East/Central Qualifying Races

chisek

• Race Control

We have a lot of teams that live and race in the midwest down through TN and into AL.  This means their closest tracks may be in both the East and Central regions.  Because of their location, many of these teams would like to try and qualify for both the Central and Eastern Chumpionships.  Our rules say you must run at least two events in the region you are trying to qualify for, which means four races to qualify for two different regions.  Starting now, the following tracks will count towards qualifying a team in both the Central and the East:

Gingerman

National Corvette Museum

Barber

So for example, if you run Road America, NCM and Sebring you would be eligible to run in both the Central (RA) Chumpionship and the Eastern (AMP) Chumpionship.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's cool, great idea.   

On on the note of Chumpiansips and such, what Bill did in the west is pretty cool.  The Gold backed number panel for a points championship and gold banded panel for the Chumpiansip race win.  When are east and central joining in on the fun?  Consistency among the regions is a good thing.   

• Race Control
28 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

On on the note of Chumpionships and such, what Bill did in the west is pretty cool.  The Gold backed number panel for a points championship and gold banded panel for the Chumpionship race win.  When are east and central joining in on the fun?  Consistency among the regions is a good thing.   

I would appreciate some more feedback on this.  What do others think about the points and gold panels?

13 minutes ago, chisek said:

I would appreciate some more feedback on this.  What do others think about the points and gold panels?

Just an idle observation, but: While a points title sounds good, I'd like to see the points reflect "who did the most actual racing" - say "1 point per lap completed, plus 1 for the race win".

Points would be fun to put a finishing order on the teams for the season, but to keep everyone from getting crazy with it I wouldn't suggest any prizes other than what is already given.    Maybe just a sticker showing your points position for the top 10 finishers in each region ?    

And how many races would be required to be eligible ?   If you end up saying 4 then how would you ( can't believe I'm using this word ) police the teams that run 8, 9, or 10 or more races per year ?   I guess if a team is going to run in say 8 eastern region races, then have them pick 5 of them to have the points count toward the season and let them throw out the worst finish ???

Makes sense to me so far.    So I'll go another step.   Lowest points for the season wins, you win, you get one point.   You finish 50th you get 50 points, easy math.  Problem with points solved, thank you, than you very much.

The real strategy for teams to think about is what races do you want to declare towards the points ?   One that has 50 cars entered or one that has 100 ?   Which race does your car generally do better at,  AMP or Daytona, 50 or 60 cars at AMP, and over 100 at Daytona.    But now that's another can o' worms.   I doubt it would happen just for a sticker but if a team just declared all the races that have low turn outs historically then that kinda screws the system.

Alright I typed all this so I'll post it, but after reading it I can't see us having a points system like this.   So I just wasted a 1/2 hour thinking about it. :(   Some of it has merit but then there's the rest.  

Someone take the ball and run with it please, because short of all region races counting and having a different point value ( than above ) for finishes I can't see it working.

11 minutes ago, Evilwheel said:

Points would be fun to put a finishing order on the teams for the season, but to keep everyone from getting crazy with it I wouldn't suggest any prizes other than what is already given.    Maybe just a sticker showing your points position for the top 10 finishers in each region ?    

And how many races would be required to be eligible ?   If you end up saying 4 then how would you ( can't believe I'm using this word ) police the teams that run 8, 9, or 10 or more races per year ?   I guess if a team is going to run in say 8 eastern region races, then have them pick 5 of them to have the points count toward the season and let them throw out the worst finish ???

Makes sense to me so far.    So I'll go another step.   Lowest points for the season wins, you win, you get one point.   You finish 50th you get 50 points, easy math.  Problem with points solved, thank you, than you very much.

The real strategy for teams to think about is what races do you want to declare towards the points ?   One that has 50 cars entered or one that has 100 ?   Which race does your car generally do better at,  AMP or Daytona, 50 or 60 cars at AMP, and over 100 at Daytona.    But now that's another can o' worms.   I doubt it would happen just for a sticker but if a team just declared all the races that have low turn outs historically then that kinda screws the system.

Alright I typed all this so I'll post it, but after reading it I can't see us having a points system like this.   So I just wasted a 1/2 hour thinking about it. :(   Some of it has merit but then there's the rest.  

Someone take the ball and run with it please, because short of all region races counting and having a different point value ( than above ) for finishes I can't see it working.

If there's no money involved.. just a sticker or a special number panel, then the system need not be perfect. Teams who run a lot of events should  be rewarded in this kind of thing (only makes good business sense).

1 hour ago, red0 said:

Did west coast chumpionship winners get gold number panels and 3 free entries for the following year?

Yes I think that was also the case.

Mike I was not sure how Bill does his points tally but I do think it is kind of cool to have an extra goal for a top team in a region. It seemed to have some good support from the top three or four teams in the running at the start of the race and after eight hours that was down to two teams. 

I came up with the concept from my Alcohol Funny car days in NHRA. You could run as many races a tear as you wanted but you could only take points from 5 National events and 5 Points events. I ran 25 races total from NHRA and IHRA and took the best from those towards the championship. The best I could manage was 8th, but it was a BLAST!

So the way it worked this year was 6 races is what it took to be in the running for the Points Chumpionship since all of our races we double 8 or 7's, it was only 3 actual events. For the Points Chumpions this year, there were 7 teams that could have mathematically won the points Chumpionship which was cool. Even if you aren't in the points and run the Chumpionship, the gold band means you beet the best of the best of the year! I have enjoyed the points racing and plan to do it again unless told otherwise! Our racers seemed to have liked it and we will see if the interest grows. It is still a big deal to win the race even if you don't race enough to win the Points.

And yes, the points champion did get 3 free races for 2017, 2nd got 2 and 3rd received 1 race for 2017.

5 hours ago, chisek said:

58 minutes ago, FastCars said:

So the way it worked this year was 6 races is what it took to be in the running for the Points Chumpionship since all of our races we double 8 or 7's, it was only 3 actual events. For the Points Chumpions this year, there were 7 teams that could have mathematically won the points Chumpionship which was cool. Even if you aren't in the points and run the Chumpionship, the gold band means you beet the best of the best of the year! I have enjoyed the points racing and plan to do it again unless told otherwise! Our racers seemed to have liked it and we will see if the interest grows. It is still a big deal to win the race even if you don't race enough to win the Points.

And yes, the points champion did get 3 free races for 2017, 2nd got 2 and 3rd received 1 race for 2017.

I'm in the west and I think it was a nice gesture for sure.  It was another interesting twist to see how it plays out.  With our huge tow distances it didn't draw me to an extra race though it might have if tracks were within a couple of hours.  I agree with keeping it a very small token (gold panel only and maybe one free race for the winner) and not making it distract from the main focus.  Imagine the uproar it would have caused if it were in the year of the 400SX dominance and the final prize was something of large significance.

• Members

? on Barber. We ran Barber this year in 2016 late. The central Chumpionship is before Barber next year. Does that mean I have two races already for 2017 Chumpionship central region since it is a calendar year and Barber is after Chumpionships? If not there is not point in even including Barber as a part of an race towards any region. Sebring 2016 Dec also as that goes.

23 minutes ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

? on Barber. We ran Barber this year in 2016 late. The central Chumpionship is before Barber next year. Does that mean I have two races already for 2017 Chumpionship central region since it is a calendar year and Barber is after Chumpionships? If not there is not point in even including Barber as a part of an race towards any region. Sebring 2016 Dec also as that goes.

You need to finish in top 10 for it to count. 

7 hours ago, chisek said:

feedback

This comes up from time to time, sad to see it gaining attn again.

Like many people here, we have participated in a dozen versions of motorsport, in our case its all grassroots stuff, from fairgrounds demo derby, random arena events, to oval racing on saturday night.  Aside from all involving cars, there is one thing that has stood out, points or the lack of...........snip....... with reflection,  all have been fun in their own way but the top reason for moving on has been points fatigue,  i.e. the best fun has always been events where there was no points.

All points do is add complexity and eventually wear people thin trying to keep up, initially it seems fun but long run it can suck as its a reward to the best funded.

*off soapbox

saying that

Gold panels are cool!

8 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

This comes up from time to time, sad to see it gaining attn again.

Like many people here, we have participated in a dozen versions of motorsport, in our case its all grassroots stuff, from fairgrounds demo derby, random arena events, to oval racing on saturday night.  Aside from all involving cars, there is one thing that has stood out, points or the lack of...........snip....... with reflection,  all have been fun in their own way but the top reason for moving on has been points fatigue,  i.e. the best fun has always been events where there was no points.

All points do is add complexity and eventually wear people thin trying to keep up, initially it seems fun but long run it can suck as its a reward to the best funded.

*off soapbox

saying that

Gold panels are cool!

Solution....don't pay attention to the points.  Continue to race as you do now.  

34 minutes ago, skierman64 said:

I like what the "plan" is now. If  you want to run points, GREAT!!! If not, you are still running for the win and you still get something extra for the Chumpionship Race win whether you are running points or not!

Let's just HAVE FUN!!!

8 hours ago, skierman64 said:

While that is a viable option it is far from pleasant dealing with a points obsessed competitor when things do not go their way.

*Conversation overheard as the tow truck arrives to un-heap 2 car*

Points guy:  Didn't you see us coming? 

Me: Yeah but not till it was too late, what were you thinking?

Points guy : All we needed was 8 more points to clinch the season

Me: You are running 12th today I never expected a pass on the outside of 17!

Not trying to downplay a popular experiment of Bill, the east is a different beast, we do not need more aggression or excuses to stretch rules with the biggest checkbook!

While I admit to sounding like chicken little,it is hard to reflect and not remember all the baggage that goes along with points racing.

Edited by Team Infiniti