turbogrill

FIA/SFI Seats for 2017??

Hi.,

Not sure if I have been drinking to much brakefluid but I thought FIA seats would be mandatory for 2017?

In section 3.3 they don't mention that.

thank

50 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

Hi.,

Not sure if I have been drinking to much brakefluid but I thought FIA seats would be mandatory for 2017?

In section 3.3 they don't mention that.

thank

It was redacted after members pointed out that the very popular and inexpensive kirkey dirt track seats (and others I'm sure) are not certified. Many teams were looking at $$$ to bring 2016 cars to 2017 seat spec.

• Like 2

Ok thanks!

I was in the same boat, have 10000 repairs to do. Buying and installing a new seat would suck.

(I am all about safety but I am not sure that a FIA sticker makes things more safe).

IMHO an FIA halo seat is a must. The plastic shell moves a lot to absorb impacts and a halo is the HANS for side impacts. All three of our cars have them, no looking back. Don't skimp on safety.

Of course having said that, it looks like I'm scheduled to drive a friends car with a crappy seat!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JStang1 said:

IMHO an FIA halo seat is a must. The plastic shell moves a lot to absorb impacts and a halo is the HANS for side impacts. All three of our cars have them, no looking back. Don't skimp on safety.

Of course having said that, it looks like I'm scheduled to drive a friends car with a crappy seat!!

I am concerned about getting out with a halo, biggest fear is being able to not get out in fire.

Can get out now but with a broken arm and messed up door/roof a halo might be an issue?

17 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

I am concerned about getting out with a halo, biggest fear is being able to not get out in fire.

Can get out now but with a broken arm and messed up door/roof a halo might be an issue?

Think of it like a seat belt.  Both halo and seat belt make it slightly harder to exit the car in a fire, but the halo ensures that when you try to get out, you still have a functioning spinal cord, just as the seat belt ensures you still have a functioning face.  

• Like 6

On 1/18/2017 at 8:35 PM, Hi_Im_Will said:

Think of it like a seat belt.  Both halo and seat belt make it slightly harder to exit the car in a fire, but the halo ensures that when you try to get out, you still have a functioning spinal cord, just as the seat belt ensures you still have a functioning face.  

With a Hans device and a halo seat I can not exit our car quickly.  I know this because we sold our halo seat for that exact reason.

We use a Kirkey road race seat, it is quite sufficient in my opinion. 

A cursory browse of what I have missed would appear to tell me that we no longer meet standard and therefore can't run with ChumpCar in 2017.

Gone three months, done in three minutes. 

58 minutes ago, dogtired said:

With a Hans device and a halo seat I can not exit our car quickly.  I know this because we sold our halo seat for that exact reason.

We use a Kirkey road race seat, it is quite sufficient in my opinion. 

A cursory browse of what I have missed would appear to tell me that we no longer meet standard and therefore can't run with ChumpCar in 2017.

Gone three months, done in three minutes. 

Your Kirkey seat is fine, Dog.

• Like 1

The use of a quick release steering hub makes exiting the car- Halo or not , much easier.

Halo seats are a must in racing- safety? why skimp.

They are more work to install, but worth it. Cut out the floor and tunnel if needed, and add structural elements to mount the seat base, do it right. I stuffed a large RaceTech halo into my sprint miata many years ago and it definitely made egress more difficult. It's a much better thing in a larger car, as our mustangs have nice, large interiors and door openings.

We have two OMP seats and one RaceTech seat. The RaceTech halo extends more forward than the OMP and the halo is not as well padded from the inside. Something my friend found out when he took a hard driver's side hit in a tire wall. He was concussed from the impact, but it could have been much worse without the halo, which stopped his helmet, while at the same time flexing laterally to prolong the length of deceleration. The amount of lateral motion is a little shocking to see in the videos from our sprint cars, but that's the way the seats are designed, and also why rigidly mounting a seat back rearward is not a good idea.

It's the window opening that creates the issue. I can't get around the wings of the seat and out of the car with a helmet and Hans.

I'd prefer a concussion over burning to death ..... but thanks for thinking of me. 

And we have a quick release wheel.

Edited by dogtired
  • Like 1

We have a new head box seat. It has pretty good head side coverage but still allows a decent exit.  I will post the part # and pics next week . Should be in place  by Feb 6.  

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1WPZB_enUS702US702&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=kirkey+71700&tbm=shop&spd=12846509387570883444

Edited by flyinglizard

16 hours ago, flyinglizard said:

We have a new head box seat. It has pretty good head side coverage but still allows a decent exit.  I will post the part # and pics next week . Should be in place  by Feb 6.  

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1WPZB_enUS702US702&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=kirkey+71700&tbm=shop&spd=12846509387570883444

We ran the Kirkey 71, its a great seat though you will really want to make sure you attach it at the back to the cage. Without that extra attachment the seat has a 'lot' of movement in it.

I saw this sweet seat available for sale this morning actually.  Comes with a spare AND a seat cover for only $45 ($60 CDN Firm).

FWIW, We have a Momo Daytona with halo and quick release wheel.  I was worried about getting out with a HANS on, but have never once caught it on the seat.  Even my 68 year old dad (with a bit of extra waistline) has no trouble getting out.

$_27.JPG

Ad here: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-transmission-drive-train/st-catharines/racing-seat-and-transmissions/1235168014?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

7 hours ago, theblue said:

@thewheelerZ I'm considering the Momo Daytona XL for a new seat.  can you elaborate on the fitment?  do you have the normal or XL? what sort of waist sizes fit?

XL. Nice seat. I'm 6'0", 175 lbs. 33" waist.  I fit in ok. A bit loose but definitely ok. My dad is 5'10", 235lb (38-40" waist? I have no idea!) and fits with no issues. We also have a couple of smaller guys that drove with us, but they need to be cinched down pretty tight with the belts!

On 1/30/2017 at 2:16 PM, DEE DEE said:

Adrian do you know if the beast mode guys are still around?

@DEE DEE - They are I believe yes, haven't personally seen them since VIR. I think they are doing some SCCA and other series at the moment, why do you ask.

I drove with Aaron & Zack  and was just wondering if they were OK I have not seen them in any chump results.

Edited by DEE DEE

On 1/18/2017 at 5:16 PM, JStang1 said:

There are a ton of halo seats out there that are not FIA and will never be. NASCAR spends a ton of money on crash research and has had aluminum (and carbon fiber) halo seats for many years, all rigidly mounted directly to the roll cage. It's only within the last few years that I've seen Racetech come out with an FIA seat that mounts similarly to the cage both with the base and the back of the seat. 

12 minutes ago, LateBreak said:

NASCAR spends a ton of money on crash research and has had aluminum (and carbon fiber) halo seats for many years, all rigidly mounted directly to the roll cage. It's only within the last few years that I've seen Racetech come out with an FIA seat that mounts similarly to the cage both with the base and the back of the seat. 

Here we go with seat back braces. NASCAR seats might be rigidly mounted, but FIA single piece composite seats should NOT be. They are meant to flex and absorb energy in an impact. A back brace puts all that energy right into the driver's spine. No thanks!

2 minutes ago, takjak2 said:

Here we go with seat back braces. NASCAR seats might be rigidly mounted, but FIA single piece composite seats should NOT be. They are meant to flex and absorb energy in an impact. A back brace puts all that energy right into the driver's spine. No thanks!

The reason that non-FIA seats need a back brace is because the back can flex and allow belts to loosen in a wreck. FIA seats and their mounting must be rigid enough to NOT flex in a wreck. I'm not suggesting that anyone go and drill through their FIA seat, merely that rigid seat mounting is a good thing when done properly and that FIA is not about flexing.

Also this Racetech seat is FIA certified but has upper mounting points for rigid mounting. Of course Racetech and FIA could both be wrong too, who knows....
http://racetech-usa.com/shop/seats/RT4119-motorsport-seats

12 minutes ago, takjak2 said:

2 minutes ago, LateBreak said:

The reason that non-FIA seats need a back brace is because the back can flex and allow belts to loosen in a wreck. FIA seats and their mounting must be rigid enough to NOT flex in a wreck. I'm not suggesting that anyone go and drill through their FIA seat, merely that rigid seat mounting is a good thing when done properly and that FIA is not about flexing.

Also this Racetech seat is FIA certified but has upper mounting points for rigid mounting. Of course Racetech and FIA could both be wrong too, who knows....
http://racetech-usa.com/shop/seats/RT4119-motorsport-seats

Simple solution - follow the mfg recommendation for whatever seat you buy.  Pick a seat designed to be mounted the way you intend to install it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hi_Im_Will said:

Simple solution - follow the mfg recommendation for whatever seat you buy.  Pick a seat designed to be mounted the way you intend to install it. 

Obviously yes, my original point was merely that saying 'IMHO an FIA halo seat is a must.' misses the fact that there are a ton of safe seats without FIA certification....

Just now, LateBreak said:

Obviously yes, my original point was merely that saying 'IMHO an FIA halo seat is a must.' misses the fact that there are a ton of safe seats without FIA certification....

Sure.  Halo is just an extra safety feature, and FIA or SFI certification means it passed a given set of tests. They're just easy indicators of a base level of safety.