Race clutch? Spec stage 3/4 any good?

turbogrill

8 hours ago, turbogrill said:

Hi,

Our clutch has given up on us. I am looking into getting a more racier clutch than the stock but not sure what to look for.

What do I want? Something that grabs super "quick"?

Anyone have experience with the SPEC Stage3 or Stage4 clutch?

If you got good life out of old clutch why would you switch to something unproven?

the stickier the tire, the grabbier the clutch, the more willing to make the pass, the more eficient the pit stop, the less down time during the race, the more consistent the lap times, the harder you are willing to push, the most appropriate the strategy...blah blah blah.....no offense...make it all happen = podium....end of story...what are YOU willing to do...we leave it all on the table...win,loose,finish,dont finish...how hard will you push...we use action clutch stage 1 but are not big hp...never slips, wears like iron, stock(ish) replacement....not sure if action makes for your model but I highly recommend.

• Like 1

At the Sebring 10 hr, I broke the clutch hub on a stock clutch and stock-ish TQ (maybe 135 ft*lbs) after about 55 hrs and 1 circle track race. Not sure if that's considered a freak accident and will happen with an aftermarket brand just the same. Or should a clutch be replaced a time schedule and not by wearing out (loosing grip)?

We've had clutch "issues" a couple of times now - still TBD if it was a new oil leak that could have been the potential issue at December Sebring, or if it's an actual parts issue, such as weak clamping force.  

What I have discovered to date is its not that we make too much power, but I am really questioning the durability of cheap import parts. We've had more issues with "stock" parts.... After Sept Sebring I discovered the flywheel was not flat, thus preventing full face engagement of the disk. Nice. 

So once I get it ripped apart again, I'll assess whether or not we need better parts or not. Key being "better" not "Racey" parts, just something made in America perhaps. 

• Like 3

Had a similar issue in the past. I did not index the bell housing and went through 2 clutches in a month and a half. If you do not have a rear main leak check it out.

On Saturday, January 07, 2017 at 5:01 PM, pintodave said:

We've had clutch "issues" a couple of times now - still TBD if it was a new oil leak that could have been the potential issue at December Sebring, or if it's an actual parts issue, such as weak clamping force.  

What I have discovered to date is its not that we make too much power, but I am really questioning the durability of cheap import parts. We've had more issues with "stock" parts.... After Sept Sebring I discovered the flywheel was not flat, thus preventing full face engagement of the disk. Nice. 

So once I get it ripped apart again, I'll assess whether or not we need better parts or not. Key being "better" not "Racey" parts, just something made in America perhaps. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Von Montueful said:

Had a similar issue in the past. I did not index the bell housing and went through 2 clutches in a month and a half. If you do not have a rear main leak check it out.

That is a good point... I trust the factory GM/Borg-Warner stuff reasonably well, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't check it out to be safe... 

4 hours ago, LAMR2 said:

Right, but talking about it openly on the forum just seems a little bold to me.

I would rather talk about things seen @ track then let it silently fester.

This never before seen, random pic is over 3 years old, still I internally question if anything was declared. (not that it mattered, the car was strewn all over, it obviously did not help with reliability/speed but that is not the point)

photo_zpsc610ceb4.jpg

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 1

We run a 3550 in our current chumpcar. The bell is aluminum. As you know it is softer than iron so every time it is pulled it needs to be checked. Torque all bolts in star pattern etc.  We then install the bell, clutch,  TOB and trans OUTSIDE the car and install assembled. I do know you cannot install from the top but its something to think about if you do not have a leak.

Good luck to you in finding you culprit.

And have your drivers keep there foot of the clutch pedal when not shifting during the race.

Edited by Von Montueful
spelling

• Technical Advisory Committee
11 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

I would rather talk about things seen @ track then let it silently fester, this random pic was over 3 years ago and still internally question if anything was ever declared.

photo_zpsc610ceb4.jpg

WA  wa  oh that , we'll that is just our input shaft spline cleaner can't race with dirty gummed up splines now can we ....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

I would rather talk about things seen @ track then let it silently fester.

This never before seen random pic is over 3 years ago and still I internally question if anything was ever declared. (not that it mattered, the car was strewn all over, it obviously did not help with reliability/speed but that is not the point)

photo_zpsc610ceb4.jpg

Tech sheets on the window will be interesting won't they.....?

It seems to me, via observation, that the "race parts" are not always the best choice for our purpose.   How many race parts are built for drag racing where its manly to throw away parts after 6 or 8 passes because you have so much power, or cars going to cars and coffee that get one burnout a year and other wise driven 6 miles an hour so no rock chips happen.  And they're race parts so no warranty.  Sometimes they are better, sometimes not so much.  

5 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

sometimes not so much

Shhhhh, let em keep selecting inappropriate things :P

5 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

Tech sheets on the window will be interesting won't they.....?

And there is the issue, a car full of cheaty bits in hands of a unsuccessful team will be taken apart for all to see but no one will care as they are no threat to podium, on the other hand, the same car in proper hands, a potential winner, no one will be the wiser because they never expose their innards.

No need to get a dead horse involved, my comments are purely rhetorical.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Shhhhh, let em keep selecting inappropriate things :P

And there is the issue, a car full of cheaty bits in hands of a unsuccessful team will be apart for all to see but no one will care as they are no threat to podium, on the other hand, the same car in proper hands, a potential winner, no one will be the wiser because they never expose their innards.

No need to get a dead horse involved, my comments are purely rhetorical.

Aw shucks I was just going to the shed to drag out a dead horse. ;)

I have always used the exedy brand clutchs that are the stock replacement for our RX7.  Is running an Exedy clutch in our new swap something we should claim?  The engine we are putting in never had a manual trans behind it....

It WILL be claimed within the 1500$ swap total.

• Technical Advisory Committee
1 minute ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I have always used the exedy brand clutchs that are the stock replacement for our RX7.  Is running an Exedy clutch in our new swap something we should claim?  The engine we are putting in never had a manual trans behind it....

It WILL be claimed within the 1500$ swap total.

What swap are you doing?