Vehicle eligibility?

Bigmatt63

This is my first post ever. I recently learned about chumpcars in a YouTube binge, and I think I'm hooked. I have looked over the rules and am not sure that my question is answered in them. I have a lead on a vehicle that I think I want to build for this.  However, when I look up on the website what it's base point score is, it is too new and that year model is not offered. It is a 2006 Ford Taurus, with 3.0 v6 and a 5 speed manual swap, lowered, extra parts, two sets of wheels and tires. The asking price is $1000. When I search Ford Taurus in the menu, the newest model year is 2003. Is there a limit on how new a vehicle is, or can you plead your case based on value? How does it all work in starting with your base vehicle point rating?  Thanks!

• Like 1

Which 3.0, Vulcan or Duratec?  Not that it should matter but hopefully it's the DOHC V6 with 200 hp.

There are cars and years that aren't on the list only because no one has inquired about them yet. Since the Taurus didn't change platforms from 2000 to 2007, there shouldn't be any issues preventing you from getting a VPI for the 2006 that is the same as the 2003, or 350 pts.  Also, the manual swap will add another 25 points for a likely total of 375 points.

Email Mike Chisek to verify both of those though. Good luck and welcome!

Edited by mender
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Bigmatt63 said:

This is my first post ever. I recently learned about chumpcars in a YouTube binge, and I think I'm hooked. I have looked over the rules and am not sure that my question is answered in them. I have a lead on a vehicle that I think I want to build for this.  However, when I look up on the website what it's base point score is, it is too new and that year model is not offered. It is a 2006 Ford Taurus, with 3.0 v6 and a 5 speed manual swap, lowered, extra parts, two sets of wheels and tires. The asking price is $1000. When I search Ford Taurus in the menu, the newest model year is 2003. Is there a limit on how new a vehicle is, or can you plead your case based on value? How does it all work in starting with your base vehicle point rating?  Thanks!

Matt when you were watching those YouTube videos, did you notice many fairly heavy, front wheel drive cars?

• Like 1

I don't know how heavy a Taurus is, but there is a certain black Maxima in Central that tends to win quite a bit. And I had my doors blown off by a Stratus at Road America back in 2015.  It might work, but my 2 cents would be don't do it, unless you're just wanting to turn laps and have fun.

22 hours ago, Bigmatt63 said:

It is the Vulcan motor. Not as powerful, but a pretty reliable power plant. 

I live in Oklahoma City. Not sure what tracks I would go to yet. Preferably closer, haven't really looked at any upcoming events. 

You should do Harris Hill and COTA in Texas! 

Do you have a way to move your car? Trailer? UHaul?

You might want to check this out:

Much easier and cheaper to buy someone else's finished car than starting your own build. One weekend of driving to get the car gets you on the track for a fraction of the cost and you can start racing this year.

Edited by mender
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mender said:

You might want to check this out:

Much easier and cheaper to buy someone else's finished car than starting your own build. One weekend of driving to get the car gets you on the track for a fraction of the cost and you can start racing this year.

What fun is that? Did that gen of Furd come with a V8?