Is AER an arms race?

When we raced our E30 with them in 2015 we felt outgunned and that was just E36 M3s with big wings and MCS coilovers. Sahlens brought out their Caymans as well. It was fun being passed by them every 10 laps or so. 

A lot has changed since. E92 M3s, E46 M3s, C6 corvettes are all participating now. 

The class racing part is still fun, but not being able to even approach the overall takes a little bit of the fun out of it. 

That and sandbagging, which is supposedly under control now. It sure wasn't at MidO in 2015 though. 

• Members

I also find it interesting the prices people charge for seats in AER. Crazy. I saw one team that had Miatas that charged like $12K for a weekend and you brought however many drivers you wanted. Crazy. The going rate seems to be like $2500 per person per weekend.

I also talked to a team with the M3, newer V8 one, that charged in the $500-600 range per hour of rental on the track and write off cost on the car was $85K plus. I asked why and said things like the roll cage that costs 8-10K. I was like, wow. I spent $500-600 on my cage, prebent from Roll Cage Components and welded it in in a day or two and looked just as good or better. Definitely different money demographics they are playing there now. Another team bought the old (2-3 years old) Caddy CTS V8 for little money that was a $250K originally and the shocks cost more than my entire car alone. 

• Like 2

• Technical Advisory Committee
11 hours ago, scottyk said:

Good lord the money spent in that series, is it for real? Is it a race to Bankruptcy?

Chumpcar: Real Racing. Real Tracks. Real Cheap Cars!

WRL: A pro-level racing experience on an amateur racer’s budget.

AER: An amateur racing experience on a pro racer's budget. 

Edited by red0
  • Like 18

Since Chump quit running Summit and NJMP ee have looked at AER and it looks like a decent program. We are going to try and hit the Sept race in WV. You don't have to spend tons of money to go play. The entry fees are very competitive with Chump and LeMons. You will be racing with high priced cars, but there are plenty of Chumpy cars running. As a matter of fact if you go look at there "gallery" you will see a few Chump regulars. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigusnickus said:

When we raced our E30 with them in 2015 we felt outgunned and that was just E36 M3s with big wings and MCS coilovers. Sahlens brought out their Caymans as well. It was fun being passed by them every 10 laps or so. 

A lot has changed since. E92 M3s, E46 M3s, C6 corvettes are all participating now. 

The class racing part is still fun, but not being able to even approach the overall takes a little bit of the fun out of it. 

That and sandbagging, which is supposedly under control now. It sure wasn't at MidO in 2015 though. 

We were at the same AER race as Victorious Secret in 2015 at Mid Ohio.  I thought it was cool that the Sahlens cars were there and I didn't care about where we finished in the overall, I was only shooting for a podium in class. 

However as Nick said, the pointy end of AER has gotten more pointy. 

28 minutes ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

I also find it interesting the prices people charge for seats in AER. Crazy. I saw one team that had Miatas that charged like $12K for a weekend and you brought however many drivers you wanted. Crazy. The going rate seems to be like $2500 per person per weekend.

Some of the seat prices are out of sight.  There's one team asking $3500 to drive a Mustang at Road Atlanta.  I guess if the market can support it, that's great for all of us that rent seats. 

1 hour ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

I also talked to a team with the M3, newer V8 one, that charged in the $500-600 range per hour of rental on the track and write off cost on the car was $85K plus. I asked why and said things like the roll cage that costs 8-10K. I was like, wow. I spent $500-600 on my cage, prebent from Roll Cage Components and welded it in in a day or two and looked just as good or better. Definitely different money demographics they are playing there now. Another team bought the old (2-3 years old) Caddy CTS V8 for little money that was a $250K originally and the shocks cost more than my entire car alone. 

You could have my car and team for 12k...lol well maybe not the team...but for 12k you can have the car, our spare shell, spare engine, extra parts and a 30 pack of your favorite beverage. 

I like that AER has taken it's own place in the world.  If anything it has helped chumpcar because now it's what budget level do you want to play at.  There is no appeal to being a back marker in AER for me unless it was a close track and I just wanted seat time.

Edited by theblue
  • Like 2

• Members

I do not mind the high dollar cars. The idea that cars do not go out to die and just an hpde here and there when their time is up is nice. You can get race cars at like 10% original cost and race them. Now upkeep might be a bitch, but for people with money have at it.

The idea of racing though might be scary if the differential in speed though, like and Opel in Chumpcar, just saying.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Mopar 4 Life said:

So what you guys are saying is that the sneeky Pete system should go on the neon for road Atlanta?

For the record I would love love love to do the Chump road Atlanta. But two of my minions are headed to the islands that weekend so AER got the nod.

I too would rather race CCWS but doing both (islands and AER) seems like a win -win.

I ain't afraid of fast cars in AER- the fast ones in WRL at COTA were easy to manage.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, skierman64 said:

5 hours is nothing. 

Indeed it is and actually I have been seeing this trend in other racing formats. Too much supply- too many events , so people get lazy and expect everything on their doorsteps as normal.

Part of my attraction to CCWS was to travel to far away tracks that I had never been to, and get quality track time to boot. Heck- I know my local tracks so well, I look for reasons to travel outside of the 5 hour bubble.

I guess it is all relative.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, skierman64 said:

5 hours is nothing. 

maybe for you... but we are 4 guys with Mon-Firday jobs, have young kids and getting the required time off for a 3-4 day event is challenging.  We want to do Daytona, but that will be a week long thing complete with a Vacation.  That is why we make sure our car is LeMons legal and will be attempting an AER event. 

29 minutes ago, drKorf said:

Seems like the 2nd generation series (AER, LDRL, WRL) all have the same philosophy: bring any car, compete to win (in class). I like seeing the mix of pro builds and junk.

Not quite on LDRL, the car needs to be at least 15 years old although exceptions may be granted on a case by case basis.