since it was bone stock and getting out there at VIR in March and seeing how much we can improve as a team. Big thank you to all of the ChumpCar Staff and volunteers, The Racing Analytics guys for helping us so much to try and sort out or issues and all of the other teams who were so gracious with us as this was one awesome learning experience for the team. 

14858558_10154777053871015_518124652_o.jpg

• Like 4

To the guys in the EC Mustang, if they're on here.  Sorry, I ran you in the grass during the first hour of the race.  I wasn't expecting you to close as quickly as you did!  I meant to come down and tell you, but never made it to your stall.

I worked really hard to get everything repaired from VIR. New full stainless exhaust system that was so quiet that we could barely hear our car on track which was a big help at AMP to not get a noise black flag.  Replaced the front end sheet metal and sprayed the car with Rustoleum, I completely misremembered just how long it took to fabricate all the pieces of the front splitter assy but I got it done and painted too. I was already running late when I left the shop and saw one of the trailer wheels wobbling, checked and wheel bearing was out. I had to replace the outer bearing, at least I was able to do it at the shop with plenty of tools and a parts washer.

We never got to show how far up the order we could have been running since we gave up laps at the start of both days, Saturday morning I was watching the cars on the warm up lap and remembered that I hadn’t installed the transponder… called the driver in and installed it just as the race was starting, good thing he came out in the lead pack and was running with the lead pack cars for most of the first hour and had fast lap of the race until we got black flagged. Corner workers reported that the 257 Neon initiated contact with our car and my driver retaliated by spinning him out, 10 minute penalty for both cars. That seemed highly suspect since the driver in the car was 71 years old and not exactly someone to come down with the red mist. The closed circuit video didn't show anything but I was able to show video from my car to Phil, it showed that we were following the Neon down the hill into 6 and nowhere near any contact, the Neon made a crazy dive-bomb pass on another car on the inside of 6 and ran wide into the newly paved runoff, as he was trying to get back on the track he lost control and spun right in front of my driver who had nowhere to go. Phil did the right thing and gave us our laps back even though it was moot at that point, I tried to argue that the Neon should get his laps back too since there wasn't any bad intent just a racing mistake but no luck. I will try to post my videos in a day or so.

This is how our transmission looked when the car started filling up with smoke.

IMG_20161031_102927_01_zpsaqvqlkhr.jpg

Turns out the rear universal joint was bad which caused a vibration and broke the tailshaft housing all the way around right behind the transmission mount. We came in and put a transmission in the car and went back out but after thinking about it we decided to retire the car and prepare it for Sunday. I took the tailshaft housing off of transmission 3 and installed it on the broken one since it was our best transmission and put it back in the car, the bad thing was that our spare driveshaft was back in Asheville. I borrowed my mom’s Kia and headed to my house where I picked up our spare driveshaft, new transmission mount, and new output shaft seal, made it back to mom's house by 11:30. Got to the track early Sunday morning and buttoned up the new transmission and driveshaft install.

Started the day off Sunday running with the lead  pack when a half hour into the race we got called in for no brake lights, the ground wires for both lights broke off right at the ring connector bolted to the ground stud. Obviously that was a problem since it broke again a couple of hours later so this time I connected both wires to a 6 inch piece of 12 gauge wire and then connected that to the ground stud. After we repaired the brake lights we came back out again with the lead pack and had some great battles with Black Eyed Smurf and Cone Crushers and was eventually able to pass and pull away from them, even with 2 pit stops to repair the brake lights we were running in the top 5 not counting EC and had plenty of time to make up more positions. The car was running great when we put in our 3rd driver but when he started the car to go out it sounded off and he reported that it had no power, sure enough no compression on the front rotor…

It was a tough race with so much potential but no finish at all to show for it but we will be back.

Edited by mhr650
  • Like 2

Now I know why you're so good at transmission repairs, Mike. Holy crap, THAT's a failure! When it was running Sunday morning the 787 car looked great and was MOVING!

• Like 1

Thank you ChumpCar for a fun weekend at AMP!

Debut of our new car… disaster all the way.  Further development needed clearly…  But to be honest that was to be expected by absolutely everyone.  (My Dad wanted me to build a Mustang when he read the rules, currently I regret my decision not to listen)

Ron_e,

Sorry there was only one ‘D’ car in the field at the tightest track in the south east… AMP is NOT Daytona.  It is a light agile car track look up the results every year. 

Big Money,

Your gas was leaking both days. I thought it was just a nearly full tank deal.  It evaporated quickly and I didn’t avert my line an iota for it.  Wasn’t a deal for me when I was on your bumper unless it is what made me spin a lap later in front of you.  Thank you, for missing me when I ran out of talent.

I don’t think me or my co-driver were on track long enough to make too many people mad.  We had fun when the car was working right… had sour grapes in our mouth when it wasn’t.  We don’t have any body work to do just seemingly everything else.

If anyone actually took a photo of our elusive car on track I’d love to send it to the girl we bought it from. 

Thank you all for the fun!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben 595 said:

Thank you ChumpCar for a fun weekend at AMP!

Debut of our new car… disaster all the way.  Further development needed clearly…  But to be honest that was to be expected by absolutely everyone.  (My Dad wanted me to build a Mustang when he read the rules, currently I regret my decision not to listen)

Ron_e,

Sorry there was only one ‘D’ car in the field at the tightest track in the south east… AMP is NOT Daytona.  It is a light agile car track look up the results every year. 

Big Money,

Your gas was leaking both days. I thought it was just a nearly full tank deal.  It evaporated quickly and I didn’t avert my line an iota for it.  Wasn’t a deal for me when I was on your bumper unless it is what made me spin a lap later in front of you.  Thank you, for missing me when I ran out of talent.

I don’t think me or my co-driver were on track long enough to make too many people mad.  We had fun when the car was working right… had sour grapes in our mouth when it wasn’t.  We don’t have any body work to do just seemingly everything else.

If anyone actually took a photo of our elusive car on track I’d love to send it to the girl we bought it from. 

Thank you all for the fun!

Which car?

Edit: Nevermind. I went and looked at mylaps and figured out 595 Lincoln. I thought you guys did fairly well. I remember at one point you were catching me in #80 Sunday morning, then I look up in mirror and see the car sideways out of a turn. I think it was you, at least....

Here you go. Just posted on FB.

Edited by jakks

11 hours ago, 996TwinTurbo said:

Not sure what the problem was - the M3 showed up in perfect condition and left, as far as I know without a dent on it.  They ran a really clean race.  We were in the Black MX5 #688 EC - finished 9th overall - 3rd in EC on Sunday, could have been a lot better if not for a tire wall touch that cost us 8 minutes.  I don't think we caused anyone any issues and everyone still got the trophys they earned.

In Charlotte, a high speed track, we were 1st in EC, 6th overall, again no issues or bumps with anyone.

We are certainly not blowing people off the track with our Mazda, we just try to stay on track and make good pit stops.

Exactlly how are the EC cars getting out of hand?

Edited by tomphot
  • Like 4