Drivers wanted: NCM, VIR, AMP, BMP- C4 Vette

Looking for drivers for the last half of the year to race with.  Car: 1986 Vette, TPI 350 w/4 speed.  Drivers can expect 2 stints per race and are expected to help fuel/fix the car etc.  There will be spares and all realistic attempts will be made to make the car finish each race. 

Price is $1,200 per race.  Text me what race(s) to lock you in: 254-630-8672

I will also set up a standby list.         

4 drivers for NCM June 17-18,

6 drivers for VIR Aug 11-13,

3 drivers for AMP Oct 28-29

3 drivers for BMP Dec 9-10

No problem!  I have no racing history at all!  Besides a handful test n tunes at the drag strip and a summer doing local autocross- I have yet to be on a real track.  This is the main reason I came here to find experienced drivers vs rounding up the local guys in the break room so to speak.  

What I do bring to the table is my career in the Army.  I am an Automotive Maintenance Warrant Officer and have run maintenance teams for most of my 15 years of service.  I'm now at the tail end of my journey in the Army- and I want to make the transition of what I do into the "real world".  

Please ask any additional questions, and I will give an honest answer.  Do not hesitate to PM me your name if you wish to get on the list.  I will keep this post updated as the car develops.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

I am an Automotive Maintenance Warrant Officer and have run maintenance teams for most of my 15 years of service.  

There ya go, that helps.  People will want to know that you know what you are doing with a build, and can put a reliable, safe machine out there.    Did you choose the Vette platform because of prior ownership and understanding of that style of car ?  

Well, all started when I owned one of my last Camaros- a 1LE.  I heard the 1LE was so awesome- it took 1st place in SCCA.  I had no idea what that was- and the research begun.  Like many, thats how I found out about chumpcar- being the "affordable" alternative.  After spending probably over a year reading on the chump board and many other sites, I have actually owned an E30 and Z28 and just didnt like either.  My best friend, fellow Warrant Officer, and die hard Chevy guy suggested a Vette, and one of the rarest opportunities fell into my lap neting me a C4.

Except the E30 and a Tacoma- I have only driven Chevy.  Its just in my blood.  I actually joined the Army with dreams of working at a Chevy dealer after retirement.  Its the Heartbeat (of America) that I just cant shake.  The vette is a relatively simple car- I have a second trans, engine, and suspension pieces for it already.  Working to get a second set of wheels as well.  The cage is being made by James at rollcagecomponents.com.  The motor will be run stock for now - but I may throw a 6.0 in it if the L98 just isnt cutting it- and depending on how many people would like to come out and race the car.  

Dang! Jumping straight into the deep end!

Get the car and yourself on the track at a HPDE ASAP! Also get someone that can push the car to its limits to drive it as well.  Get video of the car running on a road course at speed, people like that.

I don't know C4 vettes (I would never consider racing a stockish C6Z as it would die quickly, 30 min is hard enough on it), but replace or plan to replace every single piece of rubber with new, polyurethane or delrin. Good oil pressure, indefinite oil temps below 280F (lower is better) and water below 220F will make you and your engine happier.

Make a post in the tech section and get some advice about racing a C4 vette, especially about oiling issues/solutions with SBC engines.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BeastZ06 said:

Dang! Jumping straight into the deep end!

Get the car and yourself on the track at a HPDE ASAP! Also get someone that can push the car to its limits to drive it as well.  Get video of the car running on a road course at speed, people like that.

I don't know C4 vettes (I would never consider racing a stockish C6Z as it would die quickly, 30 min is hard enough on it), but replace or plan to replace every single piece of rubber with new, polyurethane or delrin. Good oil pressure, indefinite oil temps below 280F (lower is better) and water below 220F will make you and your engine happier.

Make a post in the tech section and get some advice about racing a C4 vette, especially about oiling issues/solutions with SBC engines.

A lot of great advice up there

Get the car and yourself on the track at a HPDE ASAP!

This one is really important.  If you and the car have no track experience, you really don't want to start selling seats.  Go to Chin Motorsports or any other HPDE and get the car out on track and find out what the bugs are (ALL cars have teething problems).  At the same time, you will be learning how to drive on a track (which is not something you really want to do in live races.  A new driver in a well sorted car, that can work, but a new driver in a new car is a recipe for disaster in a race).

Race weekends are expensive, if you only drive 20 minutes and the car breaks.  I've seen a lot of that in my time in Chump.  You are much better off at a HPDE where you sessions are 20-40 minutes and then you have a long break.  You can fix what breaks (and usually get some of the people around you to help, since they aren't in the middle of a race).

If you haven't gone to a Chump race yet, you should go and volunteer to do some pit work for a team.  Spend the whole weekend talking to people and learning what it takes to make a POC car last 24 hours in race conditions.  It is a lot of work.  Almost everyone will be willing to give you tips though.  If it is convenient, maybe even trailer your car in so people can look at it and give you advice...   GOOD LUCK AND HOPE TO SEE YOU OUT THERE!

• Like 1

@Jay If you want to come crew with us at the VIR 12 hour in March, we'd love to have you. I have an Army maintenance background myself (35T in the 101st ABN, AIR ASSAULT!) and would be happy to share what goes into finishing at the 24 hour where we took the A class honors in our Miata. At the Chumpionship we bought and built a car in the paddock after blowing up the motor on day 1, passed tech, and took the checker flag on day 2.

• Like 1

As someone said, have a FAST driver try the car. They put a different load on the car and new problems/issues will show up.

We thought our car was super solid but we where a bunch of rookies that weren't going very fast. We got some good drivers on the team and problems/issues starting to show up.

Some examples:

- Fuel starvation happens if you drive like a maniac when <1/4 tank

- Engine moves around a lot if you push the car (not good....)

- [insert any part] wears faster if you exposed it to more heat and movement

It is also MUCH more fun to drive a well sorted car than a poop car. 

Also practice pit stops, there are no reason that they should take more than the minimum time of 5min. 

Edited by turbogrill
brain fart

Agreed, lots of good advice and hard-earned experience talking. Jay, don't take any of this negatively. We all learned the hard way.

Heck, my team did the maintenance, did some HPDE events, and still blew the head gasket barely an hour into our first race. We probably just didn't push it hard enough to fail at the DE events.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Lol- keeping a car running is the least of my concern!  Not having a team to drive the car is overwhelming!

If you think it's getting stressful now, just wait until you're at the track, with $1,000's of dollars in entry fees, tires, fuel and spares and other drivers' airfare, hotel rooms and vacation time!  Keeping the car running is a big deal and harder than you may think. My neon just started racing in Sept. 2015, it has the equivalent of 10,000+ drag strip passes on it already in only 4 races!  These cars run at WOT for probably 70% of a 14 hr race, you can hear the grease boiling off moisture in the hubs and smell everything burning slowing.

Come to watch a race first and ask questions to those few that don't looked overwhelmed, I wish I did, it would have helped immensely.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Price is $1,200 per race. 

I assume that's $1200 per weekend, not per race. 

Get the car and yourself on the track at a HPDE ASAP!

This, however to do this you'll need two seats and two harnesses because the instructor will need one.  Look for something used.  I found an extra seat and harness for $100. 

A lot of great advice up there

This one is really important.  If you and the car have no track experience, you really don't want to start selling seats.  Go to Chin Motorsports or any other HPDE and get the car out on track and find out what the bugs are (ALL cars have teething problems).  At the same time, you will be learning how to drive on a track (which is not something you really want to do in live races.  A new driver in a well sorted car, that can work, but a new driver in a new car is a recipe for disaster in a race).

Race weekends are expensive, if you only drive 20 minutes and the car breaks.  I've seen a lot of that in my time in Chump.  You are much better off at a HPDE where you sessions are 20-40 minutes and then you have a long break.  You can fix what breaks (and usually get some of the people around you to help, since they aren't in the middle of a race).

If you haven't gone to a Chump race yet, you should go and volunteer to do some pit work for a team.  Spend the whole weekend talking to people and learning what it takes to make a POC car last 24 hours in race conditions.  It is a lot of work.  Almost everyone will be willing to give you tips though.  If it is convenient, maybe even trailer your car in so people can look at it and give you advice...   GOOD LUCK AND HOPE TO SEE YOU OUT THERE!

Concur, lots of good advice. 

Good luck, welcome to the madness. 

I assume that's $1200 per weekend, not per race. 

This, however to do this you'll need two seats and two harnesses because the instructor will need one.  Look for something used.  I found an extra seat and harness for $100. 

Concur, lots of good advice. 

Good luck, welcome to the madness. 

Price is per event.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2017 at 8:43 PM, Jay said:

No problem!  I have no racing history at all!  Besides a handful test n tunes at the drag strip and a summer doing local autocross- I have yet to be on a real track.  This is the main reason I came here to find experienced drivers vs rounding up the local guys in the break room so to speak.  

What I do bring to the table is my career in the Army.  I am an Automotive Maintenance Warrant Officer and have run maintenance teams for most of my 15 years of service.  I'm now at the tail end of my journey in the Army- and I want to make the transition of what I do into the "real world".  

Please ask any additional questions, and I will give an honest answer.  Do not hesitate to PM me your name if you wish to get on the list.  I will keep this post updated as the car develops.  

Jay you are welcome to come join the racing for heroes team. We are an all veteran race team. www.racingforheroes.org also look on face 

Book racing for heroes. Best regards Mike Evock CW3 SF retired 910 916 0284