Official VIR Eastern Championship Results

DuncanDana

1 minute ago, Racer28173 said:

Please explain 

Watching the live stream on racecast.me / facebooklive, when cars got to impound GWR was in 7ish place but was still up on jack stands (normally it's just top 5). Bill went down the row interviewing teams, and when he got to GWR he found Will frantically uploading video from a gopro to a laptop... "can't talk, have to find video for an incident protest" (or some collection of words to that effect).

And here they are on the official list in 3rd place, so something must have changed. Perhaps they were held for a 5 minute penalty which they didn't deserve. 

• Like 2

• Technical Advisory Committee

I'd be interested in an official explanation.  

We had 2nd wrapped and we're just cruising.  If they had gained back one more lap and we coulda cought them, wow.  Scary thought.

We passed them when they came in to fix a loose fender.

• Administrators

I am not the official voice on this... but there was an issue with two cars hitting each other. Each team put the blame on the other. Video would prove who was at fault. 

I later spoke with the GWR team, but am still confused as to what happened. I thought it best not to go live and just let it work it's way out on the Internets.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

I am not the official voice on this... but there was an issue with two cars hitting each other. Each team put the blame on the other. Video would prove who was at fault. 

I later spoke with the GWR team, but am still confused as to what happened. I thought it best not to go live and just let it work it's way out on the Internets.

Both cars were black flagged for contact.  Our car came in and served the penalty, the 691 car stayed out and kept turning laps while his team captain and I discussed the incident with Mike.  We agreed that if the video showed GWR wasn't at fault for the contact, we would get 3 laps added at the end of the race (the length of our penalty), and if it showed the other car at fault, they would be penalized 3 laps.  Video showed no fault for GWR, so we got the laps back.  I wasn't involved in the post-race discussions with the 691 team, so I don't know anything other than that they were not assigned extra laps after the race.

And sorry Bill for the deer in the headlights look at impound - my computer was showing the SD card as corrupted, and I got the Blue Screen of Death right as you were walking up.  Luckily Dana's computer could read the card without crashing and we got it all sorted out.

• Like 9

On Monday, December 05, 2016 at 4:53 PM, takjak2 said:

Not just the fastest average laptime, but also the closest racing this year. Well, except two offenders. ("Not Banned Yet" was 3rd and the eventual winners had the 5th best laptime).

VIRnorth.png

Wonder how far to extrapolate 2017 speed creep given the competition and rules changes. We expect about a sec gain next near given new rule allowances, which would get us in low 1:44 to high 1:43 range. Big brake upgrades coming.....

• Administrators
On 12/5/2016 at 8:16 PM, Hi_Im_Will said:

And sorry Bill for the deer in the headlights look at impound - my computer was showing the SD card as corrupted, and I got the Blue Screen of Death right as you were walking up.  Luckily Dana's computer could read the card without crashing and we got it all sorted out.

No worries man. I am beginning to learn how to read the faces of the guys I am about to interview. Like should I ask that question? or leave it for when I am behind a keyboard?'

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bill Strong said:

No worries man. I am beginning to learn how to read the faces of the guys I am about to interview. Like should I ask that question? or leave it for when I am behind a keyboard?'

I can so see you in some sort of tactical gear for those "sensitive" questions on pit row or at impound. :lol: RoboChump!!!

5 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

Like should I ask that question? or leave it for when I am behind a keyboard?'

Bill - "hello sir... fast BMW you have there... what was the winning formula?"

Guy - "Oh we just run consistently... that's all there is to it"

Bill - "any other keys to success you want to share *cough 2.9 litre stroker engine cough cough* ?"

Guy - <redirecting> "Didn't a honda just win? We should all be sharpening our pitchforks!"

• Like 7

On 12/5/2016 at 3:53 PM, takjak2 said:

Not just the fastest average laptime, but also the closest racing this year. Well, except two offenders. ("Not Banned Yet" was 3rd and the eventual winners had the 5th best laptime).

VIRnorth.png

So outside of the 2 really fast cars (where they EC?)  Looks like more teams catching up to the fast teams.  Instead of 4 teams under 1;45  there are 8 and the fastest of them only improved .5 seconds.  Just under .5% improvement.  That to me is in the noise range of driver experience, track conditions, etc etc   I think its good to see more teams running with the leaders.  If next year the fast time is something like 1:42.5 and everyone else is under 1:48 wouldn't that be a good thing?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

So outside of the 2 really fast cars (where they EC?)  Looks like more teams catching up to the fast teams.  Instead of 4 teams under 1;45  there are 8 and the fastest of them only improved .5 seconds.  Just under .5% improvement.  That to me is in the noise range of driver experience, track conditions, etc etc   I think its good to see more teams running with the leaders.  If next year the fast time is something like 1:42.5 and everyone else is under 1:48 wouldn't that be a good thing?

Yes, racing was closer this year (smaller standard deviation) and that's a good thing. CMD Racing is EC but Blitzvinning is a D class car. The fact that they can run up to 9 seconds a lap faster than the average car is the concern. That's some serious closing speed. The other issue is a correlation between speed and running costs. Whether it's better brakes, more tires, or the chase for more power, it takes the series further away from "real cheap".

Would chumpcar allow a NASA TTB built Honda S2000 to compete at 500 points? Because that's the sort of laptimes Blitzvinning was allowed.

• Like 3

• Administrators

can you really compare a 10,000 rpm 2 liter to a 6 liter running at 7000rpm with parts that cost pennies on the dollar at Summit Racing / Speedway Motors / Jegs compared to the $$$ need to run the honda engine?

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I can so see you in some sort of tactical gear for those "sensitive" questions on pit row or at impound. :lol: RoboChump!!!

I'm reminded of the unpleasantness between Kurt Busch and Dr. Jerry Punch -- I was two seconds into the footage of the lead-up to the incident, and even I was saying, "For f***'s sake, Doc, tell the producers 'he doesn't want to be interviewed', and get your a** out of there!".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

can you really compare a 10,000 rpm 2 liter to a 6 liter running at 7000rpm with parts that cost pennies on the dollar at Summit Racing / Speedway Motors / Jegs compared to the $$$ need to run the honda engine?

Not to jump back into the Blitz arguement, but saying that the parts on that car cost "pennies" is way off the mark. I'm assuming some stuff was removed since they were a big topic 'round here since they're in D class but the car is still as fast as ever. 

And yes, a big, nose heavy v8 american car with 6 piston wilwoods will have higher consumable costs than a little japanese car with double wishbone suspension and smallish tires - but I dont think that's the point he was making.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

That thing had more money in AN fittings than I have in my whole engine.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

Couple things I have questions and comments on.  Will Blitz  be legal in next years rules?  (I'm guessing they think it will)  If they are running 7000 rpm all day long,  it aint no stinking stock bottom end,  top end, or in between end motor.  So have they claimed rods, pistons, roller rockers, etc  and what would those points be, they aren't listed.  Are they?

The point being made, I think was much more along the lines of closing speeds and safety, not how a given car got there.  

3 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

1000% agree with this.

Are we forgetting the YEARS that they ran without even finishing a race, much less winning anything?  They've paid their dues to get their car dialed in over a LONG time.  Thye have found every damn thing that will break, the hard way no less.

I LOVE the fact that they are running something other than a BWM or a Honda!

I want a Blitzvinnig sticker on my BMW!

-Chris

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trukk said:

Are we forgetting the YEARS that they ran without even finishing a race, much less winning anything?  They've paid their dues to get their car dialed in over a LONG time.  Thye have found every damn thing that will break, the hard way no less.

...and then they replaced the transmission with something worthy of an EC bump... and replaced the engine with god knows what...

ok ok all my info comes from the forums, but you get my point. A history of failure doesn't give you any pity points to run illegal stuff in my book. 

If Bill shows up with a... ... Porsche gt3 next year, we shouldn't say "oh, that's cool, he's  paid his dues in broken hubs so he can run that now". 

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, enginerd said:

...and then they replaced the transmission with something worthy of an EC bump... and replaced the engine with god knows what...

ok ok all my info comes from the forums, but you get my point. A history of failure doesn't give you any pity points to run illegal stuff in my book. 

If Bill shows up with a... ... Porsche gt3 next year, we shouldn't say "oh, that's cool, he's  paid his dues in broken hubs so he can run that now". 

This is where we differ though.  I think they've legally developed their car over time, and are not cheaterating.  Have you ever talked these guys at the track?

-Chris