Floor mount versus hanging pedals

Ham Sammich

Anybody with an opinion on this?  from what I've seen while searching, If it's a 50/50 kind of debate, which is easier to install and service?  I'm thinking floor would have to be, but I have no experience here.  Any hot rod or street car we've ever built has always had hanging pedals. This isn't a debate about points or rules.  Just an opinion on the pedals.

Geometry and clearances of the application is probably the biggest determining factor.  What's on either side of the firewall, where do the masters and reservoirs fit, etc.  I've seen older rods with bottom mount.  Factory for my old Ghia is bottom mount, but I switched to top when I put my Tilton set-up in it.  Easier to mount and get at in that particular instance.

• Like 2

I like the reverse reservoir top mount..  For me it's easy to think of adding a bar below the dash to mount them off of..  Masters back toward the driver..  Remote reservoir on the dash bar..

image.jpeg

Edited by Xph
  • Like 2

From a drivers perspective, floor mount is a more natural motion.  But as mentioned, installation,rules and cost typically drive what type is installed.  Floor mount boxes (at least from AP) are usually considerably more expensive than hanging.

Here is some newly-released pedal-box pron:

Reverse-mount, pull-type, sliding pedal box

Bring that big boy wallet.  5-figures, not including the masters, reservoirs, etc. :blink:

2 hours ago, Bremsen said:

Bring that big boy wallet.  5-figures, not including the masters, reservoirs, etc. :blink:

And I see that as the rub for chump...   yes there are pedals in that range...  but that setup above was about 500$  and you can get some wilwood pedals with three masters for around 300, includes the bias adjuster...

Yeh I know, but its apples-oranges.  I posted mainly to show what is found at the highest pro levels.  That box in particular is meant specifically for top tier GT endurance racing (LMP, GTLM, etc) where the FIA is toying with a fixed seat rule.  Its not really for your average racer and certainly not for a chumpcar.

I agree the Tilton setup is a great value and where I usually point customers who gasp (or laugh hysterically) when I give them the price for an AP box.

Interesting side note, the engineer that designed that Tilton box now heads our engineering dept.

Edited by Bremsen
  • Like 1

While you might be looking at this thread and thinking "driver comfort", we have a previous [O]fficial forum ruling that says nice 'pedal sets are value-add.

Same time last year. Old management, old rulebook, but I'd expect the verdict to be the same.

Edited by takjak2
masters -> pedals

12 hours ago, Xph said:

I like the reverse reservoir top mount..  For me it's easy to think of adding a bar below the dash to mount them off of..  Masters back toward the driver..  Remote reservoir on the dash bar..

You do know that brake fluid is flammable, right?

2 hours ago, takjak2 said:

While you might be looking at this thread and thinking "driver comfort", we have a previous [O]fficial forum ruling that says nice 'pedal sets are value-add.

Same time last year. Old management, old rulebook, but I'd expect the verdict to be the same.

That thread, along with the infamous shifter handle vs shifter knob thread are certainly not the direction the new leadership has headed...  I do concede that the rule book was not updated to be "pedal cover" as it was to amend shifter to "shifter knob"..

4.7.2. Driver comfort & information items are open and do not count towards total points (i.e. - steering wheel, removable steering wheel adapter, shifter handles, gauges, pedals, cool suits, vents, heaters, radio communications, etc.)

The direction I received from tech after that thread was they would take it on a case by case basis...  Master cylinders are free (and are still free in 2017); bias adjusters (this includes balance bars per tech) are also free (however as of 2016 adding a second master was 50 points).

I will leave it there however, since Bob clearly stated he was asking for opinions outside of the debates about points or rules.

• Administrators

Per Phil, pedal boxes and aftermarket pedals are zero add.

We have a fixed seat, and one driver that is close to 4'ish tall. I won't mention his name, but Troy always complains about not being able to reach the pedals. the movable box is badass and it would be worth the money for me. Thanks!!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

A LOT.  I wasn't joking about 5-figures.  Probably somewhere in the $9000-10000 range for the box and cylinders. 

What about a floor mount Tilton box on a set of seat sliders?  Seems like it would be pretty simple to build a plate to mount to seat sliders and bolt a floor mount box to it.