Convincing a coworker to build a 240sx

I am trying to convince a coworker of mine to build his rally-X 240SX into a chump car...  I dont know much about them or if they are a decent platform, although I dont see why they wouldnt be.  Can any of you Nissan guys help me sell him on why thats a great car to use and him thus being that much closer...

Base value: 350

Current Mod condition: Bone stock with BGF All Terrains...

• Technical Advisory Committee

What chassis  s13 or s14 ?   both are good the 14 is heavier and bigger  ..  we love ours ,handles great ,lots of Nissan upgrades available ,17 gal gas tank. . Just needs more power , but points allow that ... only downside  they are getting  hard to come by as drifters and circle trackers have used a lot of them up ..   

1 hour ago, skierman64 said:

e30s and e36s seem to do well with Macpherson struts.  

Sorry, I should have said modified Macpherson on the Mustang, not recommended for performance driving.  BMW MAY have done a SLIGHTLY better job here than Ford, I suspect.  

If only we could run SR20DET swapped S13's - they would make great chump cars.

The chassis is stout, and most of the weak links have been found by those who came before ye.

Tons of aftermarket support of varying quality and price.  

Hard to find really "quality" aftermarket OTS suspension - most of the stuff is driftastic crapola from the land-o-china

Brakes are stout - easily upgraded under the 2x to 300zx units or beyond.

KA24DE is a POS imo.  Fragile, difficult to work on, etc.   I was more than stoked to chunk that lump in the trash pile.

Beware, the 17gal gas tank is behind the rear diff - its in a pretty vulnerable spot for a wheel-to-wheel race car.  I would suggest fuel celling it for safety alone - plus the extra capacity cant hurt.  But all that weight behind the rear axle makes the handling change pretty dynamically as the fuel is burned off.  Also, the factory in-tank baffle is a weak POS, and I have broken two personally.  When the spot welds break, the fuel slosh makes the car un-driveable.  The S14 has better fuel tank placement IMO - above the rear diff in between the shock towers.

The Mac-strut on the front of the S13 isnt bad - It has a forward holding tension rod with a separate LCA which bolt together.  This makes camber & caster changes possible on the cheap, outside of the meager allowances of the upper shock tower mount.

• Like 1

Yes Huggy the ka 24 is a lump and we have just settled for what it gives .. We have pulled off a few top tens and 3 B class wins but must swap to improve or get closer to the front .  Chump has gotten faster and we have not ..  I sure would love to wheel your swapped sx around.. oh and I do need to see what them e30s have going on too ..

On 1/10/2017 at 4:39 PM, okkustom said:

What chassis  s13 or s14 ?   both are good the 14 is heavier and bigger  ..  we love ours ,handles great ,lots of Nissan upgrades available ,17 gal gas tank. . Just needs more power , but points allow that ... only downside  they are getting  hard to come by as drifters and circle trackers have used a lot of them up ..   

S13!

How is this for convincing?

• Stock engine + header/intake
  • Cut stock springs
  • Lengthened front lower control arms
  • Bigger brakes (only recently, ran stock wheels+brakes for years)
  • 11 Race weekends
    • 5x 1st Place trophies (one was a sprint)
    • 2x 2nd Place trophies (plus two sprint 2nds which get no trophy)
    • 6x 3rd Place trophies

Everyone on our team has owned 240SXs so we know them inside and out. There are better cars to start with (SC300, etc) but the 240 is a lot of fun. Don't step too far outside of what the factory was doing (suspension-wise), these cars can become a mess if you don't know what you are doing. Our car handles so nice that it is very comfortable at the limit, very easy to balance.

We have really punched above our weight considering the 155hp engine, although I will admit.. the car will have a different engine before we race next. It takes a lot more work to get through traffic compared to the cars with horsepower.

IMG_20160325_100331.jpg

IMG_20150926_182448.jpg

Edited by knate
  • Like 8

We also run a 240. Last year was our first year. 2 self inflicted dnf's but in our second of three races no problems running 14 hours on a high horsepower track, Charlotte finished 8th overall and won our class. Just trying to squeeze a little more power this winter with the new tuning and add on rules.

• Like 1

All of my drivers love wheeling my S13 around, they say it's extremely comfortable to drive fast.  Well, they love it right up until the KA24 explodes.  I'm not thrilled with that either.

Improve the brakes, make very minor adjustments to the suspension geometry, and go for it.  Find a doable swap in the 185-190HP range and you'll have one *hell* of a racecar.

200 hp puts us over the edge all we can add is 185 ..and even then we have to get rid of some stuff .. would like to swap Trans also ..     OK back on topic does your friend want to get into the best RACING ever ?  If so he already has a great car he just needs to get off the couch and get on track to funville ..

• Like 2

On 1/13/2017 at 7:44 AM, Miata PI said:

This is all great!  Hell you guys have me wanting to build one!  @knate I think we have seen you at Laguna Seca before.  Hell of a car you guys have put together!

Yeah we were down there in July 2015, thanks! After that race we finally upgraded our brakes and we have been much happier.

On 1/12/2017 at 2:15 AM, knate said:

How is this for convincing?

• Stock engine + header/intake
  • Cut stock springs
  • Lengthened front lower control arms
  • Bigger brakes (only recently, ran stock wheels+brakes for years)
  • 11 Race weekends
    • 5x 1st Place trophies (one was a sprint)
    • 2x 2nd Place trophies (plus two sprint 2nds which get no trophy)
    • 6x 3rd Place trophies

Everyone on our team has owned 240SXs so we know them inside and out. There are better cars to start with (SC300, etc) but the 240 is a lot of fun. Don't step too far outside of what the factory was doing (suspension-wise), these cars can become a mess if you don't know what you are doing. Our car handles so nice that it is very comfortable at the limit, very easy to balance.

We have really punched above our weight considering the 155hp engine, although I will admit.. the car will have a different engine before we race next. It takes a lot more work to get through traffic compared to the cars with horsepower.

IMG_20160325_100331.jpg

IMG_20150926_182448.jpg

nr0sx.jpg

55 minutes ago, Lethal Cliff said:

We love our 240!  Very easy to drive.  The best part is that it is NOT A BMW!  

pit road.jpg

Hey dude    had a whale of a race with one of your guys last month at VIR , I drove 1st stint both days,  your aero was working me over but without that drag the front straight was mine ..lasted quite a while.  I think my old azz pulled off some razzle dazzle in traffic and said good by but it was fun wyle it lasted..

• Like 1