CAD software

I occasionally draw up pictures for custom parts for my two cars.  I am using a cheap old CAD programs for my MAC (turbo CAD).  It is very frustrating to use at times because I don't think it works very well on my MAC or the version is just so old that it doesn't work on the newer OS systems.  I know Solid Works is best CAD software out there but I can't afford that.  

What are others using for CAD programs for both MACs and PCs that are affordable?  The only thing I really need to do is 2D drawings and be able to export to .pdf and .dxf files.

thanks

JC

• Administrators

I work for a University, so I get the latest Solid Works and AutoDesk software for free. I prefer SolidWorks because it is so easy to use. Siemens Solid Edge PLM 2D is free and is really good too. But all of those are for PCs. 

Now I am a mac house and do use AutoCad for MAC. The new version which I think is still 2014, is actually pretty good. Not as easy as solid works, but I think it is better in some ways. 

CAD and affordable really don't go together.

• Like 1

Cant speak to Solidworks on a Mac, but Solidworks while expensive for commercial versions has a 150$ student price (for high school or college students, and the student edition is available at a super price of only 20$ for Military Veterans)

For non professional users its really a great deal.

Edited by Xph
  • Like 1

I have used Solidworks, Autodesk (inventor and mech desktop), and NX (ugh, worst assembly interface ever). Personally if you can get any of solidworks, Inventor, or i hear Solidedge (which is like solidworks), it should be intuitive enough to do most parts without any training. i liked solidworks drafting ability over the others.

1 hour ago, dimitri.mariutto said:

Using CAD is not very chumpy. Should have to declare it when going through tech and get classed as EC.  :P

Need it for our 3d printed carbon fiber parts :) 

In all seriousness though, anyone spending time doing stuff in SOLIDWORKS is probably not your biggest competitor, you need to hate on the drivers, not the engineers...  its those cheaty bastages that can drive the wheels off a corolla that you need to worry about; not the ones with the McMaster Carr catalog open trying to find the correct length jackscrew for the perfect hoe made camber adjuster...

Even the CFD we try to do with the model we have of our car is dubious at best...  it will still require way too much real world testing using sensors and equipment we dont have access to to prove out, and the models are still static and pretty weak... (but look cool)

• Like 4

23 hours ago, AtlJimK said:

SketchUp can do what you require. Free version except for exporting 3d dxf's.

I use SketchUp for various projects, and it has worked well for me. There is pretty good tutorial support out there, as well as plug-ins depending on what you are trying to do.

With enough plug-ins and expertise, you could do a whole car...

3 hours ago, JBgotM said:

I use SketchUp for various projects, and it has worked well for me. There is pretty good tutorial support out there, as well as plug-ins depending on what you are trying to do.

With enough plug-ins and expertise, you could do a whole car...

Wow! That is hella impressive.

Any idea if the files are exportable to other CAD platforms? (can you save as a step file?)

Edited by enginerd

1 hour ago, enginerd said:

Wow! That is hella impressive.

Any idea if the files are exportable to other CAD platforms? (can you save as a step file?)

Sketchup has a pretty solid range of built-in export options, and then there are 3rd-party extensions for basically whatever else you need.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2017 at 8:16 AM, jkrueger said:

Just for full disclosure, the parts I am making are for a ST2 car in NASA, not for my chump car.  I just figured that the chumps out there might know about such things.  In my experience Chump racers are very ingenious.  

JC

There are free ways to get solidworks, especially if only for personal use.

No more will be said by me.

Otherwise Sketchup is impressively powerful in my experience

Edited by shields8

21 hours ago, shields8 said:

There are free ways to get solidworks, especially if only for personal use.

No more will be said by me.

Otherwise Sketchup is impressively powerful in my experience

I will say that solidworks calls home...  if you are using a mechanism that uses a 3rd party activation you need to know what you are doing to prevent this.  There are reports over the internet that solidworks actually grabs your email address from your primary email client as part of its call home, and people are getting cease and desist emails from them due to improper activation.

43 minutes ago, Xph said:

I will say that solidworks calls home...  if you are using a mechanism that uses a 3rd party activation you need to know what you are doing to prevent this.  There are reports over the internet that solidworks actually grabs your email address from your primary email client as part of its call home, and people are getting cease and desist emails from them due to improper activation.

Crazy. I must have known what I was doing at the time (granted a few years ago)