Federal Rs-RR Tires?

Gearhead_42

Anyone tried the updated Federal RS-RR tires? That's (2) Arrr's for the pirates.  Grip to dollar ratio seems really good, I'm reading reviews saying comparable grip to RS3's with a stiffer sidewall... though track life seems to be an unknown at this point.

I'm tempted to try them in the spring as my dual purpose tire while the 2018 racecar is serving double duty daily/track rat.  Under $600 for a set of four is tough to beat.

Not to mention, RS-4 is beginning to trickle out from Hankook?  Grip is up, life is down, similar to a Bridgestone?

5 minutes ago, bendawson3 said:

I've seen the same tire with different tread wear ratings for different sizes a couple of times. Not sure if that's the case here 

I have seen that too on their web site.  I sent them an e-mail asking about it.  That was a few years ago and I'm still waiting for an answer.  It drives me nuts when a company has a place to ask a question but never replies.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

I have seen that too on their web site.  I sent them an e-mail asking about it.  That was a few years ago and I'm still waiting for an answer.  It drives me nuts when a company has a place to ask a question but never replies.  

Did you translate your English to Chinese?:D

2 hours ago, bendawson3 said:

I've seen the same tire with different tread wear ratings for different sizes a couple of times. Not sure if that's the case here 

According to their website all sizes are rated at 140TW, if you go here: http://www.federaltire.com/en/products_detail.php?products_detail_sn=36 and then select 'Global Market' it gives all the specs.

It’s cool how you can actually see where the cut out the 140 and installed an insert in the mold for the 200. With the new rules and the 200TW tire wars going full blast I don’t expect to see many more tires released that are not 200TW rated. I was a bit surprised that the new Toyo R888R was released as a 100TW tire, I expected them to just rerate it as 200 to get in on the action. With the Hoosier-Conti connection should we be surprised if some of their race tires show up with either companies name on them, A 275-35-15 Hoosier with a token tread and a 200TW rating would be scary…

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gearhead_42 said:

Sidewall says otherwise... That sure looks like a "200" to me.

1149317_Federal_FGRSRR_FG01-06@2x.jpg

Also, in stock at a 200TW catalog rating

https://simpletire.com/federal-p275-35r18-b4gm8bfa-tires

Lol, so much for the manufacturers website info. Thanks for posting that, I certainly didn't intend to misinform.

We used them on our Ecotec Miata at Laguna Seca this past weekend.

They took a few laps to warm up in the dry and wore a little faster than I expected on Saturday where it started wet and the track dried during the day. In the dry they were as good as the Falkens I usually run on my own car.

Sunday it started damp, dried a little then rained hard, I drove in the heavy rain and they were not good but it was my first time in the car and on the track so hard to compare to other tires.

One ref point, I was driving as hard as I could without spinning for the last hour and got passed by the Petty Cash Jeep running Falkens and at that point I wished I had Falkens!

<Disclaimer>

We did not heat cycle the tires

Edited by Brett85p
Added Disclaimer
  • Like 1