Da Rules vs Da Forum

obxr

I've rented seats a few times over the last few years and now I'm considering entering my own car. I've been looking at the 2017 rules. Among other things, I looked for information about engine mods. I can't find anything that gives a noob (actually fielding a car for the first time) any guidance at all regarding basic things like head shaving or port matching (except for posts in the forum). I even searched the rules document for every instance of "engine" and "machining".

But from reading the forum, I find info about engines being built and engine mods discussed so I guess it is allowed and legal. Do basic machining mods incur points?  How are they handled - or are you free do anything with no points as long as you use a stock part? I feel like I'm missing some basic info from somewhere. Can someone fill me in or point me in the right direction? Is there a section of the rule book I'm missing?

Have not missed a thing.

Stock components for the configuration declared, port matching done with a dremel is fine, 3 angle valve job done @ a machine shop should be declared but I bet it never does as there is no way to police, same goes with shaved deck/head, you are fine with a clean up cut, but who is to say how much it took to "clean" it.

14 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Have not missed a thing.

Stock components for the configuration declared, port matching done with a dremel is fine, 3 angle valve job done @ a machine shop should be declared but I bet it never does as there is no way to police, same goes with shaved deck/head, you are fine with a clean up cut, but who is to say how much it took to "clean" it.

That's how it was, but now even if you declared it or someone found a way to police it, there is no reference to machine work or specialized tools costing points any more.

• Like 1

So I would say if you modified anything from OE spec, you should declare it.. many items will be zero or a few material points if you modified them vs bought something to replace it; many other items are free or open (like AN hoses)...  In reality I think teams really just focus on the tech sheet and that would be a good place for you to start.

Edited by Xph