Bill Strong

2017 ChumpCar World Series Rules - FINAL

5 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

When you can't bolt up the engine mount because the manifold runs into the K member as it points straight down, yes it is kind of bad.

12 minutes ago, Evilwheel said:

I almost threw up.

Cleaned that up a little

20 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Loosing the stock explorer header is a bad thing?!? s-l300.jpg

ford%20exhaust%20manifolds%20357.jpg

I would gladly pay $25points for ponies unleashed, if 25pts were unavailable then some collector cutting would happen.:o;)

Edited by Team Infiniti

I can almost double my HP (from 135 to 250hp) and only get a TOTAL VPI of 284!!!

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

Great rules!

Now I only need to figure out a swap for $1500....

8 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

The formula is wrong and will be fixed. 

Stay tuned. it is being sorted.

I'm just going to quote this to bring it to page 6 since it looks like several of you missed it.

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, enginerd said:

I'm just going to quote this to bring it to page 6 since it looks like several of you missed it.

Darn....:)

If I decide to do a rebuild with stock components that does NOT count towards the $1500 right? So I could buy an engine for $1500, replace pistons (with stock) and it would still be a valid swap?

5 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

Darn....:)

If I decide to do a rebuild with stock components that does NOT count towards the $1500 right? So I could buy an engine for $1500, replace pistons (with stock) and it would still be a valid swap?

I would assume so based on this rule:

4.7.6. Teams may replace any worn, broken, ventilated, impaled, defective, or bent-beyond-allrecognition parts on their car without affecting their total points so long as it’s an OEM or OEMequivalent part for that car’s specific model

You raise a very interesting question though... 'does this allow you to buy an engine which is junk with a warped head, bent valves, etc. etc. to fit under the $1500 limit, and then bring it up to snuff with rule 4.7.6 (spending a lot of money to do so) when in actuality, this hypothetical engine would be well over $1500 if you bought one in good condition?' (not sure how many engines would fall under this category since to be a swap candidate, the engine needs to come from a car on the VPI table)

Edited by enginerd

4 hours ago, Evilwheel said:

Excellent thought !  But we've already been told that wouldn't fly. :(

I even have a donor with only 100k miles standing by... 

1469211218177.jpg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NukeProof said:

I even have a donor with only 100k miles standing by... 

1469211218177.jpg

Shame they won't let it happen.   We'd build new if it were true.  Know all the shortcuts already and could put a way lighter car on track if we could start from scratch.

3 hours ago, FLChuck said:

With the new swap rules I was already looking foward to a possible PT turbo swap they range from 180 to 230hp but if I have to start with 550pts might as well buy an SRT4 and take the 5 laps or start over on another platform.

If your putting an EDV in a stock Neon your creating a car with SRT4 performance levels, so yeah, you might as well start with an SRT4. 

I think an SRT4 at 550 points is actually insane, that is a better than 10:1 pwr car...

Edited by ElectricGold

1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

I feel like this now

It's funny, 30 seconds ago I googled to determine the name/artist of that song.  Then I come on here and find the answer again.

9.8.1. Each car competing in a ChumpCar event shall display the official ChumpCar World Series banner at the top of the windshield.

As a taller person, my visibility is already a bit limited.  I cannot comply with this rule.

Edited by Snrub
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, LAMR2 said:

You can get FIA homologated seats for $400. How is that a deal-breaker?

If you don't understand how that breaks teams, then just give up...

Glad to see that they are going to change the wording on seats, or we would be looking elsewhere for our racing fix.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2016 at 0:28 AM, mostmint said:

I am curious if we are going to have new ChumpCar decals for the top of the windshield:

9.8.1. Each car competing in a ChumpCar event shall display the official ChumpCar World Series banner at the top of the windshield.

Stupid.  I understand branding and all but Chumpcar is already on the car a minimum of 3 times on each # plate....   If you start asking teams to choose between the series and a sponsor they will just go to another series.   How does this rule help CC or its team/members?    

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Snake said:

Stupid.  I understand branding and all but Chumpcar is already on the car a minimum of 3 times on each # plate....   If you start asking teams to choose between the series and a sponsor they will just go to another series.   How does this rule help CC or its team/members?    

Went through this 20 some years ago with SCCA National Autocross program.  People had complete fits, making bystanders think that putting a Tirerack banner on the windshield was similar to cutting off a limb with a rusty spoon.  Then.....they put the banner on and its been there ever since.  

The windshield banner is probably the most visible and readable in most photos.    My only surprise is that it hasn't been there since the beginning.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Snake said:

Seriously your bitching over a windshield banner ?     I also think that chump should require series patches on uniforms,   I'm sure that would go over big with what I'm reading over the windshield banners.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, KDJones2000 said:

Glad to see that they are going to change the wording on seats, or we would be looking elsewhere for our racing fix.

I agree with this completely, other than the roll cage our Kirkey seat is probably the most expensive thing in the car and does really well for all of our drivers. If we had to replace it we would find it hard to put the budget together with what all we need to do to the car itself to make it worth our effort. For some of the teams around here $400 on top of everything else is quite a stretch. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Evilwheel said:

Shame they won't let it happen.   We'd build new if it were true.  Know all the shortcuts already and could put a way lighter car on track if we could start from scratch.

Does the platform swap rule help out here or did it never come with the DOHC n/a?

51 minutes ago, Snake said:

We have a new series sponsor, and they get that section of the window. They paid good money to advertise their services. This money will help ChumpCar grow. This is how it helps ChumpCar.

• Like 12

Something else is that you get your fenders back. 

Sponsor decals will now be on one sheet, that will either fit in front of the CCWS number panel or under it. You will have two choices. No more will you have sponsor decals all over your car. We will make it easy for you.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, KDJones2000 said:

Bit harsh with your wording dontcha think?

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/product/10/45300/SEAT-ALUMINUM-15-DELUXE-ROAD-RACE-18-LAYBACK-CONTAINMENT

This is the seat we also purchased for our Chumpcar. We economized on everything else but thought we had gone all out on the seat. It's a stout piece, I feel my drivers and I are as safe as possible using it. I can't see why it is being disallowed.

7 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

We have a new series sponsor, and they get that section of the window. They paid good money to advertise their services. This money will help ChumpCar grow. This is how it helps ChumpCar.

So Bill your saying you have already given the windshield spot to a sponsor, or should I say sold it?? So does that mean the new requirement is not to be followed by all??

Someone might need to rethink the requirement then. Just looking for clarification for all.